Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ethernet connection issues CM1150V

dkrl
Follower

Ethernet connection issues CM1150V

Just purchased modem CM1150V, using OSX, Xfinity internet; in the past with other cable modems, I have always used a direct ethernet connection to my Mac through one ethernet port, and then connected my router from a second ethernet port.  Netgear customer support said that I can not use that setup with this modem--I can either have the direct connection to the computer OR the connection to the router, but not both.  Is this correct?  This is the first time I have ever not been able to have both the computer connected directly by ethernet, and the router connected via  a second port.

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 1 of 42
antinode
Guru

> [...] in the past with other cable modems, [...]

Such as?  "other cable modems" is not a very detailed description of
anything.  (Probably not very accurate, either.)

If your old "cable modems" were actually modem+router combination
units, then that could explain the difference.  A Netgear CMxxxx is a
modem only, not a modem+router.  Typical residential Internet service
allows you one public IP address, hence one device connected to the
modem.  If you want more devices, then you add a NAT router, connect the
router to he modem, and connect the devices to the router.

> [...] This is the first time I have ever not been able to have both
> the computer connected directly by ethernet, and the router connected
> via a second port.

"via a second port" on _what_, exactly?

What is your "the router"?  Why not connect the router (WAN/Internet
port) to the modem (Ethernet port 1), and connect all your
computers/devices to your (unspecified) "the router"?

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your modem model number,
and look for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Read.  Look for
"Ethernet ports".

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/CM1150V/CM1150V_UM_EN.pdf

Note  Your cable modem comes with plugs that cover Ethernet ports
            2, 3 and 4.  For more information about Ethernet ports 2, 3,
            and 4, visit netgear.com/support/product/CM1150V .

Message 2 of 42
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

I am not sure which modem you had with 2 ethernet ports. 

Modems with multiple ethernet ports are pretty recent and were available recently on D3.1.

Message 3 of 42
tencentgolf
Initiate

Fairly snarky reply.  Fairly easy to see what the first person was saying.  Basically, there are three ethernet ports that don't do what most people would assume they do (provide a wired connection the internet).  When the ad on Amazon states "VERSATILE CONNECTIONS: 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports give you fast wired connections to your computer, separate Wi-Fi router, printer, game box, and other devices." it isn't that unreasonable to assume it has router capabilities.  I made the same mistake.  It appears that it does not.  And even though it touts it is certified for Xfinity, knowing Xfinity only has one IP per household and requires routing for additional devices, it isn't very clear that it cannot do this. 

And to your point of the user manual, yes, read it.  Go to the link it points to for support and find something, ANYTHING, that explicitly says those ports cannot be used to connect to another device.  It does say they are reserved for port aggregation, but then defines port aggregation as combining TWO ethernet ports to improve file transfer speed.  Why do you need four ethernet ports if you only combine two, and you have a certified Xfinity device, and know Xfinity only gives you one IP, so you know the other two wouldn't work anyway?  How do you aggregate two ports when one doesn't work (I don't really understand what port aggregation means here).

"What is your "the router"?  Why not connect the router (WAN/Internet
port) to the modem (Ethernet port 1), and connect all your
computers/devices to your (unspecified) "the router"?"

That is easy, where the cable comes into my house is a terrible place for a wifi router, so I need to run it through the home network panel and ethernet to another port for wifi, but then need to connect to the network panel to provide wireline service to two other locations in the house for a couple of reasons.

Message 4 of 42
antinode
Guru

> Fairly snarky reply. [...]

Fairly incomplete/uninformative problem description.

> [...] three ethernet ports that don't do what most people would assume
> they do [...]

You're far ahead of me.  I haven't surveyed enough people to know
what "most people would assume".  When confronted with multiple Ethernet
ports on a _modem_ (not a router), my first reaction would be to get
some documentation which explained how to use them.  Which I did.

> [...] When the ad on Amazon states [...]

_Whose_ "the ad on Amazon"?  Not my fault.

> [...] knowing Xfinity only has one IP per household and requires
> routing for additional devices, it isn't very clear that it cannot do
> this.

Who's "knowing" this?  I know nothing, but I might guess that Xfinity
offers some level of service which involves a block of IP addresses.
I'd expect typical residential service to provide one IP address.  So
I'd expect a _modem_ not to be able to improve upon that.

> [...] Go to the link it points to for support and find something,
> ANYTHING, that explicitly says those ports cannot be used to connect to
> another device. [...]

Go to that link and find _anything_ which supports your assumption?

> [...] where the cable comes into my house is a terrible place for a
> wifi router, [...]

There are many ways to run (co-ax or Ethernet) cable from one place
to another, and many ways to disribute wireless-network signals in a
large building.

I gather that you bought a device which does not meet your
expectations, and you are unhappy.  You seem to believe that those
expectations were reasonable, but they've proved to be wrong.  If you
believe that you were misled, then you might direct your complaint to
the folks who led you.  I'm not sure what you expect anyone in this
(mostly) user-to-user forum to do.

Message 5 of 42
tencentgolf
Initiate

Ok champ, thanks for being super helpful to people.

I am neither unhappy or happy, the netgear owner posting on amazon was unclear, the user manual even less clear, the support page completely void of any thing helpful. I solved it another way, not a big deal.

Your responses win for least productive on this forum. Hats off I guess.
Message 6 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

The CM1150v is mostly for having just 1 PC connected or just 1 external wireless router. The additional LAN ports on the 1150v are for static assigned IP addresses from a ISP for mostly a business operation configuration. Or you can connect a LAG compatible router to the CM1150v and use Link Aggregation for bandwdith support. Such as the R7960P which supports LAG on it's WAN side. Again, mostly seen in a business environment. 

If your a home user, I recommend getting into any external router and connect all client devices to the router. Use the 1150v modem for your internet service interface and phone support for you phone support needs. 

