Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D3.1 modem with 5GbE port

Kainam
Aspirant

D3.1 modem with 5GbE port

Anyone hear when Netgear will be releasing a DOCSIS 3.1 modem with a 5GbE port?

I just cant see buying a CM1000 that is handicapped by a 1GbE port when DOCSIS 3.1 is capable of 10Gbs.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

Re: D3.1 modem with 5GbE port

nopes. 

Current chipsets only can work upto ~4-5 Gbps DS traffic. that being said, no MSO is currently planning for >1Gbps service on DOCSIS 3.1. It may be well released in future. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

nopes. 

Current chipsets only can work upto ~4-5 Gbps DS traffic. that being said, no MSO is currently planning for >1Gbps service on DOCSIS 3.1. It may be well released in future. 

Message 2 of 8
Kainam
Aspirant

Well, using that arguement (that no provider currently offers more than 1Gbs download plan), why offer DOCSIS 3.1 at all since DOCSIS 3.0 is capable of 1Gbs?

Regardless, I wont be buying a cable modem that is handicapped by its LAN port.  Thats just silly.

Message 3 of 8
EnduroDriver
Tutor

I guess I have to ask, what 5GBASE-T router, swtich and devices are you running now or are you already on 10GBASE-T with CAT6a wiring?

Message 4 of 8
Kainam
Aspirant

I never said I had any of that.  I am in the market to upgrade what I have now because I am pushing the limits of my current gear.

If I had that, I would be taking a significant step backwards with the CM-1000 wouldnt I?

I try not to make a habit of going backwards. 

Also, would prefer a modem that I dont have to reboot 3 or more times a day.

I only reboot my current Motorola modem maybe once a year.

But nice troll attempt.

Message 5 of 8
EnduroDriver
Tutor

Ah okay, not sure what the troll crap is about.

I’ve considered 10GBASE-T but the cost was just too high to justify plus it wouldn’t compatible with my CAT5e wiring. I’m very interested in the new 2.5/5 standards but I haven’t seen anything, thought you might.

Message 6 of 8
djc6
Luminary

The Arris SB8200 modem has 2x1Gbps ports, it supports LACP to use both interfaces together.

Its available for pre-order on Amazon and available on the Arris store.  People on dslreports.com forum already receiving units ordered via Arris store but so far you can only activate it on Cox.

Rumors are that Comcast will approve modem mid-February to coincide with what Amazon has as release date.

http://shop.surfboard.com/sb8200-surfboard-cable-modem/

http://a.co/f7wh1NC

Message 7 of 8
EnduroDriver
Tutor

Interesting, I have a couple servers and a NAS configured LACP, didn’t realize the SB8200 had that. The little switch I have by the cable modem is unmanaged so I don’t think I can bond ports but that could be resolved.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7