Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DoS attack and random ip addresses for iPhone

Huntsman570
Aspirant

DoS attack and random ip addresses for iPhone

so my logs show constant DoS attacks and my internet usually slows down while it's happening. also when i look in my attached devices it shows my iphone with an ip address that isn't like the rest of them and it will switch the same ip address between different iphones.

what can be causing this?

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
ccunni3812
Initiate

I figured out what happened. I had a malicious website open on my Safari Browser. I rarely use the browser but I had like thirty websites open and one was brite red which means its a security threat. I shut down all of the websites, cleaned the browswer, turned off java.   I also had to turn off my routers and phone to get the european IP to not show up. I was getting about thirty dos attack lines and now I get zero. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

It could be some app showing up as fake Dos attacks in the logs if they are coming from the Iphone.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 7
Huntsman570
Aspirant

But why would the iPhones ip addresses show as fake addresses and be logged nonstop?
Message 3 of 7
VE6CGX
Master

Mean you can't connect iPhone? or yu wonder why ip address keep changing every time you connect?

Router firewall will block DoS attack. How did you set this option configuring your router? Are you using fixed ip address for your iPhone?

Message 4 of 7
ccunni3812
Initiate

Hi - I live in the US. I kept noticing my C3700 router was giving off a DOS attack with an IP located in Europe. I reset the router and turned on the access control and blocked all new connections. I was able to isolate the DOS to my Iphone 6 (IOS 10.3.2). It was confusing at first because the security concern was coming from an IP located in Europe. I turned on Iphone AnyConnect VPN and tried to connect to my router again. It connected a second time correctly with an IP address from the US. Any ideas what might have caused my Iphone to show a European IP address the first time and cause the log to show DOS attack? The log showed about five different lines of with dos attack likes such as ping of death and teardrop attacks. It was coming in on a port zero. This was happening multiple times throughout the day over the last couple of days and my internet was slowing down which is the reason for my review of the log. I turned off my router/modem and did not renew the external IP. As well, I blocked my Iphone from using my Home WIFI and the attacks have not returned. I don't have a lot of apps on my Iphone. Sharepoint, Skype, Linkedin, Ismart Alarm, Google Photos. United Blood, One Drive, Samsung print, Chrome. Any ideas on this one? Do you think an App might have cause the IP to change on my router/modem log?

Message 5 of 7
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello ccunni3812

It could be a app showing that in the logs and it may just be a false report and nothing to worry about.

DarrenM

Message 6 of 7
ccunni3812
Initiate

I figured out what happened. I had a malicious website open on my Safari Browser. I rarely use the browser but I had like thirty websites open and one was brite red which means its a security threat. I shut down all of the websites, cleaned the browswer, turned off java.   I also had to turn off my routers and phone to get the european IP to not show up. I was getting about thirty dos attack lines and now I get zero. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7