Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Fast LAN speed/slow WiFi speeds

jkeats
Novice

Fast LAN speed/slow WiFi speeds

I sent in a ticket to support on this but still haven't come up with a solution so I thought maybe some forum users might have an idea...

I've got the WNDR4300 with the latest firmware. I use an Arris cable modem (I have that set to bridged so it won't double up on the NAT). My internet speed is 200mbps and I get that on my desktop PC which is wire into the router. On WiFi, though, even when I'm right in front of the router, I can't get any speeds faster than a max of 35mbps, which seems really low. I've tested with an iphone 5, a laptop and a Kindle Fire HD and they all get about that speed (using the Ookla speed test).

I have tried the following:

Nothing has caused the wifi to be any faster than 20-35mbps.

Any other ideas out there as to what to try? Is there a setting I'm missing? Again, the internet speed coming through the router to my desktop is 200mbps it's just the WiFi that's much slower. I know I can't expect to get a full 200 but 20-30 seems pretty low, especially when I'm testing right in front of the router.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Message 1 of 72

Accepted Solutions
vnktsn
Aspirant

Doing a factory reset on my router WNDR4300 with latest firmware solved the issue. Now I am able to get 89MBPS on 5g & 75MBPS on 2g. Thanks a lot.

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 72

All Replies
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You could try lowering the MTU, there's a slim chance this could affect wireless data more than wired data. Try setting it to something like 1400.

And don't place wireless clients too close to the router (less than 1 metre), you need some separation otherwise this could create interference and amplifier saturation problems.
Message 2 of 72
jkeats
Novice

I tried that and it didn't do much. I was able to move some devices around and got the 5ghz speed up to 75-80mbps (again, standing right in front of the router) but the 2ghz is still in the 30-45mbps range.

This is off a 200mbps download speed (which I do get on my wired PC).

What would be realistic to expect as a speed testing at a close distance. It seems like 50% would be about right but I'm not sure.
Message 3 of 72
jkeats
Novice

I notice that, when running Speedtest.net, that the download speed spikes right at the beginning to about 113mbps and then comes back down to the slower speeds I've been getting.
Message 4 of 72
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you try other speedtest sites for comparison?
Message 5 of 72
ricmanning
Novice

I have the same problem. I get 20mbps service from cable. Ookla clocks 20 on my PC, which is connected by Ethernet cable. All WiFi devices clock at about 5 mbps. I have three home WiFi networks available: Standard, 5G and one labelled _EXT for the Netgear extender I use on the second floor. What's the bottleneck? And how can I fix it?
Message 6 of 72
igorratn
Novice

I'am having the same problem with my c3000, worked fine until recently,
have super strong wifi, signal, excellent cable speed, whereas wifi is dead slow.
Message 7 of 72
esteeri
Novice

Re: Fast LAN speed/slow WiFi speeds - Seriously this is not working right

Same here. Wired I am over over 50Mbps. Wireless barely reaching 20Mbps. Tried everything. Even the MTU trick suggested. Any other ideas? Help.
Message 8 of 72
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Please create a ticket for support team. 

Message 9 of 72
Chrono85
Initiate

Did anything ever come out of this? I've got the same issue with a R6200 using a WNR 2000v3 as an AP. OP describes my identical issue.
Message 10 of 72
carl321
Star

2.4Ghz cant give you speeds over 54Mbps

use 5Ghz for speeds over 100Mbps but will only go upto 300Mbps

its how they work

Message 11 of 72
NoMoreN600
Aspirant

Was this ever fixed?  I'm experiencing the exact same problem and nothing Ive tried has fixed it yet.

Message 12 of 72
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@NoMoreN600 Do you have the same exact model number and version of the router?

Can you post a screenshot of the speedtest?

What are the wireless clients used?

Which signal you're connecting to (2.4Ghz or 5Ghz)?

Message 13 of 72
vnktsn
Aspirant

I too have the same issue - wndr4300 + Aaris 6183 modem.  Thru Lan shows 90MBPS, but wireless is very fluctuating 25 - 30 MBPS. Sometimes it is going doing upto 10 MBPS.

Message 14 of 72
NoMoreN600
Aspirant

WNDR3700v2.  I didn't capture any screen shots of the speedtests.  The speeds resumed to normal the next day, but not based on any changes I made.

Wireless clients included OSx on a mac laptop, W10 on a HP laptop, and iPhone 4s and 5C as well as an iPad.  Most of that was on the 2.4ghz band, not sure if any of them were on the 5ghz band.  

Message 15 of 72
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@vnktsn Do you have the latest firmware installed on the router?

After firmware upgrade, I suggest to do a factory reset and then reconfigure.

