Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ethernet downloading slow with NETGEAR Nighthawk DOCSIS 3.1

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Ethernet downloading slow with NETGEAR Nighthawk DOCSIS 3.1

I have a fast internet connection via Xfinity, which goes through my Nighthawk and then wirelessly through Google Nest. As far as I can tell there are no issues with Xfinity, Nest or the Nighthawk when connecting wirelessly. (Speed just tested wirelessly: 712Mbps download, 40Mpbs upload. This is typical.)

The problem is when I connect through ethernet, on an Asus PC running Windows 10.

Upload speed stays the same, but download drops to 20-30Mpbs. Assuming the issue was a setting on my PC, I followed all the tips I could find (resetting this, flushing that, etc), but no luck. I then tried on a different PC, same issue, suggesting that it's not a PC setting to blame.

If the issue isn't Xfinity (seems improbable if wireless is OK) or the PC (would be odd to have the same issue on two different computers), then my next assumption is that it's a setting on the Nighthawk.

I know next to nothing about routers, so if anyone can tell me what to check (and how) or has a different suggestion for solving the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Ethernet downloading slow with NETGEAR Nighthawk DOCSIS 3.1

Why would you come on here to chastise someone who needs help for an error that someone else has already corrected, and not offer any help yourself?

It's OK: the answer is obvious. You are a petty individual with not much going for you in the rest of your life, so you troll places like this looking for an opportunity to feel better about yourself.

Hope it worked for you for a few minutes.

By the way, I fixed the problem I came on her for without you. Good luck fixing yours. You probably need a different kind of forum for that.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What model cable modem do you have? DOCSIS 3.1 is not a model #

Are you speed testing with a browser or Ooklas installable speed test app? 

Message 2 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Apologies -- didn't realize there was more than one Nighthawk. It's the CM2050V.

Yes, testing using Ookla, but via Chrome. Happy to install the Ookla app and try that, also to try using different browsers.

However, it's the same Ookla, in-browser app that's showing lightning speed for wireless and then super-slow for Ethernet, if that helps. Odd that wireless would register 500Mbps and then Ethernet 20Mbps moments later, on the same site.

Anyway, i appreciate your help.

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

If you're able to get that speed from wireless, its not the modem thats the bottleneck. It can't differentiate between the wired/wireless your router is using. Its simply providing an internet connection to the router. IF either wireless or wired is hitting full speed, its not causing the bottleneck. 

Message 4 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks --

Since the Google Nest isn't involved in the ethernet chain, does that mean that it can only be a setting in Windows 10 common to both PCs? (I've tried a different cable.)

I appreciate your help.

Message 5 of 7

@Retired_Member wrote:

Apologies -- didn't realize there was more than one Nighthawk. It's the CM2050V.

That is a modem only device. Most of the features and performance is down to the router between the modem and your network.

Saying "Google Nest£ is about as detailed as saying Nighthawk. Both are brands rather than model numbers.

Message 6 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Why would you come on here to chastise someone who needs help for an error that someone else has already corrected, and not offer any help yourself?

It's OK: the answer is obvious. You are a petty individual with not much going for you in the rest of your life, so you troll places like this looking for an opportunity to feel better about yourself.

Hope it worked for you for a few minutes.

By the way, I fixed the problem I came on her for without you. Good luck fixing yours. You probably need a different kind of forum for that.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7