Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Data usage spike

Marlowwebb25
Tutor

Data usage spike

I just recently got the above router modem to go with my new comcast xfinity since I did not want their crappy router, however for the first time ever I am set to go over my 1TB of data. When I had at&t I can no where close. I e already changed the password and gone on the router login to make sure there was no one in authorized using my WiFi but it seems as I’m using at least 1GB an hour streaming Hulu is this normal? I’ve never gone over my usage and it seems am having a massive data spike compared to what the xfinity website says my consumption would be. Any ideas as to what is going on?
Model: C7500|Nighthawk X4-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Data usage spike

@Marlowwebb25 wrote:
I just recently got the above router modem to go with my new comcast xfinity since I did not want their crappy router, however for the first time ever I am set to go over my 1TB of data. When I had at&t I can no where close. I e already changed the password and gone on the router login to make sure there was no one in authorized using my WiFi but it seems as I’m using at least 1GB an hour streaming Hulu is this normal?------yes this is normal. I'll put a link to data usage in the bottom.  I’ve never gone over my usage and it seems am having a massive data spike compared to what the xfinity website says my consumption would be.-----Not sure what you mean here. are you talking the xfinity data usage chart that displays what you've actively used? Or what do you mean here?4  Any ideas as to what is going on?

Data usage can vary by device and internet speeds. Some apps will dynamically change your streaming resolution by your internet speeds. If the speeds are lower, it streams in lower definition and uses less data. If your internet and wifi speeds are faster, its going to streaming in higher definition. HD can use from 1-3gb/hr/device. 4k can hit upwards of 6-12gb an hour/device.  Potentialy if you upgraded your speeds and your wifi, your streaming device is allowing a higher resolution thats using more data/hr.   

I'm not sure what you mean by xfinitys website data consumption. I have xfinity and the only data consumption thing I could find was the actual graph that measures how much data you're using. Is this what you're referencing? How much data is this chart referencing?

here's the link to a website that lists how much data certain services use per hour based on resolution. 

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-much-data-does-streaming-video-use/

Message 2 of 6
Marlowwebb25
Tutor

Thank you for the response, xfinity has a calculator that estimates how much data you will go through based on your usage that’s what I was referencing. Is there a way to stop my router/ Samsung tv from streaming in 4K? I’ve already adjusted the download speed in Netflix but is there a general setting to potentially lower the capability on either the router or tv so it’s not always trying pull the 4K? Thanks again!!!
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

You'd have to check with the TVs mfr to see if there is any configuration to change with in the TV to not allow 4K streaming. Theres is no setting with in the modem/router to inhibit 4K streaming. 

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

You can prioritize by device but not limit bandwidth by device. 

You'll want to go into each service you subscribe to and setup their bandwidth allocations. 

Message 5 of 6
Marlowwebb25
Tutor

I will take a look and see, thank you very much!!
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7