Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ethernet connection issues CM1150V

johnrumble99
Tutor

I gave up and went back to the Xfinity issue Xfi modem @ $14 per month for now 

They have the Phone /router/modem combo locked down  right now with the Arris 

Crafty devils have it so if you want the highest speeds you have to get the phone package 

Message 26 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

And your seeing problems with the CM1100? 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. 
Be sure there are not coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 

@DarrenH wrote:

Mine is CM1100, and I'm having Comcast.

Message 27 of 42
RTSwiss1
Guide

"So do you have the CM1150V or the CM1100?

"My CM1100 connects with two routers separately with my ISP service. I get to separate networks behind my CM1100. LAG not enabled."

Furrye38 --

Sorry for the late inquiry.  If  iunderstand yiur earlier post you're running two networks on separate routers behind a CM1100.  Can I ask who you use as an ISP?  I'm upgrading to a comcast plan that includes one of our voice landlines and am trying to decide between the CM500V and the CM1150V.  My initial inclination was to go with the latter, on the assumption that with four ethernet ports I would be able to hang a least two routers (one wireless, the other exclusively for hard-wired machines) off the modem.  The bulk of this thread (and other posts elsewhere) suggests not, although much of it is devoted to distinguishing between modems and modem/router combinations.  But your observation about hanging separate routers off each ethernet port of a CM1100, which the Netgear CM1100 literature clearly suggests is feasible, leads me to wonder why they would omit that same feature from the CM1150V, with its four ethernet ports. 

Am I right that the CM1150V does not incorporate that feature?  If so then I'd probably just get the CM500V (I have no need of gigabit incoming speed), and if I really wanted an isolated hard-wired network I'd just get as cheap a second incoming external line as I could find, and run it as a completely separate network (problem from a different ISP).

FYI the current router is a Checkpoint 730, and the router on the second network would be an older Checkpoint version. 

Thanks for any insight you might have to offer. 

Best

-- Ted

Message 28 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

SparkLight

I stumbeled across this on the CM1100. I was also under the asumption of if you had 1 WAN modem that you got 1 IP address from the ISP and that all the other ports on the back would not be active or usage or you had to enable LAG on the 1100 then it would work with a LAG enabled host router. With these modems that have two or more WAN ports in back, Seems that NG has put this feature in or some how makes it work behind the scenes. I also have a CM1200 which has the 4 ports in back however I didn't test my therory out at the time. I should one of these days. I have had some concerns about my ISP looking at this or finding out and saying, you can only have 1 IP per house hold. I haven't got or heard anything from the ISP since putting this in place which was last year when I upgrading to 1G service. I was only thinking that if I can share what I pay for on two separate networks, Even if LAG was enabled, then it would work. And it does. 

I don't know if the CM1150v has the same abililty. I never demo'd this modem. I can only presume that the 1150v is possibly the CM1100 with the phone support added. I could be wrong though. You could try it out and see. If not, then try the CM1100 or 1200.

You will need a router to connect to the CM modem. CM modems are just modems. There are no routers built in for these modes. 

@RTSwiss1 wrote:

"So do you have the CM1150V or the CM1100?

"My CM1100 connects with two routers separately with my ISP service. I get to separate networks behind my CM1100. LAG not enabled."

Furrye38 --

Sorry for the late inquiry.  If  iunderstand yiur earlier post you're running two networks on separate routers behind a CM1100.  Can I ask who you use as an ISP?  I'm upgrading to a comcast plan that includes one of our voice landlines and am trying to decide between the CM500V and the CM1150V.  My initial inclination was to go with the latter, on the assumption that with four ethernet ports I would be able to hang a least two routers (one wireless, the other exclusively for hard-wired machines) off the modem.  The bulk of this thread (and other posts elsewhere) suggests not, although much of it is devoted to distinguishing between modems and modem/router combinations.  But your observation about hanging separate routers off each ethernet port of a CM1100, which the Netgear CM1100 literature clearly suggests is feasible, leads me to wonder why they would omit that same feature from the CM1150V, with its four ethernet ports. 

