Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Considering a CAX80 Purchase -

Guzzialfa
Tutor

Considering a CAX80 Purchase -

I am contemplating the purchase of the Netgear AX6000 (CAX80) Cable Modem with WiFi 6 Router.  Before I do I have two considerations that are make it or skip it considerations.  For Home and Business use (Work from Home and Non-Profit support work).

I have two (2) Netgear 24 Port Gigabit Ethernet Switches.  A Model #: JGS524 fanless model and the earlier version with fan on a Cox ISP.

I use one upstairs and one downstairs where the Cable Modem and current Router are located.  Are these two Switches 100% combatible with the CAX80?  As in can I plug one into its own individual port on the Cable Model/Wifi 6 Router?

I have too many devices that benefit from a wired connection where priority is bandwidth - two Roku  devices connected to ethernet ports on TV's, Blu-Ray with Ethernet connectors rather than WiFi. Laptops and desktops with both Wired and Wireless connections available.  Obviously, I prefer the wired connection and could care less if my laptop is Wireless.  (Just don't tell that to my Kindle's and BN Nook e-Readers and multiple tablets let alone the Smartphones.  We have both Android and iOS devices in house.

Any concerns with one Switch using an Ethernet port on the cable modem and the other Switch using a 2nd Ethernet Port on the cable modem?  Something else I should be considering?

I use Norton 360 exclusively in home and while on the road.   Should I consider using Armor Bitdefender both in house and while traveling instead or continue using both or just sticking with Norton 360?

Thanks in advance for the advice on compatibility and on Armor products.

John

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

@Guzzialfa wrote:

Yikes!  That's a lot of gear!  You say it's all behind the one cable modem, CAX80??  I wanted to ask why you disabled the WiFi and just bought a cable modem only sans WiFi with all the routers you have in place?   Then, if all hits the fan, you still have a WiFi solution on the Cable Modem just in case, I suppose.

As @plemans mentioned, we do lots of playing with toys and learning of what different products do so we can gain more experience to better help users out here in the forums. So we test out different things and different configurations. We also try to test out new FW as it comes out to see what new things are seen. Give feedback to NG and users. 

Was there another reason?

Apologies but what is LAG?  Don't recognize the acronym but it is 1:15 AM as I type this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_aggregation

My apologies for the tardy reply as well.  You were very quick to respond as well.  I just needed a bit to digest all the different replies.  No one from NetGear has responded stating these old Switches will be just fine.  Should be is what I get from everyone.  Then again, I could just do what you've done and get another 4 port Router and plug in the two switches while also disabling the WiFi on the CAX80.  It's an alternative should it be necessary.

Your NG switches should work just fine behind the CAX80. 

Or is everyone hinting I shouldn't use NetGear's WiFi and not coming out and saying so?

The CAX80s wifi is pretty good. When I have the wifi on my CAX80, since my home is kind of big, I use two EX7700 wifi extenders to help with signal. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 11

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Your switches should just connect. I don't have those specific switches but i have both a managed switch and several unmanaged switches. And I connected them to my CAX80 without any specific configuration/settings. All simply worked.

Can I 100% say it'll work? no because everyone's setup is different and I've see people have weird configurations that shouldn't cause a single issue and did. Do I feel very confident it will? yes. 

In terms of armor, thats a personal preference. I don't use it but I did try it. It has a 30 days trial period where you can try it and see if you like it. I prefered by own setup versus the built in armor one. 

Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Same here, have different Switches after my CAX80, HP, NG and D-Link. All work fine behind the modem. 

My modem is now in modem only mode so I use two different routers behind it. My ISP allows for more than one WAN IP address while in modem only mode. Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 11
Guzzialfa
Tutor

Thank you.  I appreciate you having taken the time to respond and apologize for my tardy reply.  I read your response as soon as the email came to my phone but do not want to type replies there.  

What didn't you like about Armor and what are you using as alternative VPN, Virus Protection/Scan Software etc.?

John S.

