Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware update for CM400

CSchveder74
Aspirant

Firmware update for CM400

I received an email a few weeks ago saying that there is an important security firmware update that needs to be installed, but when I follow the directions to download and install it, I'm told that it needs to be pushed out by my ISP.  However, when I talked to them, they said that they can't do that because it isn't their modem (I purchased it myself).  How do I get this darned update if I can't download it, and my internet provider can't do it???

Model: CM400|DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
Message 1 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Firmware update for CM400

WIth cable modem the Firmware will be pushed automatically from the ISP so you can not update the modem until the ISP does it.

DarrenM 

Message 2 of 10
CSchveder74
Aspirant

My ISP told me that they are not able to "push" that out because it is not one of their modems.  I bought it from Best Buy, so they have no control over updates on it.  At this point, I have a paperweight!  It has stopped working completely, and I have no way to update the firmware to fix it.  The tech came out and checked our lines, and the signal is strong all the way up to the modem.  Another modem works fine.  This is still in warranty, but only for hardware defects, so I can't even return it.  I'm having to purchase another modem (through the ISP this time), even though this one is less than a year old.  It's ridiculous that there's no way for me to get the updates that are necessary for my equipment to function.

Message 3 of 10
CSchveder74
Aspirant

My ISP told me that they are not able to "push" that out because it is not one of their modems.  I bought it from Best Buy, so they have no control over updates on it.  At this point, I have a paperweight!  It has stopped working completely, and I have no way to update the firmware to fix it.  The tech came out and checked our lines, and the signal is strong all the way up to the modem.  Another modem works fine.  This is still in warranty, but only for hardware defects, so I can't even return it.  I'm having to purchase another modem (through the ISP this time), even though this one is less than a year old.  It's ridiculous that there's no way for me to get the updates that are necessary for my equipment to function.

Message 4 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

All cable modems are updated via the ISP when they are ready to push the firmware this is the same for every manufacture of cable modems so what the rep is telling you is false. Are you having any issues with the modem itself?

DarrenM

Message 5 of 10
CSchveder74
Aspirant

Ir they're all updated via the ISP, why does the email say "Please download the latest firmware to stay up-to-date."?  Followed by a link to "Learn How to Download" the update.

Yes, I'm having issues with the modem.  It stopped working.  I got the notification email about the "important" firmware update a month ago, and it has slowly gotten less and less reliable since then, and in the last week, it stopped working entirely.  I had to replace it today.  

And since you have to pay $50 for tech support (which was more than the modem cost!), I figured I'd be better off just buying a new one than trying to deal with a company that is so unsupportive of its customers.

Message 6 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

That was a mass email that was sent out for all netgear devices. and when it stopped working did all the lights stop showing up green or lighting up at all?

DarrenM

Message 7 of 10
moocowcow
Initiate

I am having the same issue as CSchveder74.  Our ISP says they cannot push firmware updates to modems that aren't their own - they don't want to assume liability.  Netgear needs to resolve this issue.  It's Netgear hardware and firmware.  Stop saying we need to go through our ISPs and give us a way to download the firmware ourselves.

Message 8 of 10
moocowcow
Initiate

I hope this helps other people reading this thread.  After spending 3 hours going back and forth between Netgear and Comcast, I learned that Comcast will do a firmware push if you just request a modem reset.  Apparently, a modem reset will automatically push the latest firmware version to your modem.  If you explicitly ask for a firmware push, the agent may not be knowledgeable enough to know that they can accomplish this through a modem reset as opposed to something more explicit on their end.  That's when they will tell you it cannot be done.

Message 9 of 10
Bredusa
Aspirant

Has the rest to update the firmware been confirmed? I am about to return the c7000v2 I just vought because I spoke with a Comcast tech support person today and they did not even know what firmware was. Once I explained it in laymans terms they contacted a higher level and the response was....get ready.... Comcast does not update firmware for privatley owned routers!
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7