Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Fast LAN speed/slow WiFi speeds

BenA12
Aspirant

Everything was slow.  So, I've rebooted the dell laptop, android phone, and iPad, and now they all are getting a faster download speed, 26, 14, and 36 Mbps, respectively

Message 51 of 72
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Does that mean it's all working now?

Message 52 of 72
8Ohms
Guide

After playing around with the settings a few times and adjusting the location of the router. I am not getting far hight download speeds than before. On IPv6. I am gettng speeds of up to 60 Mbps over wireless. Which is more than half the speed I was told I could expect using LAN. And between 27 and 34 on IPv4. So it's pretty fast now. 

Appreciate the help.

Message 53 of 72
Isaac85
Tutor

what do you mean on IPv6 and IPv4?

Also what did you do to get the wifi speeds up

mine is still bad on 2.4G (like 5 Mbs max) and 5 G (26 Mbs max) out of 105 Mbs hardline speed.

I called F*#king net gear on the phone and they wanted me to pay $120 to buy what the call over the phone support, what a clowns, never heard of a company that wants to charge you many for supproting their crappy products. 

Message 54 of 72
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Isaac85 What's the exact model number and version of your device?

Do you have the latest firmware installed on your unit?

IPv6 and IPv4 is the type of connection that's being used.

Hardwired connection is totally different from wireless connection.

What's the wireless adapter being used?

How do you measure your speed? Is this done through a laptop or a mobile device?

Message 55 of 72
modave
Aspirant

Did factory reset on my WNDR 3700.  Getting 29 Mps wired and 11 WiFi using EX600 range extender. Any suggestions?

Message 56 of 72
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@modave Do you have the latest firmware installed?

Without the extender what's the speed of your wireless?

Which signal you're connecting to (2.4GHz or 5GHz)?

What's the speed when you directly connect your computer to the modem?

How many wireless devices are connecting wirelessly?

What are these wireless devices?

Message 57 of 72
modave
Aspirant

Yes

Without extender -12.13 down and 5.96 up

2.4, 5.0 not coming up after reset

I can't connect to net plugged directly into modem. Modem is 1 day old. Netgear CM500. Speed when direct wired into router is 26.03 down and 6.07 up.

8 Devices, 1 desktop, 1 laptop, 2 iPads, 1 ooma phone system and 1 cell phone

Message 58 of 72
modave
Aspirant

I had 5.0 G before reset.  How do I get it back?

Message 59 of 72
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What's the speed you're paying for?

Why can't you bypass the router?

It's best to bypass the router to verify the speed promised by the ISP.

When you say that the 2.4GHz and 5GHz doesn't come up after reset, does that mean that the wireless light on the front of the router is turned off?

What's the exact model number of your unit?

Do you have any wireless button on the front panel of the router to turn on/off the wireless feature?

Message 60 of 72
modave
Aspirant

25Mps

When Ethernet connected directly to hte modem, I cannot connect to net.

5G light is solid blue and 2.4 is flashing green

I connected to 5G network on iPad and did speed test and got 29.03Mps and 6.09 up

Installing USB wireless adapter to see if it helps.

Message 61 of 72
pdrupareliya
Aspirant

I have exactly the same issue. Got a 100mbps speed connection and get that on any device if connected by LAN with the router . But on wifi I get only 50 mbps on the 2.4 ghz . On the 5 ghz I get slightly better speeds (60-70) but that in turns makes the wifi signals drop with the extenders I have (also netgear). So the technician dialed the 5ghz . Still not getting above 60mbps from the wifi.
Message 62 of 72
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@pdrupareliya What's the model number of your NETGEAR device?

2.4GHz is really prone to interference and that might be the reason why you're getting that speed.

Wired can't be the same as the wireless speed. These 2 are totally different connections and there are factors that needs to be considered when it comes to wireless.

Message 63 of 72
mohan5k
Aspirant

I have the same issue. When connected to Arris modem? Any solutions pls let me knkw
Message 64 of 72
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@mohan5k What's the exact model number of your device?

What's the firmware version installed?

All devices are affected?

What are the devices affected?

Kindly describe further on what you're experiencing so we can provide better response.

Message 65 of 72
aussiedog
Aspirant

Wired connection directly to modem: 180 mbs (comcast)

Wired connection through router: 20 mbs

Wireless connection using router: 20 mbs

Same issue with all devices

Not a cable issue for the wired connection (tried several)

no interferences from other devices (and of course, this wouldn't explain the wired slow connection)

on latest firmware

did the 30-30-30 that briefly improved the WIRED connection only, but minutes later it reverted to 20 mbs

The router clearly seems to be a bottleneck, and it is not just a wifi issue. Any solutions short of getting a new router? 

Model: WNDR3400v3|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 66 of 72
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

This should have been corrected by a firmware upgrade and reset.

Since you're still experiencing the same thing, I suggest that you get a new router.

Message 67 of 72
NoMoreN600
Aspirant

I'm consistently getting slower speeds through my wireless connection vice hardware.  Hardwire directly into my modem I have 25Mbs download, yet wired I only get ~12Mbs.  I've check and the router is stating it has the latest firmware (V1.0.1.14).  Any suggestions?

I had this problem a while back and it just seemed to resolve itself, but it seems to be back.  Of note, the wifi speed was down to less than 5MBs, but after a restart it jumped up to the now 12MBs.

Model: WNDR3700v2|N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 68 of 72
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you can make sure that it's not an Ethernet cable problem then it's time to get a new router.

This matter should have been corrected by the firmware and reset.

Message 69 of 72
jrp1311
Aspirant

Hi folks. I'm having the same problem on my C3700. Ethernet speed is fast, wifi speed is a lot slower. If the issue is that it is not tested or 3 starred with Comcast, does anyone know of a wifi/modem combo that is and will work with Comcast?
Message 70 of 72
tonyward
Initiate

Anything we can do short of purchasing a new router? My router began having these dreadful wifi speeds about 3 1/2 months into owning my netgear product. If these things really crap out that soon, that'd be a shame. I've done virtually everything recommended in this thread and am still experiencing speeds < half of my LAN speed. My LAN speed is fantastic and strong, but as soon as I hard wire or connect to my router wirelessly those speeds diminish. In fact, I get almost NO upload which is difficult because I produce music and tend to share it with people which is impossible with 0.1kbps upload speeds. I've resorted to transferring my songs onto my phone and uploading them via my phone's 4G network. I feel like I'm wasting money paying for internet that I don't get to enjoy because of a cheap product. I'm pretty financially strained and going out of my way to purchase a nicer router isn't realistic. I'm on the latest firmware version, have found unused wifi channels to set my wireless connections to, hard-reset my router, tried different cables and more. If this is how netgear products operate, I don't think I'll wanna buy them in the future.

Message 71 of 72
saneopinion
Initiate

Guys.. don't waste your time troubling shooting this... It's a router issue.. here is the solution... disable Wi-Fi on your modem .. buy a cheap $15-20$ router ..connect that to the modem via lan wire and use this new router to connect to wifi. It worked for me and another person on this forum
Message 72 of 72
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7