Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Enable Password Recovery

rglindmeier
Aspirant

Enable Password Recovery

I received the email regarding the security issue for my c6300BD.  The first recommended step is to set up password recovery.  However, when i open the Set Password page under the advanced tab in Netgear Genie, I do not have an Enable Password Recovery checkbox as shown in online article 20027.  I only have fields for Old Password, Set Password and Repeat New Password.  No checkbox.  So, I am unable to enable password recovery as recommended.  Anyone have an answer for this?

Russ

Model: C6300BD-1TLAUS|DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Gateway Wi-Fi AC
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Enable Password Recovery

Hello rglindmeier

I have check with our support team and this was a the response I have got so it looks like you are ok.

If the C6300 has letters after such as C6300BD, its an ISP locked device which we have no control over their FW. If you dont have the password recovery option in GUI then you are not affected. Vulnerability is only if you have the password recovery option which is available on latest C6300 (Retail) FW.

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 13

All Replies
MoMaven2
Aspirant

I have this same issue.  Did you find a solution? 

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 2 of 13
rglindmeier
Aspirant

No, you are the only response to my query as of yet.

Russ

Message 3 of 13
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello rglindmeier 

Have you tried to use a different web browser or cleared your browser history?

DarrenM

Message 4 of 13
SueBlue
Guide

I have the same problem, but it starts with not even having the same tabs as the instructions show.  I only have a Basic tab and the password change under there has no box to check.  I tried deleting browsing data and another browser and same thing

Message 5 of 13
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

I have checked in the C6300 this option is not available you can only change the password for the login. If you ever forget this you will have to do a factory reset so then it goes back to admin/password

DarrenM

Message 6 of 13
rglindmeier
Aspirant

Darren,

I wasn't trying to implement password recovery in case I forgot my password, although I understand that's what it's intended purpose is.  As stated in my original post, the reason I was trying to implement passwoard recovery is because of an email I received from Netgear regarding the security vulnerablility which affects my model as well as many others.  In the article referenced in the email, the first step in dealing with the security problem is to implement password recovery.  Why, I don't know, but that's what it said.  So, in the context of the security issue that I was emailed about, and knowing that my model is affected by the problem but apparently is not able to implement the recommended fix (password recovery), just what is it that Netgear recommends I do?

Russ

Message 7 of 13
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello rglindmeier

I have check with our support team and this was a the response I have got so it looks like you are ok.

If the C6300 has letters after such as C6300BD, its an ISP locked device which we have no control over their FW. If you dont have the password recovery option in GUI then you are not affected. Vulnerability is only if you have the password recovery option which is available on latest C6300 (Retail) FW.

DarrenM

Message 8 of 13
rglindmeier
Aspirant

Thanks, Darren.  Good to know I'm not affected.  Not sure why I got the email in the first place, but at least now I can get this off my desk and move on.  Thanks again for the assistance.

Russ

Message 9 of 13
tlluke
Aspirant

I have a retail C6300 which I purchased at Best Buy, and I do not have the Password Recovery check box.  How do I mitigate the vulnerability which Netgear informed me of?  And when will the permanent firmware fix be available?

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 10 of 13
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello tlluke

What is the firmware version that your C6300 is running?

DarrenM

Message 11 of 13
tlluke
Aspirant

V1.02.21  

Thanks for the help!

Message 12 of 13
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello tlluke 

Your modem is not affected only C6300 using v2.01.14 so you will have to do this if your ISP upgrades the firmware to that version.

DarrenM

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7