Am I right that the CM1150V does not incorporate that feature?  If so then I'd probably just get the CM500V (I have no need of gigabit incoming speed), and if I really wanted an isolated hard-wired network I'd just get as cheap a second incoming external line as I could find, and run it as a completely separate network (problem from a different ISP).

FYI the current router is a Checkpoint 730, and the router on the second network would be an older Checkpoint version. 

Thanks for any insight you might have to offer. 

Best

-- Ted

Message 29 of 42
RTSwiss1
Guide

Thanks. That's helpful. I suspect you're right about the derivation of the CM1150V, and I might give it a try.  But if it doesn't work I'll probably settle for CM500V, since we don't need or have gb service; most of our work is transferring academic/business files, not hidef streaming.   I was aware that either device lacked any router, as we had invested in a business level router for its security services that we're happy with. 

Thanks for the information.  If you do test your theory on the CM1200 I would be interested in hearing what you find. 

Best.

-- Ted

Message 30 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know what you find out. 

Message 31 of 42
daviburg
Tutor

"Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY(r) Voice" says the box - verbatim. Got the modem, got Xfinity's fastest plan they would sale. Doesn't actually do more than 1 gig. Wait, what? Yep, it's a multi-gig modem that doesn't support multi-gig. Sad. It might be accurate to say it's a Gig-speed cable modem, 'ready' for future *potential* multi-gig speeds. But not today.

Message 32 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Mutli Gig means having two or more WAN ISP addreses into the modem. Four ports are for separation WAN IP addresses from the ISP or you can LAG. WAN port would be 1 IP address, followed by a different IP address from the ISP set to the other ports. 

I do this on my CM1100 with just 2 ports. I have one IP address on WAN port 1 and another IP address from the ISP on the 2nd port. I have two different routers connected to the modem so two different networks. I have 1G support here so just sharing what I believe is the 1 Gb speed on the line. I get 1Gb speeds on both networks. 

@daviburg wrote:

"Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY(r) Voice" says the box - verbatim. Got the modem, got Xfinity's fastest plan they would sale. Doesn't actually do more than 1 gig. Wait, what? Yep, it's a multi-gig modem that doesn't support multi-gig. Sad. It might be accurate to say it's a Gig-speed cable modem, 'ready' for future *potential* multi-gig speeds. But not today.

Message 33 of 42
RTSwiss2
Initiate

Furrye38

For some reason the forum refused to accept my login credentials and made me set up a new name (RTSwiss2).  I finally found the time to try connecting a second router to one of the other ethernet ports on the CM1150V.  I used port 3, shut down the wireless on the router (so as not to conflict with existing SSIDs) and connected a computer via hard wire to the router, and powered up the router.  Computer found the router, and the router found its way to the outside world.  I have thoughts on (a) why this worked, and (b) why it is not a "theft of internet services" as someone kept insisting earlier in this thread.  Will fill in the details later, but the short answer is that, at least using ports 1 and 3, the CM1150V, like your CM1100, can drive more than a single LAN via separate routers simultaneously.

Best

Message 34 of 42
daviburg
Tutor

I have the CM1150V modem and would be much interested in learning the exact steps to get ports 1 and 3 working simultaneously for one router each while having a single gigabit service with the ISP. Please include which ISP it worked with when posting details as the ISP controls the firmware version and update on the modem. Also include which router(s) make and model worked.

Message 35 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Glad the CM1150V works like the CM1100 and I presume the CM1200 as well. I wonder if port #4 works in the same manor. I presume it does. 

You might contact one of the forum moderators about your prior user name account: @RTSwiss1 

@christian_R

@RTSwiss2 wrote:

Furrye38

For some reason the forum refused to accept my login credentials and made me set up a new name (RTSwiss2).  I finally found the time to try connecting a second router to one of the other ethernet ports on the CM1150V.  I used port 3, shut down the wireless on the router (so as not to conflict with existing SSIDs) and connected a computer via hard wire to the router, and powered up the router.  Computer found the router, and the router found its way to the outside world.  I have thoughts on (a) why this worked, and (b) why it is not a "theft of internet services" as someone kept insisting earlier in this thread.  Will fill in the details later, but the short answer is that, at least using ports 1 and 3, the CM1150V, like your CM1100, can drive more than a single LAN via separate routers simultaneously.

