Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ethernet Port activation

Crashnburnps3
Aspirant

Ethernet Port activation

Model:1150V NightHawk Voice Cable Modem

Hello I have a question that the documentation for this modem cant seem to answer. I was wanting to connect a second router to this modem since it has 4 ports and supports double aggrigation. I have one router already successfully connected in port 1, but when I try ports 2,3, or 4 the 2nd router never gets internet. Im not sure if there is a setting i turn on in the modeem and I have logged into the modem and didn't find anything. Maybe there is something I have to download?

Here is the link to amazon for my modem

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Multi-Gig-Internet-Technology/dp/B07LCHLFD6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=U...

Message 1 of 17
Nodism1125
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Crashnburnps3, 

Ethernet ports 2-4 are covered on your Nighthawk CM1150V Voice Cable Modem because those ports are reserved for Ethernet port aggregation. Ethernet port aggregation is not currently supported for the CM1150V.

https://kb.netgear.com/000060510/Why-are-three-Ethernet-ports-covered-on-my-NETGEAR-Nighthawk-CM1150...

Message 2 of 17
TimGS
Guide

The CM1150V has only 1 usable port even though it physically has 4 total Ethernet ports; this appears to be a bit of false advertising. 😞

Message 3 of 17
Catchenre
Aspirant

I agree, this kind of false advertising is completely unacceptable and I'm pretty pissed.
Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 4 of 17
Catchenre
Aspirant

Why even have ports for aggregation if it isn't supported!?
Message 5 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

The 1150 is based of the CM1100 which supports LAG. Most LAG modems are ment for small business or business network envrionments which have a need for LAG. I presume the 1150V may support LAG at some point however maybe only needed at the business level environments. Also the ports on the back of the 1100 series are only for LAG and you would need a LAG supporting router, like NGs R7960P router. Which supports LAG on both its WAN side and LAN side. When using LAG stardard configurations is only the modem with the use of 1 NAT router that supports LAG. So you can't use two routers behind a modem even with LAG enabled modems. Its not how LAG works. 

Message 6 of 17
Dieselsan
Aspirant

I confirmed with Netgear yesterday (July 8, 2019) that indeed only port #1 in this modem is operable. The other ports are for future use. Yeah, would have been good to know that before we bought it, right? Anyways, this means you must choose what device you elect to connect: your PC/Mac via ethernet, router or other device. I have a Netgear Nighthawk router connected and DO have a Netgear Extender running off the router with no issues. 

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 7 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Use of a enternal router is highly recommended. Then connect all of your devices to this router. 

Enjoy. 

Message 8 of 17
trainman19
Initiate

I agree completely. In all the advertising it shows 4 ethernet ports. That is one reason I bought it.

Is there a way for Netgear to make them active with a firmware upgrade? Let the owner choose whether they want the aggregation or not.

Message 9 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

The additional ports are for LAG or Multi IP addressing from an ISP that supports having more than 1 Public IP address. Something that isn't available from all ISP or may not be available for home class ISP services. Again, if your not in need of LAG or have a need for two IP address from the ISP, then this model modem may not be for you. The LAG is mean for use with a external router with LAG support like NG R7960P and have an ISP service line of 1Gb. I believe this is what NG intended use was planned for. 

@trainman19 wrote:

I agree completely. In all the advertising it shows 4 ethernet ports. That is one reason I bought it.

Is there a way for Netgear to make them active with a firmware upgrade? Let the owner choose whether they want the aggregation or not.

Message 10 of 17
trainman19
Initiate

Thank you for the explanation. There are those of us who are beginners or novices when it comes to modems and associated equipment. It would have been helpful if Netgear stated in the information about the modem, only Port 1 worked at this time. Reading the description, and looking at the illustrations, I thought the 4 ports were like the Xfinity router I was replacing where all 4 ports worked.

Message 11 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya I understand. I think there needs to be more in front customer information regarding how the these modems work and what they really do for users. Customers need the correct information to made better buy discisions. The average home user really doesn't have a need for the additional ports. Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 17
goofy78270
Aspirant

I also agree that the choice for aggregation should be up to the user.  Most home users do not even know what this is.  Even with the link aggregation, which they currently advertise for this modem, but is not available (https://kb.netgear.com/000060510/Why-are-three-Ethernet-ports-covered-on-my-NETGEAR-Nighthawk-CM1150...), it states only 2 port aggregation...so why are there 4 ports if not for additional devices or 4 port aggregation. 
Excerpt from Netgear product page - https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/cable-modems-routers/CM1150V.aspx

> Use an Ethernet cable to connect the CM1150V cable modem Ethernet ports to WAN port of your existing WiFi router, WiFi System or directly to your computer and get high-speed connectivity for all your devices. Aggregate two (2) LAN ports to double maximum wired speeds (compatible WiFi router like the Nighthawk AX8). 

I also talked with the Xfinity rep about this modem and while multiple IPs is an option from them, there is currently no interface within the modem to setup static ips so flipping between IPs may be a problem upon reboots (manual or after auto firmware updates).  Also, this in turn comes at an additional $10 a month. Why would I not just use the cable modem from Comcast at $13-$15 a month versus the $10, and have 4 ports that ALL work, includes XFi, and wireless, with no additional devices needed?

Netgear, I have loved most of your products, and been a big fan for a while but this is pushing me away as this product is advertised to replace an Xfinity modem, but loses so many features and is not really a replacement as I am replacing 1 device with 3 others.

When will link aggregation be supported or the additional ports enabled for a single IP address as this product has been on the market for about a year now?

Message 13 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Most home users only have a need for 1 IP address. The LAG support and multi IP address support is meant for business class envrinoments. The 1150v seems to support both home and business environments and seems to be designed for this kind of flexibility. It's up to the user to deside there needs and if this modem fits that or not. 

Message 14 of 17
Kevoman
Initiate

It isn't false advertising, know what you are buying.

Message 15 of 17
goofy78270
Aspirant

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/cable-modems-routers/CM1150V.aspx

So tell me how it is not false advertising when they say "Gigabit Ethernet ports (with LAN port aggregation) for faster wired connections" or "Gigabit Ethernet Ports—Four (4) Gigabit Ethernet ports (allows 2 LAN port aggregation to double maximum wired speeds)." but the feature is not available at this time.

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe NG already mentioned that LAG is coming to the 1150v modem. 

LAG is already supported on the CM1100 and 1200 modems. 

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7