Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware update for C7000

J0RG3_2306
Follower

Firmware update for C7000

How i can update my firmware version in my c7000. I tried via the Genie app and nothing.
Message 1 of 8
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello J0rg3_2306

All cable modem firmware is updated via your ISP automatically. There is no way to manually update the firmware.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 8
jsplat24
Aspirant

My ISP will not provide firmware updates for routers not provided by them. How am I supposed to get a firmware update if not from Netgear?

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 3 of 8
kgroof
Aspirant

Was this ever answered, NETGEAR sent me an email stating I should update but the firmware but process they give doesn't work.  My ISP said same thing about not updating personal routers

Message 4 of 8
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

Cable Modems/Gateways cannot be upgraded by the users. ISP will need to certify and push the FW. 

what email did you get? Is it for C7000 specifically or just a generic email? 

It would be good to paste the email content or provide a screenshot.

Message 5 of 8
kgroof
Aspirant

I guess NETGEAR has no clue how ISPs do business, there is no way they will ever push a FIRMWARE update to a customer who owns their own cable modem. Or are you saying your customers who like to keep firmware up to date should never buy your product and hope that maybe the ISP provides it as a rental in which case I can guarantee you this modem is not on the list of rentals with their service. I guess I must do more homework when I buy my next cable modem and know that NEGEAR sends out security concern emails but doesn't give owners control to update. The below is the text from the email I received from security@e.netgear.com NETGEAR Firmware Update Security Updates Available WHY YOU ARE RECEIVING THIS EMAIL: NETGEAR values the security of your network and data so we have released new firmware updates for several products to address security issues. The products include routers, gateways, WiFi range extenders, and Powerlines. WHAT YOU SHOULD DO: FOR ROUTERS: To update your router's firmware, use a computer that is connected to your router's network and log in to your router at http://www.routerlogin.net. Select Advanced > Administration, click the Firmware Update or Router Update button, click the Check button, and follow the prompts. To read detailed instructions or watch a video demonstrating the steps, visit How do I update my NETGEAR router's firmware using the Check button in the router's web interface? FOR ALL OTHER PRODUCTS: 1.Visit netgear.com/support 2.Type your model number in the search box. Then select your model from the drop-down menu as soon as it appears. If you do not see a drop-down menu, make sure you entered your model number correctly, or select a product category to browse for your product model. 3.Click Downloads. 4.Under Current Versions, select the download with the title that begins with Firmware Version. 5.If you see a Release Notes link, click it. 6.If you do not see a Release Notes link, click Download. 7.Follow the instructions in the Release Notes to download and install the new firmware. 8.If you do not see any Release Notes or if the Release Notes do not have installation instructions, follow the firmware upgrade instructions in your product's user manual, available on the same support page under User Guides and Documentation. Note: If your product does not have a user manual, look for a software administration manual, reference manual, or configuration utility user guide. For more information about the security issues that we have fixed, visit our Security Advisory Page and enter your model number in the Security Advisory Search box, then press Enter. WHAT WE ARE DOING: NETGEAR's mission is to be the innovative leader in connecting the world to the Internet. To achieve this mission, we strive to earn and maintain your trust by delivering products that are secure and by protecting the privacy and security of your data. NETGEAR is constantly on the lookout for both known and unknown threats. Being pro-active rather than re-active to emerging security issues is fundamental for product support at NETGEAR. If you have a security-related support concern, you can contact NETGEAR customer support at techsupport.security@netgear.com. Your security is important to us. Thank you for being a NETGEAR customer. NETGEAR in tw fb yt This message was intended for: kroofjr@gmail.com using security@e.netgear.com on behalf of NETGEAR's Product Security Team NETGEAR, 350 E. Plumeria Drive | San Jose, CA 95134 NETGEAR and the NETGEAR logo are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of NETGEAR, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries in the United States and/or other countries. Other brand names mentioned herein are for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective holder(s). Information is subject to change without notice. © 2017 NETGEAR. All Rights Reserved.
Message 6 of 8
kgroof
Aspirant

I would further ask why does NETGEAR even bother posting the current versions of firmware under the support section of the cable modem part of the Website when users have no control, it obviously must not be certified by the ISPs if there is concern for users updating the firmware
Message 7 of 8
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

for ISPs having certification programs (such as Comcast, Cox, Spectrum etc), we go through their certification programs and ISP is the one responsible for upgrading the FW on the modems.

we post the latest version of the FWs which are certified by the ISPs.

Xfinity is pretty good with certication and pushing FW to all the devices. I cannot say the same about spectrum. 

guess NETGEAR has no clue how ISPs do business, there is no way they will ever push a FIRMWARE update to a customer who owns their own cable modem. >> ISP do push FW. Please head over to DSLreports Xfinity forums and you can see how many FWs Comcast has pushed to all the modems. A lot of these modems are customer owned modems and not leased modems.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7