@dkrl wrote:

Just purchased modem CM1150V, using OSX, Xfinity internet; in the past with other cable modems, I have always used a direct ethernet connection to my Mac through one ethernet port, and then connected my router from a second ethernet port.  Netgear customer support said that I can not use that setup with this modem--I can either have the direct connection to the computer OR the connection to the router, but not both.  Is this correct?  This is the first time I have ever not been able to have both the computer connected directly by ethernet, and the router connected via  a second port.

Message 7 of 42
ojwoody
Initiate

I completely understand what you're saying. There's absolutely no purpose for the other 3 ports because you cannot use them. One device one port, makes no sense to have the other three not sure why they would even put them there to confuse peopleI, 

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 8 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Well I presume this information is in the user manual and how to connect the modem up. 

The ports are there for those configurations that support them is all. I presume the ports should be more clearing marked for home users in regards to only using the 1st port. 

Message 9 of 42
Wafire
Initiate

Having just set up the CM1150V, I ended up on this thread looking for an answer to the same issues as above. Now I know, and yes, I agree, pretty snarky initial reply. 

Message 10 of 42
Rice69
Aspirant

I just purchased a used Netgear CM1150V Modem and had the same issue of only being able to have the laptop connected and nothing else at the same time. The people from Xfinity didn't know that either. They didn't have an answer for me. I ended up connecting my old Modem back.
Message 11 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

The CM modem is only a modem, doesn't have any router features. To get more than one device connected, you need a external wifi router connected then you'll be able to connect more than one device. 

Pg3 of the spec sheet shows a good example of how the modem can be use with just a PC or a external wifi router:

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/networking/CableModems/CM1150V.pdf

Good Luck. 

@Rice69 wrote:
I just purchased a used Netgear CM1150V Modem and had the same issue of only being able to have the laptop connected and nothing else at the same time. The people from Xfinity didn't know that either. They didn't have an answer for me. I ended up connecting my old Modem back.

Message 12 of 42
RichW777
Initiate

That is correct only the first one actually works. Cost me a Comcast house visit to figure it out $70, I should have bought the CM 1000 and saved over a $100 on the modem!

Very deceiving to show 4 ports one the product and put in the description "4 x 1G Ethernet Ports"!

Message 13 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Well if you need phone support from your ISP then the 1150v would work and be benificial. If not, then this isn't the modem that you should be using as you would be paying for a feature that your not using anyways. No where does it state that it includes a router so this would be one key to remember. 

You can also remember this, any NG CM series models are catagorized as modems only. So no built in routers what so ever. Even though some of 4 ports in back, this doesn't indicate a presence of a router. NG C series modems are generally catagorized as modem/routers or "gateway" modems. These do have built in routers and wifi and also have 4 ports in back. Something to keep in mind when reviewing NG  modem products.

If yon can, return the 1150 modem and go with a CM1000. You still need a external router to connect to this modem for router and wifi featuers. 

Good Luck. 

Message 14 of 42
Abnrmalchris
Aspirant

How did you figure it out? Or get around?

Message 15 of 42
antinode
Guru

> How did you figure it out? Or get around?

What is "it"?  "get around" _what_?

The CM1150V is a modem, not a modem+router.  If you're like most
users (in that you get one IP address from your ISP) and if you want to
have multiple devices on your LAN, then you need a router (as well as a
modem).  If you don't have a router, and you need a router, then one
solution is to get a router.  It's not complicated.

Message 16 of 42
johnrumble99
Tutor

Very deceiving to show 4 ports one the product and put in the description "4 x 1G Ethernet Ports"!

Indeed . Fortunately I have routers everywhere just unplugged and plugged ethernet cords , but wasted 3 hours trying to figure it out

Message 17 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Users should read the user manual as well. 

Message 18 of 42
johnrumble99
Tutor

Well duh. Sometimes you buy stuff on Amazon without reading the manual. The issue is why put 4 ports with 1 ip
Message 19 of 42
antinode
Guru

> Well duh. Sometimes you buy stuff on Amazon without reading the
> manual. [...]

Well duh, indeed.  And sometimes, when you act on no or bad
information, you make a mistake.  Whose fault is that?  Duh?

> The issue is why put 4 ports with 1 ip

Not everyone has only one IP address.  Duh?

Message 20 of 42
johnrumble99
Tutor

You seem like a nice person. Always this pleasant or did I get you on a good day.
Message 21 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Also we can no longer assume just because it has 4 LAN ports in back that it means in has a built in router. 

Good rule of thumb is to check the spec sheet or user manual or Mfrs support web site for additional information. 

For NetGear modems, CM#### models modems are mostly if not ALL modem only units. No built in router or wifi. 

NetGear C#### series modems are gateway modems, thus modem with built in router and wifi. 

Any model number with the "V" at the end means it supports RJ11 copper phone line support. 

If uses don't have a need for the additional LAN ports or additional ISP IP addressing on there cable modems, then users should look into the CM1000 or CM1100 series modems. 

Good Luck. 

Message 22 of 42
DarrenH
Aspirant

I bought my modem(nonrouter) from Costco and  got the same problem. There are 2 LAN port but only one available to connect internet. 

Model: CM1100|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS 3.1
Message 23 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

So do you have the CM1150V or the CM1100? 

My CM1100 connects with two routers separately with my ISP service. I get to separate networks behind my CM1100. LAG not enabled. 

What are you connecting to the two ports on the back of the modem? 

@DarrenH wrote:

I bought my modem(nonrouter) from Costco and  got the same problem. There are 2 LAN port but only one available to connect internet. 

Message 24 of 42
DarrenH
Aspirant

Mine is CM1100, and I'm having Comcast.

Message 25 of 42
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7