Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Comcast - Not Compatible Any Longer?/Firmware Update

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Comcast - Not Compatible Any Longer?/Firmware Update

Appears that the C7800 Netgear cable modem is no longer compatilble with Xfinity.  It shows on my account that "filters not compatible."  This correct?  Also, my Netgear app is stating firmware not compatible but shows the latest on the Genie.  I contacted Netgear and Comcast and both are pointing fingers at one another that they are not responsible for updating the firmware.

Suggestions?  Thanks.

Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

It's up to the ISP to set weather or not mfr modems work on there networks or not. Modem Mfrs don't set this rule. ISPs work with modem mfrs to get firmware from them and ISPs test this FW out on there netowrks first before pushing to user modems. Some ISPs will NOT push FW to user owned modems. I believe CC does and the C7800 is compatible. 

List of modems the FW versions per each ISP that supports them:

https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mod...

ALSO, users can not update FW on cable modems. This is always done by the ISP. 

Message 2 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thank you.  I am still having issues with the Netgear app.  Something is off.

The routerlogin page shows the correct Firmware version.  App still says that firmware is outdated and is basically useless.  Disappointed with both Netgear and Comcast at this point on several fronts. 

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Ignore the app. Its horrible at firmware with the combo units.

I'm with xfinity and have a C7800. I registered it really quick on mine just to make sure it worked and it did. 

Plus my page still shows it compatible. 

But I only have internet through them. That might be one of the filters you're talking about. 

So internet only: still working/compatible as far as I"m aware

Message 4 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thank you! Crazy - Spent an hour with an Xfinity tech on chat and I don’t believe they understood firmware.
Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

ISP's are great at messing up the firmware information. the firmware is sent when they provision the modem. So rarely does it get updated because anytime its updated, the ISP has to recertify it which costs them $. so we rarely see combo devices get updated. 

You can check what version the isp should be on (not always correct either)

https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mod...

Message 6 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Great info!! Any WiFi standalone router you would recommend for 3000 sq.ft. home?
Thanks!
Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

when you start getting above that 2200-2500sqft, I usually start steering people to mesh systems. 

they don't have the peak speed of the flagship routers but do tend to have higher consistent speeds throughout the home. 

And I'm a fan of the triband mesh systems and not dual band. 

If you're looking for single router soluctions, the R7800 is what I'd recommend for the AC routers. 

In terms of AX, I'm a bit torn as I've only used a few so not sure what I'd actually recommend in terms of stability/rock solid device. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7