Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware update not possible with Nighthawk or RouterLogin

jmcoppola
Guide

Firmware update not possible with Nighthawk or RouterLogin

I have been on the phone for HOURS with both NETGEAR and my ISP (RCN) with the issue that the firmware on.m my device can’t be updated by either party: Netgear says that they cannot update it, that it is the ISP’s responsibility, and RCN says it is the manufacturer’s responsibility. As much as Netgear claims that one can use the Noghthawk App to do this, that info is also false and should be removed on the Netgear support site AND the Nighthawk app. All the app does is detect that the firmware is out of date and can connect you to Router Login, but that’s it. There is NOWHERE on RouterLogin to update the firmware. You can reboot the device or reset to factory settings. My device is an RMA device sent to me directly from Netgear with out of date firmware. Yet NO ONE can help me update it. Not Netgear and not RCN. I called around to another ISP (Comcast) who *claims* they will support the firmware upgrade, but I can’t be sure they aren’t using that as a bait and switch tactic to get my business. Please, someone, give me some
answers here....!! Thanks!
Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

User applied Firmware updates are not supported on any kind of cable ISP modem. ISPs control FW updates on cable modems. 

Message 2 of 11
jmcoppola
Guide

I think I was a bit unclear. The modem is mine (I own it. Not the ISP). Which is why the ISPs are saying they won’t automatically update the firmware. But Netgear does not have an end user solution to update it on your own...which totally sucks. Unless someone here has a solution..?!?
Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Let me be a bit more clear, for user owned modems, there is no user applied updates. ISP control FW updates for user owned modems. Some ISPs will update FW, some will not. It's all up to the ISP. 

Message 4 of 11
jmcoppola
Guide

Thanks for that clarification. Let me lay out my issue and maybe you can help with finding an alternate solution...

I have the Nighthawk C7000v2 (modem/router combo), with a Nighthwak X65 extender. Our son's devices keep dropping alternately (never the same device, and never at the same time) while my and my wife's devices do not. All three of us have Apple iPhoneXRs, he also has an iPad (the latest "non-pro" version), a MacBook and recently from his school, a Chromebook. His iPad, phone and the Chrombook all have intermitent problems with dropping their wifi connection (and yessterday was day one with the school-issued Chromebook...this can't keep happening). Never the same device (always only one of them) and never at the same day/time. I also have a Dell Laptop provided from work. Zero issue...

I've been on the phone for hours with Netgear and we have don'e literally everything; RMA for two new devices, factory resets, changing frequency ranges, clicked "Enable Airtime Fairness". Literally everything. The one thing that works to correct the issue is going into the admin tab of the modem and change the channel. Once I do that, I need to reset the extender. His devices reconnect after that, but a few days later, the same thing happens: Maybe the same device, or a different. But same issue and result; Dropped from wifi, fixed with changing the channel. Netgear's final determination is that I need the firmware upgrade. So where does that leave me?

Netgearr must have had the option for the firmware upgrade to be performed by  the end user, because the Nighthawk app detects the need for the firmware upgrade, but only sends you to the 192.168.1.1 admin page of your router. But there is ZERO way to upgrade the router's firmware that way. You can *see* the Firmware version under the 'Cable' field in the Advanced tab (and in the upper right hand corner of the page) but you can't action on it.

So @FURRYe38, if you have any clue what I can do here, that would be great. 

Thanks!

Message 5 of 11
jmcoppola
Guide

@FURRYe38:

Do you happen to have any insight as to my issue from August?

Since my last post, my ISP was able to push the latest firmwar update to the modem/router. But we're still having the same issue (across all devices now, still intermittently).

Any help or resources you can provide would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks!

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the and extender? 30 feet or more is recommended in between to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Does problem happen if you turn OFF the extender to see if connecting to just the modem still happens? 

Message 7 of 11
jmcoppola
Guide

Hi. 

Thanks for the reply. Answers in red.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? Yes.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? Approximately, 1800 Sq ft. But I can be in the same room and still not be able to connect...
What is the distance between the and extender? 30 feet or more is recommended in between to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. 31 feet (approximately)

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. I am constantly changing this, as changing the channel is the only thing that corrects the issue. Currently on 6 (2.4G) and 161 (5G).

Also, while the device(s) get dropped from ALL connections (or sometimes can't connect to any at all if it is just being turned on), I only ever need to change the 2.4 GHz channel to correct the issue. I never need to change the 5GHz, event though the device(s) won't connect to either...

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? Yes. Several...6-7

Does problem happen if you turn OFF the extender to see if connecting to just the modem still happens? Yes.

Final observation: The router and the extender 2.4 Ghz channel are ALWAYS the same channel (so 2.4 and 2.4 EXT are both currently on Channel 6) while the 5Ghz channels (both router and extender) are always different channels (router currently on 161 and extender currently on 44)...

Thanks!

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you change the modem to channel 44? 

Extender will and should be on same channels when extending wifi from host signals. 

Do you know what channels your nieghbors are using? 

Message 9 of 11
jmcoppola
Guide

What happens if you change the modem to channel 44? Just changed the router to 44, and when I did, the extender chaged itself to 161 (so they basically swapped channels...but the device that couldn't connect earlier then connected. I can only change the router channels not the extender so I'm not sure how/why that happened? There is no ryhme or reason/schedule as to when devices drop...

Extender will and should be on same channels when extending wifi from host signals. 

Do you know what channels your nieghbors are using? As I write this: 48 & 157 (5G) and 1,3,4,6 &7 (2.4G...I am also still on 6)

Thoughts?

Message 10 of 11
jmcoppola
Guide

Jst changed it back to 161 and router and ext are now both on 161...

So that is how it should be, correct?

Any ideas as to why I might be having this issue?

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7