Message 4 of 11
Guzzialfa
Tutor

Yikes!  That's a lot of gear!  You say it's all behind the one cable modem, CAX80??  I wanted to ask why you disabled the WiFi and just bought a cable modem only sans WiFi with all the routers you have in place?   Then, if all hits the fan, you still have a WiFi solution on the Cable Modem just in case, I suppose.

Apologies but what is LAG?  Don't recognize the acronym but it is 1:15 AM as I type this.

My apologies for the tardy reply as well.  You were very quick to respond as well.  I just needed a bit to digest all the different replies.  No one from NetGear has responded stating these old Switches will be just fine.  Should be is what I get from everyone.  Then again, I could just do what you've done and get another 4 port Router and plug in the two switches while also disabling the WiFi on the CAX80.  It's an alternative should it be necessary.

Or is everyone hinting I shouldn't use NetGear's WiFi and not coming out and saying so?

Hmmm, typing at 1:15 shouldn't be thinking so hard.

Thank you,

John S.

Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

Both @FURRYe38 and I have more gear than we need. Its more of a testing/playing/learning so we can help others better. 

the reason I don't use armor is I've found a combination of using pi-hole and then just good internet practices to be a better result than using a full security suite. I'm sure when my kids get older I'll have to setup something but right now it isn't  needed on my network. 

You probably won't get a response from netgear as this is the public support forum where members of the public help out. the mod's aren't very active on here

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

@Guzzialfa wrote:

As @plemans mentioned, we do lots of playing with toys and learning of what different products do so we can gain more experience to better help users out here in the forums. So we test out different things and different configurations. We also try to test out new FW as it comes out to see what new things are seen. Give feedback to NG and users. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_aggregation

Your NG switches should work just fine behind the CAX80. 

The CAX80s wifi is pretty good. When I have the wifi on my CAX80, since my home is kind of big, I use two EX7700 wifi extenders to help with signal. 

Message 7 of 11
Guzzialfa
Tutor

Thanks again!  One last quick question for you.  Why did you choose the EX7700 over the AX600 (EAX80).  The EX7700 appears to be WiFi 5 while the CAX80 and the EAX80 are both WiFi 6?

Thanks!

John S.

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I already had two EX7700s. They worked. I never go a EAX80 long term though I did test one out for a short period of time. 

Message 9 of 11
Guzzialfa
Tutor

That makes sense.  Use what you have.  I should think the EAX80 is the proper fit for the CAX80 and it has the benefit of being a bit less expensive.

My current nightmare - truly mind boggling is I decided to place the order late last night for the CAX80.  I missed a text from the bank card saying - hey did you buy this expensive thing?  I lantern by sea for yes and 2 lanterns, well you get the idea.

I responded later and at 2:29 AM the bank replied, okay - the hold has been removed, tell your vendor to submit again.

Called the support order line and kept getting her saying - call your bank and release the hold.  Finally getting a word in I said - I DID!  You need to resubmit.  Netgear Support for Orders OR the entire order system has no way to resubmit an order.  No way to cancel an order with the status of Exception and I have no way on my account to cancel an order that has not been processed!

Nightmare, right?  I tried to order again at her suggestion.  Tried 3 times adding to the cart and each time there is NOTHING in my Cart!  Nada.  I cannot do any adding, ordering or anything until this resolves.

No pleading to escalate to a supervisor got me anywhere but we'll call within 24 hours....

I was better off ordering from Amazon!

Linksys anyone?  Sigh.  I honestly am stuck and have no clue what to try to do next other than wait and see if anything at all happens.  Don't know anything could while their waiting for the bank to do something and the bank is waiting for them to resubmit.  Catch 22 anyone?

Any thoughts anyone?

Perplexed, John S.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, of course the EAX80 is perfect match for the CAX80. Something to try out and see how it works for you. 

IF find that Amazon has good return policies. I use Amazon mostly.

Sorry, I left Linksys years ago and haven't looked back. After the WRT1900AC i bought and experiences there, left a bad taste for me. Smiley Frustrated

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7