Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Downstream light keeps blinking

GEO714
Aspirant

Downstream light keeps blinking

I have C6300 cable modem router with internet service through TimeWarner Cable aka Spectrum in Anaheim CA. My DS light keeps blinking I have reset router several times called cable company they refreshed signal still light keeps blinking anyone have any idea why this is happening???
Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Here is my event log showing errors

Hello GEO714

I see you are getting T3 timeouts which may be a issues with noise on the cable lines they may need to send a tech out to check your lines.

T3 Timeout ( Ranging Request Retries Exhausted )

Explanation: The cable modem has sent 16 Ranging Request (RNG-REQ) messages without receiving a Ranging Response (RNG-RSP) message in reply from the CMTS. The cable modem is therefore resetting its cable interface and restarting the registration process. This typically is caused by noise on the upstream that causes the loss of MAC-layer messages. Noise could also raise the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) on the upstream to a point where the cable modem’s power level is insufficient to transmit any messages. If the cable modem cannot raise its upstream transmit power level to a level that allows successful communication within the maximum timeout period, it resets its cable interface and restarts the registration process. This error message is DOCSIS event message is R03.0, Ranging Request

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 21

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Solid amber. One downstream channel is locked.

• Solid green. Two or more downstream channels are locked.

• Blinking green. The modem router is scanning for a downstream channel.

• Off. No downstream channel is locked.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 21
GEO714
Aspirant

What happens if it won't stop blinking
Message 3 of 21
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Are you having any issues with the modem or slow speeds?

DarrenM

Message 4 of 21
GEO714
Aspirant

There was lagging going on yesterday today seems ok so far bunch of critical errors in event log
Message 5 of 21
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

I would say keep a eye on the modem if it starts acting up more post your logs and power levels of the modem may help us figure out if its a issue with the modem or the ISP.

DarrenM

Message 6 of 21
GEO714
Aspirant

Where can I post logs
Message 7 of 21
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

should be able to post them here in the thread.

DarrenM

Message 8 of 21
GEO714
Aspirant

Here is my event log showing errors

Here is my event log showing errors
IMG_0208.JPG
Message 9 of 21
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Here is my event log showing errors

Hello GEO714

I see you are getting T3 timeouts which may be a issues with noise on the cable lines they may need to send a tech out to check your lines.

T3 Timeout ( Ranging Request Retries Exhausted )

Explanation: The cable modem has sent 16 Ranging Request (RNG-REQ) messages without receiving a Ranging Response (RNG-RSP) message in reply from the CMTS. The cable modem is therefore resetting its cable interface and restarting the registration process. This typically is caused by noise on the upstream that causes the loss of MAC-layer messages. Noise could also raise the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) on the upstream to a point where the cable modem’s power level is insufficient to transmit any messages. If the cable modem cannot raise its upstream transmit power level to a level that allows successful communication within the maximum timeout period, it resets its cable interface and restarts the registration process. This error message is DOCSIS event message is R03.0, Ranging Request

DarrenM

Message 10 of 21
MTWOODLAND
Guide

I'm having simular problems with power levels on the downstream channels. specially channel 5 " not locked" status. power levels " according to Comcast +10 to -10 dBmv. when I see a level of -16dBmv I have terrible Mbps speeds. ( 50Mbps-ish) .. now after doing 1 or 2 or 3 " modem reboots, internally ) channel 5 may or may not change to Comcast dBmv comfort level, and I then get steady downstream light on front panel and My Promised speeds of 200-230Mbps. my question is Who /Where / What does this dBmv come from, ? my box or comcast feed ?

Model: C3700|N600 Cable Gateway Docsis 3.0
Message 11 of 21
GEO714
Aspirant

Give Comcast a call tell them to test line on all channels to make sure it’s not on their end. That will help expose where issue is with Router or Lines? My issue ended up being Spectrum Lines up on pole squirrels had bitten into lines they had to replace who section of lines. Have not had a blinking light issue since
Message 12 of 21
MTWOODLAND
Guide

sending a *jpg in hope a Netgear Guru / Tech could confirm that captured channels and the levels that my c3700-100nas have locked onto are the signal strenght sent from ISP. Or am I having problems with modem capturing the signal. Was charged a fee last week, yet not positive they troubleshot problem, just swapped out a splitter and left.

Model: C3700|N600 Cable Gateway Docsis 3.0
Message 13 of 21
GEO714
Aspirant

What does your error log show
Message 14 of 21
MTWOODLAND
Guide

is there another log file other than Advanced>Admin>Logs ?  only showing Dos attacks from Ping of Death. and DHCP issuing IP's to my wifi devices.

Message 15 of 21
MTWOODLAND
Guide

hold on, SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing;;CM-MAC=a0:63:91:51:20:78;CMTS-MAC=00:00:00:00:00:00;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0;    ......    Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - Re-initializing MAC;CM-MAC=a0:63:91:51:20:78;CMTS-MAC=e8:65:49:b9:19:d0;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Message 16 of 21
MTWOODLAND
Guide

this was captured when internet failure last week. Am I looking at Downstreaming channels signal strenght / captured from ISP ...Upstream was extremely high and unlocked.  Downstream unlocked channels and dBmv -15, -14,  ... my understanding is if Upstream dBmv is above 45-50 this causes Downstream and connection failures.

Message 17 of 21
GEO714
Aspirant

I’m not 100% but this looks like a line issue from your provider when they tested line what did they say it looked like? How long have you had your router? Is it new or been using it awhile now
Message 18 of 21
MTWOODLAND
Guide

Couple yrs. i have faith in my router, more than Comcast .. also possible related or not, issues with frozen TV , pixelated screens, frozen controls
Message 19 of 21
MTWOODLAND
Guide

Of course they initially tested, probably, maybe.. now tested individual channels, or performed load tests. Who knows
Message 20 of 21
MTWOODLAND
Guide

update to downstream channels that will not lock due to dBmv and SNR problems.

I found if I setup manually the Starting Frequency for the 8 channels on the Basic page/ during initialization and registration I get awesome results. now for some reason my ISP changes them after a few minutes. Does anyone know how to lock the startup freq permanently ?

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7