Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connecting my CM1150V modem to the internet with g54/n150 wifi router.

klaas742
Tutor

Connecting my CM1150V modem to the internet with g54/n150 wifi router.

I purchased a renewed Netgear CM1159v modem on Amazon.  I tried connecting my Negear G54/N150 WiFi router to the modem with Ethernet cable and it does not recognize it. I have been using it for years with my old Arris moden and it has worked great. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make it work.  btw I cannot use wifi on my CM1150 without my old router.  I am on Comcast xfinity. Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Try powering OFF both modem and router for 30 seconds then ON with the modem first then router. 

Check the LAN cable, be sure it's CAT5e or preferred CAT6. 

Possible that this modem may not be compatible with your older model router. I would consider updateing to something a bit newer. 

Message 2 of 13
klaas742
Tutor

Thanks for the suggestions.  I have tried all of these at least once and I am using theCat 5 cable that came with the modem.  I am thinking you may be right about the router being out of date.

Message 3 of 13
plemans
Guru

The cm1150v has 4x ethernet ports. but the vast majority of ISP's only allow 1 device to be connected to it because they only issue 1 public ip address. 

If you had anything else connected to the cm1150v then try this. 

Factory reset the cm1150v and the router. 

then power off them both and disconnect the coax from the cm1150v. 

Let it sit 2 minutes. 

then connect the coax back to the modem and boot it up. 

give it 2 minutes to boot. 

Then connect 1 router to port 1 on the cm1150v and power the router on. 

Give it 2 minutes to boot. 

Then try setup on the router. 

Make sure you only have 1 device connected to the cm1150v. 

Message 4 of 13
klaas742
Tutor

Thank you for your reply.  First of all after rereading my original post I realized I made a typing error.  It should have read with my old router not "without" senior moment.  After trying many different suggestions nothing worked still no WiFi.  So I went and purchased a new WiFi router. Still no WiFi.  After at least an hour on the phone with Comcast tech. Still no WiFi.  Orange light stays on as it did with my old router. I tried all of your suggestions.  Still no WiFi.  Btw this is day four.  I am thinking that the "renewed"  CM1150v that I bought on Amazon is the problem. Thinking of sending it back. Anymore suggestions lol.  Thanks for your reply. John

Message 5 of 13
plemans
Guru

is your isp able to activate the modem? 

Are they able to ping it? 

Message 6 of 13
klaas742
Tutor

My isp did everything that they could do on their end I think.  How ever the electricity was off for about thirty minutes a short time ago and when it came back on I noticed the internet light on the router had turned from orange to green I was relieved and was able to use the wifi with my phone but then when I went to use my computer it said internet not available so I ran windows diagnostics and it said it was related to the ethernet. I restarted my computer to no avail so I turned off the router and when I turned it back on the light was orange again No WiFi but my computer is able to use the internet.  Now I am back to square one computer but no wifi to the internet.

Message 7 of 13
plemans
Guru

so I'm a bit confused. Do you have more devices connected to the modem? or just the router? 
The cm1150v only supports 1 connected device. so if you're computer is connected to it and working, the modem is functioning as it should. 

Message 8 of 13
klaas742
Tutor

The router is the only thing connected to the modem.  I thought that it was a problem with this particular modem so I ordered a replacement then when the modem started working I canceled the order. This is very frustrating.  There might be a simple solution but I have tried everything I can with my knowledge.

Message 9 of 13
plemans
Guru

did you try a different router? 

Message 10 of 13
klaas742
Tutor

This router is brand new yesterday.

Message 11 of 13
klaas742
Tutor

I finally got my problem solved.  I bought this new router at Staples on sale.  Sorry to tell you it is a TP-Link.  After an hour on TP tech support they got my router synced with my Netgear modem.  The modem is fine after all.  Love it. Works great. Very fast.  Thank for your effort. 

Message 12 of 13
plemans
Guru

Glad the modem was fine and you got it working! you might mark it solved so others aren't trying to fix it still 🙂

(oh and tp-link makes some solid devices so nothing to say sorry for) 

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7