Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Compatibility of Netgear CM2000 with Ooma voice telephone service

Timpanist-1
Aspirant

Compatibility of Netgear CM2000 with Ooma voice telephone service

Hello Netgear Users ----

I  purchased but have not yet connected a new Netgear Nighthawk CM2000 2.5 Gpps internet speed cable modem. I've had problems getting good voice reception on my internet based Ooma telephone service, so I'm wondering if any of you have experienced internet telephone service with your Netgear Nighthawk CM2000?

Also, I bought this mdem because my ISP (Cox Communications) wants me to upgrade to DOCSIS 3.1 from my currnet DOCSIS 3.0. So what expereiences have folks out there had implementing this DOCSIS upgrade? Thanks!

Martin

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Compatibility of Netgear CM2000 with Ooma voice telephone service

What router is it going through? 

What is your current modem? 

What speeds do you pay for? 

What speeds do you actually get? 

In my experience, voip devices tend to not need a whole lot of bandwidth. It tends to either be a router issue or the ooma service that has issues. It isn't usually a modem issue and if it is a modem issue, its not isolated to voip devices. 

Message 2 of 5
Timpanist-1
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply! The Router is a Netgear Nighthawk R7000. Speedtest comes back at Download 60  mbps, Upload 30 mbps and the number of Pings varies, sometimes as low as 10, sometimes as high as 90. I wonder if these numbers will vary much depending on local traffic on the Wi-Fi or the local neighborhood? Ooma suspects the Router is the issue, but this Router is just around 4 years old.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

Is the ooma hardwired in or wireless? 

Does it happen if the ooma is directly wired into the modem? 

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Try putting the OOMA IP address into the R7000s DMZ...

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7