Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Configure netgear to my smart tv

trinaw518
Follower

Configure netgear to my smart tv

I recently bought a samsung link stick to connect my smart tv to the internet wirelessly. I was told my the Netgear support that I will need to configure my netgear router to connect to my television in order to have internet capability, however he wanted to charge $200 to do so, hence he sent me to this forum. I think he said that certain ports are not open and would need to be in order to get a wireless connection. Can ANYONE please help me??? This has been on ongoing issue passed back and forth from my internet provider, cable provider and Samsung. NOW it seems as if we have a way to resolve it, however I have no idea how to do it without guidance. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Message 1 of 12
TheEther
Guru

I don't know what Netgear support told you.  You should not have to open any ports in order to access the Internet.

I found these instructions on eHow (link).  It looks pretty straightforward.  Use the menu on your TV to join your Wi-Fi network and enter the Wi-Fi password.  That should be all that is necessary.

Message 2 of 12
HiThere22
Star

You are very incorrect, you may need to open ports to acess the internet, reasons why XBOX and Ps4 needs ports to be opened when they cant acess the internet.,

Message 3 of 12
HiThere22
Star

Go ahead and try this Samsung is know for having issues with their security mode even though they say they do Support wpa2 alot of times they dont. Go ahead and try connecting with WPA TKIP and see if it connects be aware TKIP will drop your wifi speeds but we will use it as a test. If it does not connect with WPA-TKIP go ahead and try an open network and see if it connects if not  I would set a static IP then place your TV into a DMZ mode then reset the rotuer then try the tv again however you will have to turn the TV off and on again.

Message 4 of 12
HiThere22
Star

Also you need to find out the IP of your  router netgear by defult should be 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. when prompted it will ask you to log in, on the bottom of your router should have a log in, something like admin for the username and password for the password, could be different go ahead and check on the router and see what it says, then from there log on. This will help if you wish to DMZ your device http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1118/~/how-do-i-configure-a-device-to-be-in-the-dmz-on...

This should help with port fowarding 

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24046/~/how-do-i-configure-port-forwarding-on-routers-...

NOW YOU MUST SET A STATIC IP IF YOU DONT WHEN YOU RESET YOUR ROUTER YOU WILL LOSE THE PORTS FOR THAT IP YOU ASSIGNED DUE TO THE DHCP RESETTING! 

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20486/~/how-to-enter-a-static-ip-address-on-a-netgear-...

That should help for the static ip^

Message 5 of 12
TheEther
Guru

@HiThere22 wrote:

You are very incorrect, you may need to open ports to acess the internet, reasons why XBOX and Ps4 needs ports to be opened when they cant acess the internet.,

In the context of this discussion (i.e. OP trying to connect a TV to Wi-Fi), I am correct.  It is not necessary to open ports to access the Internet.  The firewall in a consumer router, by default, does not restrict traffic initiated from LAN to WAN (i.e. home to Internet).  It will also permit return traffic associated with the outgoing traffic.  This is why it's not necessary to open ports to surf the web or stream a video, which is probably what the OP wants to do with a Smart TV.

OTOH, if something on the Internet wants to access something, unsolicited, in the home network behind a consumer router, like an XBox, PS4 or even a server, then it's necessary to open ports.  Many peer-to-peer games on XBox or PS4 need to receive unsolicited traffic from other players on the Internet.  

Anyway, opening ports or putting a device into the DMZ don't seem particularly relevant to this thread.  Let's focus on connecting OP's TV to Wi-Fi. 

Message 6 of 12
HiThere22
Star

You are still incorrect. I know for a fact, because I work as Tier 2 rep for CC, everyday I get calls related to this issue and DMZ with a static IP will fix the issue or PF. Same thing related to network security mode, a device will say connected but not to the internet. Again you are wrong.

Message 7 of 12
HiThere22
Star

And not to mention this fourm is related that even a "Netgear rep" presented the idea to use PF so If 3 reps who work in networking are claming to PF and or DMZ the device even try changing the security mode, I am sure we are right. Thanks.

Message 8 of 12
TheEther
Guru

@HiThere22 wrote:

You are still incorrect. I know for a fact, because I work as Tier 2 rep for CC, everyday I get calls related to this issue and DMZ with a static IP will fix the issue or PF. Same thing related to network security mode, a device will say connected but not to the internet. Again you are wrong.

Since you seem to be so sure that you are correct that getting a Smart TV with a Samsung LinkStick connected to the Internet requires ports to be opened, perhaps you can share the specific port numbers with us and the reason they need to be opened.  My Samsung TV has never required any ports to be opened in order to access the Internet.

Message 9 of 12
netwrks
Master

@TheEther wrote:

@HiThere22 wrote:

Since you seem to be so sure that you are correct that getting a Smart TV with a Samsung LinkStick connected to the Internet requires ports to be opened, perhaps you can share the specific port numbers with us and the reason they need to be opened.  My Samsung TV has never required any ports to be opened in order to access the Internet.

Some people's kids..

Message 10 of 12
KernalJim
Initiate

I can confirm the dmz did  fixed my Samsung TV  it said connected and everything passed but when I went to try netflix it didnt work, after doing the  dmz thing it connected Smiley Very Happy thanks again!

Message 11 of 12
TheEther
Guru

@KernalJim wrote:

I can confirm the dmz did  fixed my Samsung TV  it said connected and everything passed but when I went to try netflix it didnt work, after doing the  dmz thing it connected Smiley Very Happy thanks again!

It's great that your Netflix works, but it's hard to imagine how the DMZ had anything to do with it working.  Only one device can be put into the DMZ.  If the DMZ was really required, then Netflix would work only on one TV/computer.  It would be silly if Samsung required their TV to be placed into the DMZ for Netflix to work.

Moreover, a device in the DMZ is unprotected by your router's firewall and, therefore, can be directly attacked by hackers.  Some Samsung TVs have built-in microphones for voice control.  Who knows if a hacker can remotely enable the microphone and eavesdrop on your conversations?  Does it seem farfetched?  Samsung got into a flap last year when it was discovered that voice commands could be transmitted through the network to an outside party.  Source: CNet article (link).  With security often being an afterthought on many Internet appliances, like Smart TV, it doesn't seem so farfetched.  It would not only be silly for Samsung to require their TVs to be directly exposed to the Internet, it would be unconscionable.

My advice is for you to remove your TV from the DMZ and re-test Netflix.  It should still work.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7