Best

Message 36 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

If you only have 1 router then you can only use either port#1 if the external router doesn't support LAG. 
If the external router supports LAG then you can enable LAG on both CM modem and external router then connect the router to Port 1 and 2 only. 

LAG routers I know of are NG Orbi AX, R7960P/8000P, There RAX series may also support LAG. Some ASUS routers like there GT-AX1100 does and presume other ASUS model routers. 

Now if you had two external routers, no LAG, you can connect 1st router to Port #1 and the 2nd router to Port #2. If you had 3 routers, then you would connect the 3rd router to Port #3. I presume if you had a 4th router, it would connect to Port #4.

@daviburg wrote:

I have the CM1150V modem and would be much interested in learning the exact steps to get ports 1 and 3 working simultaneously for one router each while having a single gigabit service with the ISP. Please include which ISP it worked with when posting details as the ISP controls the firmware version and update on the modem. Also include which router(s) make and model worked.

Message 37 of 42
RTSwiss1
Guide

The modem was orignally configured with a Checkpoint router in Port 1.  Assuming the ports were paired (1-2, 3-4) for purposes of link aggregation, I chose to connect the secod router (a much older fast ethernet Checkpoint) to Port 3.  Before powering up the router I wired it to modem Port 3 and hardwired a MSFT Surface to LAN Port 1; and then I plugged it in.  The router LEDs indicated functioning WAN and LAN connections.  On the surface I pinged the router and in a command window ran ipconfig /all |more to find that the Surface appeared to be connected to the ISP.  I then just loaded a browser, navigated to google and looked up somethig new to make sure i wasn't just loading previously cached data, and then ran speedtest for good measure.  At the same time the principal network continuted to function normally. 

My reasons for not being surprised (but I wouldn't have been surprised if it had turned out not to work) include the following (mostly logical surmise, without benefit of the technical detail that is above my paygrade). 

1.  When you use a separate modem and router, the ISP's interaction is with the modem, not the router.  I'm no technician, but I'm not even sure the ISP knows or cares what router is behind the modem, asl long as it is compatible with the modem (which the modem figures out for itself).    At another location I had a separate modem/router setup, and when the router became too dated I swapped it out for an up- to date router, and I am pretty sure that doing so inovolved no intereaction with much less intervention by or permission from the ISP.  The ISP assigns an IP address to the modem, not the router, unless the you're using (as I suspect most users are) a combination cable modem/router. 

2.  When you connect a router that provides both wired and wireless LAN connections (and I don't recall every having seen a wireless-only router), you are, in effect, running two separate networks -- wired and wireless -- from the router.   If so there is nothing intrinsically different about running separate networks by hanging separte routers off the modem, at least if it has the ethernet ports (as most modems do not) sufficient to accomodqte more than just one.  The CM1100 apparently has two; the CM1150V has four.  I've satisfied myself that this works off Ports 1 and 3 of a CM1150V, and I'm glad I followed your advice to buy it and try it. 

3. Not that I trusted it, but I did contact tech support at the ISP in advance of buying the modem and upgrading my service to ask whether a modem could support more than a single router.  From the questions he asked I'm not sure the tech had ever encountered a modem with more than one ethernet port, but once he understood that I was talking about a modem with multiple ports, his answer was "sure?", which I interpreted as "at least I think so."  As I said, I didn't take that to the bank, and one of the techs who did the instillation said "No way" (though I think she was not having her best day).  But as it happens the guy in tech support appear to have been right. 

4.  Finally, to whomever it was that kept saying this is a "theft of internet services," my short answer is "I don't think so."  The ISP interacts with the modem, and controls the rate at which date is transferred to and from it and you by the way it provisions service to the modem.  If, as in our case, that speed is set at 300Mbs, that's the the top rate at which it will permit water to come through the hose.  If on the other side of the modem you choose to divide that between wired and wireless LANs, or between two seprate routers, I don't quite see how each of them can spout water at 300 if no more than 300 is permitted into the connection wih the modem to begin with.  It's just a matter of how you want to allocate the bandwith that you have chosen to buy from the ISP. 

So, that's what I have learned.  Thanks again, Furrye38, for the advice.  

