Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Comcast charges me for 250Mbps, however, I only get a download speed of 52 Mbps

pdsleeth
Aspirant

Comcast charges me for 250Mbps, however, I only get a download speed of 52 Mbps

Whatever speed I have works fine for my household. Do I need to pay Comcast for the extra speed of 250 Mbps? Or should I lower down to 100 Mbps? Is my C3700 keeping me from attaining higher speeds? Comcast wants me to rent their modem.

Model: C3700|N600 Cable Gateway Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Comcast charges me for 250Mbps, however, I only get a download speed of 52 Mbps

always run speedtests via http://speedtest.xfinity.com/

Comcast will only support these values. 

personally, I think you should be ok with 75 Mbps or 100 Mbps plan if you are using using speeds > 100 Mbps anyway. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Comcast charges me for 250Mbps, however, I only get a download speed of 52 Mbps

I believe (you need to double check on comcast website) that C3700 is only compliant to work with 200 Mbps tier. 

If you are happy with 52 Mbps, you should lower the package to 100 Mbps or even 50 Mbps to save $$$.

did you test the speeds wired? you should get atleast 200 Mbps on C3700 wired. 

Message 2 of 4
pdsleeth
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

I did test wired and got about 100 Mbps, the highest the test goes on speedtest.net, which Netgear genie steers me to, because I don't understand the conversion to Kbps (which read 4013), which is what is on the Netgear genie measurement.

For everyday use, however I use wireless for my home computers and video streaming on televisions and ipads, so that seems the more relevant number? What I mean is, if I'm happy with the performance at 52 Mbps, and I can save $$ by lowering it to 100 or so, I should then? I guess I could always have Comcast raise it again if needed.

Thank you for your thoughts, I am a woefully ignorant man in these areas.

Message 3 of 4
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

always run speedtests via http://speedtest.xfinity.com/

Comcast will only support these values. 

personally, I think you should be ok with 75 Mbps or 100 Mbps plan if you are using using speeds > 100 Mbps anyway. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7