Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware update c7000v2

Tom10036
Guide

Firmware update c7000v2

My internet is not working. Spectrum told me that I need to update my WiFi router. I installed nighthawk app from iPhone and I’m stuck at the step where it shows firmware out-of-date. From my laptop connected to the router, I went to routerlogin.net. I followed the online instructions on firmware update using netgear genie. Under Advanced-Administration, I don’t see “firmware update” or “router update” option. How do I update firmware? I have NightHawk AC1900 WiFi cable modem router and I use netgear genie firmware version V1.02.09 for model C7000v2. Thanks.
Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

So its not getting any signal.

go to where the coax enters the home and directly connect tthe coax to the modem. This ensures nothing in the home is causing an issue. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 16

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Modem/router combo devices aren't user updatable. The update has to be pushed by the isp. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mod...

What issue are you having with the internet? from the sound of it, you're able to connect to the C7000 but it doesn't have access to the spectrum? Can' spectrum ping/see it? 

Do you have a screen snip of the cable connections page and the logs?  get a screen snip of those and post them back here. It lets us check the connection back to the isp.

Also, if you have any splitters, amplifiers, or attenuators in the coax line, I'd recommend removing them.

Message 2 of 16
Tom10036
Guide

Message 3 of 16
Tom10036
Guide

I was on the phone with spectrum for hours yesterday. Spectrum tried to fix it from their end but couldn’t do it.
Message 4 of 16
plemans
Guru

So its not getting any signal.

go to where the coax enters the home and directly connect tthe coax to the modem. This ensures nothing in the home is causing an issue. 

Message 5 of 16
Tom10036
Guide

It didn’t make a difference. Hopefully this is a cable issue that Spectrum technician can fix it tomorrow.
Message 6 of 16
Tom10036
Guide

Cable technician was able to fix it. As you indicated, it wasn’t a problem with netgear. Thanks a bunch!
Message 7 of 16
plemans
Guru

glad to hear you got it working!

Message 8 of 16
ByronT
Initiate

What did the tech do to resolve the problem?
I’m having the same issue except I can connect to the internet
Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 9 of 16
Tom10036
Guide

They fixed the problem from Spectrum system. It was fixed after the tech made multiple phone calls to Spectrum over 2 hours. My router didn’t have a problem but Spectrum did something from their end to fix this problem.
Message 10 of 16
ByronT
Initiate

Thank You
I have spectrum also and I’m calling for service! Thanks
Message 11 of 16
Oragnz
Initiate

My ISP (RCN) is telling me they don't push out firmware updates to customer owned equipment. How can I update my firmware if you don't support a method for an individual to perform the operation? My firmware is V1.02.04. The latest I see in the list for my hardware is V1.03.01 (Comcast). The oldest I see under the "other ISP" category is V1.02.14. That's still seriously behind. Being that far behind on firmware could seriously make me vulnerable. Netgear should not let the ISP have control over this function.

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 12 of 16
plemans
Guru

Netgear should not let the ISP have control over this function.

Its not something netgear has control of. Its part of the docsis 3.0/3.1 spec. And its not only Netgear has this issue. 

And they DID do something about it. The newst CAX80 was made powerful enough they could seperate out the modem/router firmware so the router portion is updatable. But not the modem side. That's all controlled by the isp. 

If you want control over it, buy a modem seperate from the router and not an integrated unit. 

Message 13 of 16
Oragnz
Initiate

That's a rich solution. And I do mean rich... $400+ for the router and another $100+ for the modem. I was just looking for a generic firmware solution and possibly a company that stands behind its products. Bye Bye Netgear

Message 14 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 15 of 16
Unlucky11
Initiate

I want to update my netgear modem router
Model: Dual Band
Message 16 of 16