Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cax80 keeps dropping internet connection

Jjoshrtca
Guide

Levels are obviously fine if static ip devices work and yes I’ve checked and they’re fine thanks
Message 51 of 69
FURRYe38
Guru

Then lets continue to post in your DHCP posts. 

Thank you. 

Message 52 of 69
jesmith602
Apprentice

I made it 4 days without disconnects, but they are back. Generally only lasting 6-12 seconds, but six the the past 24 hours.

Why is this modem so problematic and why isn't Netgear doing anyting about it??

Message 53 of 69
BEB7474
Star

This is my exact problem except my hardwire & wireless disconnect. Has your problem been resolved yet? If so, what did you do?
Message 54 of 69
jesmith602
Apprentice

Message 55 of 69
michaelmx
Aspirant

This is happening to me and it's unbelievable. I can turn off router mode and use my other nighthawk but I don't want to because this router was $400 and should work fine.

Message 56 of 69
FURRYe38
Guru

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

Message 57 of 69
Jjoshrtca
Guide

Yah dude this is UN 👏 AC 👏 CEP 👏 TA 👏 BLE! And of course Netgear comes out with some stupid update that only serves the purpose of milking their consumers for even MORE money for some presumably crappy security system (as if they didn’t already try that bs when I called tech support to fix my device after I followed some bad advice on this forum). NEVER again will I buy another Netgear POS ANYTHING!! I should’ve know they still haven’t gotten their act together from the last time I bought their crappy 802.11n WiFi extenders and network adapters. This company is garbage. They STILL don’t even have this model in their list on this forum.

Btw do NOT change DHCP limit to 100 as I had to hard/factory reset my device from the device (which involved multiple attempts to get the process JUUUST right and scavaging my entire place for a freakin paper clip). 🙄
Message 58 of 69
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 59 of 69
michaelmx
Aspirant

The MODEM is fine. The ROUTER is trash.

I can disable Router  mode and use my nighthawk and things work fine. 

I honestly knew I would be sacrificing something with this compact form. My other Nighthawk with 4 antennas works splendidly.

You guys really need to issue partial refunds for this.

Message 60 of 69
Jjoshrtca
Guide

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem.
It’s fine.
Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
They have otherwise it wouldn’t work.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box.
There’s not.
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem.
It’s a cable. The ISP provides it and it’s fine because they don’t want to have to send a tech back out.
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.
I literally have do this EVERY OTHER DAY! My phones and computers dropping it is one thing but my smart/IoT devices dropping it is a completely different story because those aren’t as easy to reboot/reset.
Message 61 of 69
FURRYe38
Guru

Something that the forums can't help with. You'll need to contact NG support about problems your having with your product. 

Good Luck.

Message 62 of 69
BEB7474
Star

I totally agree. Biggest waste of $ I've ever spent. Tech support is worthless. You should send back if not too late. I waited too late.
Message 63 of 69
Jjoshrtca
Guide

Not sure why this forum doesn’t do quotes but to the guy who said this:

“ The MODEM is fine. The ROUTER is trash.

I can disable Router mode and use my nighthawk and things work fine.

I honestly knew I would be sacrificing something with this compact form. My other Nighthawk with 4 antennas works splendidly.

You guys really need to issue partial refunds for this.”

I called tech support and they only milked me for more money than the half a grand I already spent on this piece of trash. No refund.

Anybody interested in filing a class action lawsuit email netgearlawsuit@protonmail.com

In the meantime I’ve emailed ddwrt about a firmware request.
Message 64 of 69
Jjoshrtca
Guide

“I totally agree. Biggest waste of $ I've ever spent. Tech support is worthless. You should send back if not too late. I waited too late.”

I was too late, too.
Message 65 of 69
cwdancer42
Aspirant

I have been having the same issues with my CAX80 dropping out TCP ports. The wireless is fine. it never drops out. This started about 3 months after I purchased it. I paid $460 for this router instead of getting the router from my ISP.  I pay MORE for Internet by using my own router. I also have a 24 port Netgear managed switch JGS524Ev2 that shows it is disconnected  as well from the router. I can perform internet speed test on the CAX80 when it drops the connection to the switch.   Infinty has verified my fiber and coax to the house. NO Splitters are used. comes directly into the router and patched to the switch. all in a network cabinet. I am a controls engineer and this router is a Piece of crap.  I have used Netgear for years and this is the first time I have had serious issues. Firmware is updated. V2.1.1.4  My serial number is 60R1047JA0267.  This is a brand new house. CAT6E and RG6 cabling. Moved in June 2, 2020.  

I want a new router or a new firmware that fixes this bug. The switch firmware is. v9.0.0.21.  I see V9.2.0.6 is available. I am downloading now and going to install.   also, do I need to turn off DHCP client on the switch?  I have a static IP set. 192.168.1.221    CAX80 is 192.168.1.1  

Thanks,

cwdancer42

Message 66 of 69
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes I would try disabling any DHCP services on the switch if present. 

Try the CAX80 with out the switch as well to see if the problem still happens. 

Message 67 of 69
cwdancer42
Aspirant

When i installed the modem/router. I had Infinity here. they just installed the service. They stayed until the Router was setup.  My issue started about 3 months later with it dropping the wired ports, not WiFi. I could always connect to the WiFi and have internet.  Rebooting router or waiting 3 to 5 min would restore the LAN connections .

Message 68 of 69
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the CAX80 with out the switch as well to see if the problem still happens. 

Message 69 of 69
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 68 replies
  • 46 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7