Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cm1200 port isolation

fcano42
Guide

Cm1200 port isolation

I would like to set up an second Wi-Fi network at home for my IOT devices and I’d like to keep it as isolated as possible from my home network.

If I put a second Nitehawk router connected to one of the other cm1200’s 4 ports, will it work? and if so how much isolation will there be?

I assume they will share the same IP address?? So will the CM1200 keep routing tables (right terminology??) to funnel traffic to the right port (normalwifi router or second Wi-Fi router for IOT)?

Thanks!
Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem
Message 1 of 6
antinode
Guru

> If I put a second Nitehawk router connected to one of the other
> cm1200's 4 ports, will it work? [..]

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual (at least).  Read.  Look for the
suggested usage of the Ethernet ports.

Failing that, you might ask your ISP how useful those additional
ports are with your (residential?) service.

My guess would be no.

> [...] So will the CM1200 keep routing tables (right terminology??)
> [...]

It might do something like that _if_ it were a router.  But it's only
a modem, so it knows approximately nothing abour routing.

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

It's possible if your ISP supports having another IP addresss on the same coax line. Someting to ask you ISP about. There maybe a cost fee to support that if they do. The main purpose of the CM1100 and 1200 is to support ISPs that can push more than 1 WAN IP to the modem thus the ability to have diffent WAN IPs assigned to each port. 

Something to try out, connect another router to Port #2 and see if it gets an IP address, connect a wired PC to this router and see if it connects to the internet.

@fcano42 wrote:
I would like to set up an second Wi-Fi network at home for my IOT devices and I’d like to keep it as isolated as possible from my home network.

If I put a second Nitehawk router connected to one of the other cm1200’s 4 ports, will it work? and if so how much isolation will there be?

I assume they will share the same IP address?? So will the CM1200 keep routing tables (right terminology??) to funnel traffic to the right port (normalwifi router or second Wi-Fi router for IOT)?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 6
AdeptMaven
Guide

It's not possible to share the same IP address for two routers. You would have to get a second IP address from your ISP (which most, if willing to do so, charge an additional fee). If you do chose to do that then yes you would two totally different networks. Not sure which IOT devices you are trying to set up but most of the them (google home devices, nest, amazon alexa, philips hue, etc etc) require you to be on the same network to control/interact with them. One thing you can try is enabling the guest network on your router and connecting your IOT devices to that. But again thats treated as a seperate network (which is your goal?) so any device on your guest network wont be able to communicate with devices on your main network (for example if you have a chromecast/smart tv on your guest network, any device on your main network would not be able to send media to it). 

Message 4 of 6
fcano42
Guide

Thanks all for the info. Plugging another router into a spare CM1200 will not “see the internet”. So this won’t work. I have had bad experience with Netgear’s implementation of guest networks on the same router. For the R7000 and R8000 I have seen significant performance loss for the normal network.

I have decided to use the spare router as an AP and put my IOT devices on the AP’s guest network. That should do what I want of keeping the IOT devices “off” the same network with my laptops and phones.
Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok was curious if your ISP allowed a 2nd WAN IP address if you connected a router to the 2nd port. You'd have to call them about that if you wanted to do that later on. Sounds like your up and running with a AP mode configuration. 

Mark your thread as solved so other will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7