Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DHCP Address reservations ignored?

dtd41
Aspirant

DHCP Address reservations ignored?

This is an unmanaged switch connected to a GS105 unmanaged switch. I have two questions: (1) On the link between the GS108 and the host The left light is green, the right not light; (2) Anything to be done?

When I first connected this host to the GS105 (its about 100 ft away connected with a cat6 cable) it all worked. When I added the GS108 (same room with the host) DHCP stopped working and the host acts the same with or with the local switch. Setting a static IP works fine with no errors

Model: GS108v4|ProSafe 8 ports gigabit unmanaged switch
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

This is a short part borrowed fro the GS105(v5) Installation Guide, very similar in the GS108(v4) Installation Guide - only the left LED indicates a 100 Mb/s (Fast Ethernet) link only. On a complete and healthy cable, a Gigabit Ethernet (1000 Mb/s) must be established.

GS105v5 LED status.PNG

Hard to say what is killing the DHCP process here ...

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
dtd41
Aspirant

First sentence is wrong should read on the link between the two switches - sorry 😞  

Model: GS108v4|ProSafe 8 ports gigabit unmanaged switch
Message 2 of 5
schumaku
Guru

This is a short part borrowed fro the GS105(v5) Installation Guide, very similar in the GS108(v4) Installation Guide - only the left LED indicates a 100 Mb/s (Fast Ethernet) link only. On a complete and healthy cable, a Gigabit Ethernet (1000 Mb/s) must be established.

GS105v5 LED status.PNG

Hard to say what is killing the DHCP process here ...

Message 3 of 5
dtd41
Aspirant

Thanks. I did not expect a RTFM response on an unmanaged switch (my bad) thank for the kind and forgiving reply. Given that info the DHCP issue is probably due to network topology. Thank you again

Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Had not come to a conclusion ref. the DHCP issue, so left it open.

There is no problem with a topology like

Router<-GbE->G105<-FastEthernet(?)->G108<->Computer

Should work like a charm, permitting the cable isn't to bad.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7