Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DOCSIS and Optimum - how to keep current

westerj
Aspirant

DOCSIS and Optimum - how to keep current

Hi, 

If I purchase a cable model and my ISP doesn't flash upgrade it, how does that keep me secure?

I understand that the DOCSIS model REQUIRES the ISP flash update from the cable side. 

Has anyone come up with a way to update a Cabke modem like the CM700 over ethernet interface?

Thanks

Westerj

Model: CM700|High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS 3.0
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: DOCSIS and Optimum - how to keep current

Again something to ask that ISP about. 

Most experiences I have with mine, and they update FW for my own modems, is that they will push FW soon after, during the install process or maybe a day or two later. But thats my ISP service. I can't say what others will do. 

If you feel the unit is just bad, then return it, contact NG support and as about an RMA if thats an option, or find a new modem. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Ask the ISP to upgrade the modems FW. If they won't then thats there policy and your modem will be stuck at what ever was loaded on it. You can't update FW or modify FW on any cable modem. Find an ISP that will update user owned modems or you'll have to either accept the CM modem what it won't get any updates from an ISP that won't update FW or use one of the ISP modems. 

Good Luck. 

Message 2 of 6
westerj
Aspirant

How can it be said a cable modem works or doesnt if the isp wont do their part of the docsis arrangement? This is a right-to-repair issue ( google "right to repair" "John deere"). I bought the hardware,i should be able to update it. Its not wise to run a dead end version. The docsis devices have a maintenance strategy,that needs a rethink.
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to discuss with the ISP. 

Good luck. 

Message 4 of 6
westerj
Aspirant

So.. if I plug into another ISP, who does support this model, chances are they'd flash it ?

The model appears broken though. I bought it, but cant repair it?

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Again something to ask that ISP about. 

Most experiences I have with mine, and they update FW for my own modems, is that they will push FW soon after, during the install process or maybe a day or two later. But thats my ISP service. I can't say what others will do. 

If you feel the unit is just bad, then return it, contact NG support and as about an RMA if thats an option, or find a new modem. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7