Message 38 of 42
hanhth
Initiate

Hi guys:

Thanks Fury and others to patiently explain the details without the sharky answers. I too was here after googling (thanks Goolge) and trying to figure out what's the issue with Ethernet Ports 2, 3, and 4. I was connecting the NG AX12 Router to port 1 and connecting my mac directly to port 2 and 3. And couldn't firgure out what's going on, with Xfinity Tech for a couple of hours. Tech kept saying yea yea all your ports should be enabled when I try to activate CM1150. My days of CCNA are over, back in tech crash days of early 2000s. I only know enough to be dangerous, should have known better. But again, yes, it would have been nice to point out what is the purpose of port 2~4 in a note in quick installation guide. I know no one ever ship with full user manual anymore, gotta go online and find the digital version. 

Again, good night, thanks....

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 39 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad the information helped and we did have to include any "shark" responses. LOL. Snarky people are out there. Smiley Tongue

Enjoy the modem. Smiley Wink

@hanhth wrote:

Hi guys:

Thanks Fury and others to patiently explain the details without the sharky answers. I too was here after googling (thanks Goolge) and trying to figure out what's the issue with Ethernet Ports 2, 3, and 4. I was connecting the NG AX12 Router to port 1 and connecting my mac directly to port 2 and 3. And couldn't firgure out what's going on, with Xfinity Tech for a couple of hours. Tech kept saying yea yea all your ports should be enabled when I try to activate CM1150. My days of CCNA are over, back in tech crash days of early 2000s. I only know enough to be dangerous, should have known better. But again, yes, it would have been nice to point out what is the purpose of port 2~4 in a note in quick installation guide. I know no one ever ship with full user manual anymore, gotta go online and find the digital version. 

Again, good night, thanks....

Message 40 of 42
MacroLogo
Aspirant

I had a very similar problem. I ultimately solved it by having my entire system  connected as I wanted it (i.e., the ethernet cable connected between the cable modem and the wifi router), with everything powered on, then called Comcast/Xfinity on my cell phone. I verbally spoke the option "no internet connection" when the robot asked me to describe my problem at which point the robot reset my entire system remotely. It sent me a text message saying it was starting the reset and then hung up on me. Ten minutes later I got a message that my system had been reset. At that point, I was able to go through Netgear's protocol of setting up my new Wifi router, which included updating the Wifi router's firmware. It was however, obvious as soon as Xfinity had reset my system that things were going to work.

Further comments

1. I spent many hours trying to troubleshoot this before hitting upon the relatively quick solution above.

2. I called Comcast/Xfinity twice before my successful call. For these first two calls I had said I need to "Activate my system". Each time I was connected to a human. The first human got my information then tried to transfer me to an activating agent at which point my call was dropped by Comcast. The second agent insisted that I did not need to activate, said she had been working for Comcast for 20 years, that she could not possibly be wrong, and hung up on me. So the trick was getting a robot, not a human.

3. Comcast documentation and human advice seem to convey that once the cable modem is working, it doesn't matter what is hooked up downstream. This is demonstrably false. I was able to hook up only one device at a time (my old wifi router, or my computer directly, or my new wifi router, or another computer). In order to swap these out, I needed to use my cell phone to call Comcast and have the robot reset my entire system. In the case of directly connecting a computer, there was a way to do this directly form the computer browser, but I couldn't figure out how to do this directly with a wifi router.

4. Before hitting on the correct solution, I tried a number of tricks, like setting a static IP to the router equivalent to the IP that Comcast had previously assigned my desktop computer. But I was not successful.

5. I was getting close to giving up an surrendering and buying an Xfinity Gateway. Xfinity definitely has a conflict of interest in providing advice or making it easy to connect your own gear.

6. It wasn't strictly true that I had "no internet connection" because I did have a connection through my desktop computer. I just couldn't figure out how to change that connection to the wifi router.

7. I was not able to update the Netgear Nighthawk router's firmware until after I had the system reset by Comcast.

8. Merely turning off the power to the cable modem does not work. It has to be reset remotely by Comcast.

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 41 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. 
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.

You can factory reset the CM modem your self as well. There is a reset button on the modem. Press and hold it for 15 seconds then release.

Message 42 of 42
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7