Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FATAL FIRMWARE UPGRADE ...... AVOID 1.0.4.28 version

sygibson
Tutor

FATAL FIRMWARE UPGRADE ...... AVOID 1.0.4.28 version

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT USE FIRMWARE VERSION 1.0.4.28.

It is completley BUSTED - and because Netgear only supports their prodduct for 90 days - you are pretty much guaranteed to be SCREWED if it goes south. I happen to have a pretty good idea of how to salvage a device firmware failure - and also got lucky to get it back working ... with only WASTING 2 HOURS of my time.

I just spent 2 hours fighting with my Netgear Nighthawk R9000 and external Motorola MB8600 Ultra Fast DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem. I upgraded from 1.0.4.26 to .28. The upgrade went smoothly. But on reboot of the WiFi router, no Internet connection was estabilshed. I went through the usual pain of unplugging LAN ports and plugging them back in, powering off the WiFi router and back on. Powering WiFi Off, Motorola Off, wait 1 minute, then Motorola on, wait 10 mins, then Wifi ON ... 3 times.

I gave up and connected my personal cellular hotspot, downloaded the 1.0.4.26 version, backrevved the WifI Router, then went through 3 more power off/wait/power on cycles before the WiFi router would finally acquire connection to ISP.

ABSOLUTELY NOT SAFE FOR CONSUMPTION.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: FATAL FIRMWARE UPGRADE ...... AVOID 1.0.4.28 version

Please post about this here for your model router:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-nighthawk
You might try Voxels 3rd party FW as well. 
Good Luck.

@sygibson wrote:

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT USE FIRMWARE VERSION 1.0.4.28.

It is completley BUSTED - and because Netgear only supports their prodduct for 90 days - you are pretty much guaranteed to be SCREWED if it goes south. I happen to have a pretty good idea of how to salvage a device firmware failure - and also got lucky to get it back working ... with only WASTING 2 HOURS of my time.

I just spent 2 hours fighting with my Netgear Nighthawk R9000 and external Motorola MB8600 Ultra Fast DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem. I upgraded from 1.0.4.26 to .28. The upgrade went smoothly. But on reboot of the WiFi router, no Internet connection was estabilshed. I went through the usual pain of unplugging LAN ports and plugging them back in, powering off the WiFi router and back on. Powering WiFi Off, Motorola Off, wait 1 minute, then Motorola on, wait 10 mins, then Wifi ON ... 3 times.

I gave up and connected my personal cellular hotspot, downloaded the 1.0.4.26 version, backrevved the WifI Router, then went through 3 more power off/wait/power on cycles before the WiFi router would finally acquire connection to ISP.

ABSOLUTELY NOT SAFE FOR CONSUMPTION.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7