Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DDOS attacks through Xbox live

Eskolo
Aspirant

DDOS attacks through Xbox live

I recently purchases the C7000 (hardware version 2.01) Nighthawk AC1900 (firmware version v1.03.03) hoping it would put an end to my frustrations with Xbox live. I upgraded my Internet service & decided to buy my own modem instead of renting. I did some research, but obviously not enough because I was hoping to get VPN capabilities with my purchase but looks like I don't have it. I’ve read a lot of forums around here about DDOS or DOS attacks & most people who respond say it’s fake or false. I know these attacks are real through Xbox live because I’ve had someone show me how to do it, not that I do them myself but I know how too. From what I know there are several methods to booting people. I only know of "Lanc Remastered", it seems to be the popular method for DDOS. 

I have no issues while surfing the web or streaming, just gaming. I'm constantly being booted offline while playing certain games like NBA 2k20 for instance. There are tons of kids who have nothing better to do than to boot you off line if the game isn't going their way. It’s insanely annoying to say the least. It’s recently gotten to the point where I can't even start a new game without the old game where I got booted offline still taking place. It’s now at the point that I cannot play online anymore. My games lag horrendously to the point I have to reboot my network or just shut down the Xbox from the frustrations.

I was attempting to connect an old Belkin router (model # F9K1102 V2) (Firmware version 2.14.04) to use my VPN service but I cannot for the life of me get it to connect through L2TP/PPTP. I’m no expert any of this. I’m not sure what to do at this point. I'm at the point of wanting to return my C7000 & upgrade to something else that I can connect my VPN service to or buy a router that has the VPN capabilities I need to go forward & be done with these ridiculous attacks. 

Is there any possible way I can somehow add my VPN service to my cable modem router?

Any advice or recommendations I can get from the community would be more than welcomed

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: DDOS attacks through Xbox live

What iSP are you with? 

I'd recommend gettting into a separate modem an external wifi router instead of a combo unit. Theres more flexibility and controls in using a separated solution. 

I haven't seen much of DDOS attackes from gamers for a long time. Something MS should be montioring as well.

I'd have the ISP change your WAN side IP address as well. Sometimes you can do this by powering OFF the ISP modem for 1-5 minutes or even leave it off over nite then back on in the morning. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What iSP are you with? 

I'd recommend gettting into a separate modem an external wifi router instead of a combo unit. Theres more flexibility and controls in using a separated solution. 

I haven't seen much of DDOS attackes from gamers for a long time. Something MS should be montioring as well.

I'd have the ISP change your WAN side IP address as well. Sometimes you can do this by powering OFF the ISP modem for 1-5 minutes or even leave it off over nite then back on in the morning. 

Message 2 of 4
Eskolo
Aspirant

I know my solution is to purchase a router.

I've recently plugged in my Xbox with the Ethernet cable & have noticed a major difference in the way the gameplay is more stable. I get no more lags & I have not been booted offline at all. Now I have questions about my wireless strengths because when I’m playing wirelessly downstairs, that's when the gameplay is the worst. I live in a 3 story townhouse roughly about 1,800 sq ft & the cable modem router is placed on the middle floor. When the Xbox is on the middle floor I get still get some lag not nearly as much as downstairs.

Now I’m not sure if my modem router just isn’t powerful enough to handle my wireless gaming needs. When I selected this particular modem router I had to do a compatibility test on Xfinity & it said it was fine. Now that I have purchased it, hooked it up now the Xfinity says it’s not a match for the speeds I have, go figure. The modem router handles all the other Wi-Fi needs for the rest of the house, streaming, phones, smart devices, TV’s & laptops so I strongly believe a separate Wi-Fi signal for the Xbox is probably the best choice so I’ll be going with a router.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements