Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cm500

Jackhayes35
Tutor

Cm500

My Ethernet cable will not connect any reason y I’ve done all the necessary steps to sign up my modem. I have it set up to my XBox is that why?
Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: Cm500

What router do you have connected to the cm500?

For most home installations, it should go:

modem----->router---->devices

Unless you only have intentions of using a single device. 

Message 2 of 11
Jackhayes35
Tutor

As of now it’s my modem into my computer
Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

did you power off the modem and computer. Then power on the modem and give it a couple minutes. then power on the computer? 

did you get the modem activated by your ISP?

Message 4 of 11
Jackhayes35
Tutor

No I activated it on my own!
Message 5 of 11
Jackhayes35
Tutor

My internet works on the computer but will not on my Xbox
Message 6 of 11
plemans
Guru

do you have a screen snip of the cable connections page and event logs? 

Message 7 of 11
plemans
Guru

the ISP only assigns 1 public IP address. when your computer connects to it, it gets assigned that address. 

When you want to switch it to the xbox, you'd need to power off the modem for a couple minutes and then power it back on with nothing connected. Then connect the xbox. 

I've seen some isp's take 10-30 minutes to reassign the IP address. most its just the 2 minutes but some take longer. 

Probably worth it to invest in a router so you can connect both devices. 

Even a cheap router would do the job if you've only got 2 hardwired in devices. 

Message 8 of 11
docdave319
Aspirant

manual entry of a MAC address

TV has started dropping internet after a power off cycle, requiring factory reset to regain it. Mfg says I need to have the TV MAC address manually input into the modem to rectify this. Anyody know how to do that?

Model: CM500|16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
Message 9 of 11

Re: manual entry of a MAC address

@docdave319 wrote:

TV has started dropping internet after a power off cycle, requiring factory reset to regain it. Mfg says I need to have the TV MAC address manually input into the modem to rectify this. Anyody know how to do that?

Do you own the CM500 listed in your footer?

If so, then this is not the right place to get help.

The CM500 is a cable modem. It does not have a router built in. So there is thing you can do to feed it with Mac addresses. That will be down to whatever router you have on your network behind the modem.

If you have a Netgear router, you have joined in on an existing conversation that may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

There is also a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

If you do want help with your problem, check previous stuff that may be related then start your own discussion.

If you do decide to ask a question, you should provide more details and your own version of the information that the forum suggests that you provide.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Cable Modem products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Cable modems and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/bd-p/home-cable-modems-routers

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

@Jackhayes35 wrote:
My Ethernet cable will not connect any reason y I’ve done all the necessary steps to sign up my modem. I have it set up to my XBox is that why?

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7