Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting more than two devices to LAN ports and none can see Internet

JRDTX
Aspirant

Connecting more than two devices to LAN ports and none can see Internet

If I connect another router to my Netgear and use that other router by connecting four or five devices to it, they all can see the internet and work just fine. But if I remove that other router and connect those four devices to one of the ports on my Netgear modem/router, those devices each receive its own IP address (as expected), but NONE OF THEM can reach the internet.

Any idea why?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
JRDTX
Aspirant

Re: Connecting more than two devices to LAN ports and none can see Internet

Everything is working fine. Note, please, that the Netgear modem/router has always worked fine - the problem was with the flaky DNS server addresses provided by Comcst.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello JRDTX

When you say your Netgear I am guessing its your modem/router can you provide the model number for that. But my guess is that it could be set as bridged that's why its working with your other router and not when you plugg all your devices into it. Or it could be a ip conflict happening. If you don't know what settings that have been changed on your netgear product you can always do a factory reset and redo your Internet settings then try again. Hope to hear your feedback

DarrenM

Message 2 of 6
JRDTX
Aspirant

Yes, it is a WiFi cable modem router (C3700).

I found the problem. My ISP DHCP provided DNS addresses that were barely functional so anything that tried to reach a URL through the modem/router had terrible odds of being successful. I connected my computer to the router via WiFi and it never had a problem of any kind while wired devices were non-functional. Why? Because I had se known good DNS addresses into my computer and when it connected through the router (even though it used DHCP) it IGNORED  the ISP DNS addresses while wired devices tried to use those DNS addresses.

My ISP is Comcast. 

Message 3 of 6
JRDTX
Aspirant

Oh, and I had set those known good DNS addresses into the other router - which is why that configuration worked. (The Netgear became merely an access point.)

Message 4 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello JRDTX

Is everything good and working now?

DarrenM

Message 5 of 6
JRDTX
Aspirant

Everything is working fine. Note, please, that the Netgear modem/router has always worked fine - the problem was with the flaky DNS server addresses provided by Comcst.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7