Also, do you have the latest driver version installed on your wireless adapter?

What's the model number of your wireless adapter?

Which signal you're connecting to? Is it the 2.4Ghz or the 5Ghz?

@NoMoreN600 It might be possible that this is due to interference. Maybe there are other devices that interfere's with the wireless signal like microwave, baby monitors, cordless phones and the likes.

I suggest that you try to relocate the router and check the environment. If you happen to have the Genie installed, verify for other clean channel for you to set on the router.

Other routers such as the neighbors may cause interference as well. Have you tried connecting to the 5Ghz? What's the speed? See if you'll get a better connection on the 5Ghz.

Message 16 of 72
vnktsn
Aspirant

Doing a factory reset on my router WNDR4300 with latest firmware solved the issue. Now I am able to get 89MBPS on 5g & 75MBPS on 2g. Thanks a lot.

Message 17 of 72
NoMoreN600
Aspirant

I've thought about the interfence, but didn't know how to isolate the conditions.  Within my home, we don't have any other phones (outside of cell phones), no baby monitors or wireless security cameras.  I don't know of an easy to way test what channels my neighbors wifi is on to try and deconflict that.  How can you do that within the netgear genie app?

I'll try connecting to the 5ghz band if it happens again (on the devices that support it).  I also can't easly move the modem and router as there are other hard wired connections that I use, and I've had great wireless signal strength from the current location for the past 7 years.

Message 18 of 72
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@vnktsn Glad to hear that it's up and running!

Thank you for the update.

@NoMoreN600 If you happen to have the Genie App installed, under WiFi Connection > WiFi Channel you'll see all devices connected to different channels.This window also shows what channels are being used by your neighbor. Select the best channel that have less users in it. For example, below I can select channel 4. You might be wondering about channels 12 and 13, these channels are only available in some countries. But if you're in the US you can only have 1-11 channels. You can easily change channel by clicking Change Channel at the right hand side of that window and then Modify the channel.

channels.png

Message 19 of 72
NoMoreN600
Aspirant

Thank you for the info.  I had installed the Genie program on my laptop but hadn't explored it.  Definately a good feature to include!

Message 20 of 72
8Ohms
Guide

Glad that worked out and you're finally getting WiFI speed as close to your LAN by going to 5GHz. However, can you please eloberate a little more on what changes you made and where to get the faster speed other than just resetting the router and updating to the latest firmware?

Message 21 of 72
8Ohms
Guide

Good point. How do you make the switch? Cold you please explain the procrdure?

Message 22 of 72
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@NoMoreN600 Let us know any update.

@8Ohms Have you tried the other suggestions?

Can you let us know more information of the problem you're facing?

Message 23 of 72
8Ohms
Guide

Hello Elaine,

I contacted Netgear and the support technician had me changes a few settings using the Netgear Genie. At first the speed was slower when I ran the test using speedtest. The support technician told me was going to check with his collegue and never came back to me or returned my call after an hour. Here's the issue. I am with Xfinity/Comcast. When my new C3000 Netgear Router/Modem is connected with with the wire. The speed is phenomenally fast. I am getting over 90 Mbps consistently. THen when I unplug the wire and go wireless. The speed on IPv4 range between 22 to 29 Mbph, and between 33 to 39 Mbps on IPv6. Those are less than half the speed I get using on the LAN with the wire connected. So I wanted to know if this was normal for the C3000 and for my region. I was told that I should be getting at least half the LAN speed or more by the Netgear support technician. Since that call to Netgear. I have not changed any of the settings, and I am still getting less than half the speed of the LAN on the wireless, even when I take the speed measurement with my PC within arms reach of the Router/Modem. 

So if anyone here has had this issue, and managed to find the right settings for increasing the speed of the download to at least half of what I get using the wired connection. It would be greatly appreciated if you would share the information in details. 

Thanks

Message 24 of 72
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@8Ohms What's the model of the wireless adapter that you're using? Do you have the latest firmware installed on the cable gateway? The latest firmware is 2.02.06.

Powercycle your cable modem in order to install the latest firmware. If you're still having difficulty getting the latest firmware, contact your ISP.

Another thing for you to check is interference. Make sure that there are no other devices that may interfere the wireless signal between the wireless router and that computer.

Have you tried changing channels? What channels have you tried? Avoid devices that may interfere such as cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, etc.

If changing channel did not help, try to change Fragmentation Length & CTS/RTS Threshold to 2304. The settings can be seen under Advanced > Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings

Once you saved the settings, you may have to reconnect your device to the network and observe your connection.

By the way, have you tried checking the speed on a different computer? If you can it would be great just to isolate the case.

Message 25 of 72
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7