Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Get 1 gb speed from Netgear C700 AC1900

Mikeberry3232
Aspirant

Get 1 gb speed from Netgear C700 AC1900

I have a Nighthawk C700 AC1900 which says that it supports up to 960 MBPS yet Comcast is telling me that it can't get anywhere near that. I called Netgear customer service and they stated that it most definitely can get that speed but some configuration might be necessary to change it? Since I'm past the 90 days of free support they wouldn't he me unless I paid for it. Any help/input on what I would need to do here? Thanks in advance
Message 1 of 28

First, I assume that you mean C7000.

Second, that is a cable modem.

By the way, you have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. Your devices is a cable modem. You might get better replies, and find other answers, over in the appropriate section:

Cable Modems, Routers and DSL Modems - NETGEAR Communities

Then there is the 960 Mbps bit.  Is that wired? Wifi? What do you get?

Message 2 of 28

@Case850 wrote:

@michaelkenward

The C7000 is not just a Cable modem it is actually a Cable modem router. See link.

Which is why I said that the place to ask about it was here:

Cable Modems & Routers - NETGEAR Communities

Note the page title.

Cable Modems & Routers - NETGEAR Communities

Message 3 of 28
Mikeberry3232
Aspirant

Yes C7000 is what I meant. I'm getting 245 mbps on wifi. I have not checked it hard wired yet.
Message 4 of 28
IrvSp
Master

Hardwired speed is good to know and compare.

WIreless, if different, need to know some info, like device and network adapter, which band, and if a dual band device, are both bands the same speed?

Message 5 of 28
Mikeberry3232
Aspirant

I'm getting the same speed as I did before I upgraded to the Comcast 1gig speed. Around 240 mbps.
Message 6 of 28
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Mikeberry

I would double check with your ISP that they upgraded you account correctly sometimes when they do a upgrade they assign the speed to a different modem that is not yours and leave your modem on the account with the same speed.

DarrenM

Message 7 of 28
Mikeberry3232
Aspirant

I checked my account online and it stated that it was changed to the 1gig plan. But when I called they said that the modem that I have cannot produce speeds up to 1gig?
Message 8 of 28

@Mikeberry3232 wrote:
I'm getting 245 mbps on wifi.

Maybe that is as fast as the wifi clients you are using can manage.

Message 9 of 28
Mikeberry3232
Aspirant

But then why would Netgear state that it can produce speeds up to 1gig?
Message 10 of 28

@Mikeberry3232 wrote:
But then why would Netgear state that it can produce speeds up to 1gig?

Where does it promise that sort of wifi speed? Oh, and "up to" could mean anything.

Remember, your speed between local wifi clients may not be the same as the internet speed.

Can your wifi clients get much better speeds if you try them with different sources?

Message 11 of 28
Mikeberry3232
Aspirant

I do understand that when they say up to 1gig they're referring to wired speed. I just figured that upgrading from Comcast Blast to the 1gig plan that the speed should have increased at least a little bit.
Message 12 of 28

I would expect damn near 1 gig wired. If they say that those wifi and wired speeds are fine, then, not for the first time, they don't know what they are talking about.

This place would be full of complaints of the C7000 couldn't get as near 1 gig as dammit.

When you did the wired speed test, did you use several different sites? The ISP's own is the best.

Message 13 of 28
Mikeberry3232
Aspirant

I wasn't able to test it wired yet. My laptop does have a ethernet jack and the modem doesn't have hdmi only USB.
Message 14 of 28

You may be surprised to find that it is near on 1 gig.

The USB on the modem-router is for storage devices with ReadyShare. I have yet to see a modem/router with HDMI.

Message 15 of 28
IrvSp
Master

@Mikeberry3232 wrote:
I wasn't able to test it wired yet. My laptop does have a ethernet jack and the modem doesn't have hdmi only USB.

C7000 does have Ethernet jacks (yellow) on the back. Look at your MANUAL (not the V2 version, don't know which you have?) on page 9. The USB connector is for a printer or USB External drives...

Message 16 of 28
Mikeberry3232
Aspirant

Yes it does have the yellow ethernet Jacks on the modem but my laptop doesn't have an ethernet port. So connecting via USB isn't the same as ethernet?
Message 17 of 28
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

While the any 24x8 device is capable of around ~960 Mbps PHY rate (approx 40 Mbps per channel  times 24 channels), Comcast is *NOT* deploying 1 Gbps services on 24x8 modem. 

Comcast is requiring all the customers to have Minimum of DOCSIS 3.1 devices for gigabit service. 

Whenever you purchase a modem, you need to check compatability with your service plan on xfinity's website or call them.

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/

edit; Add *NOT*

Message 18 of 28
IrvSp
Master

@Mikeberry3232 wrote:
Yes it does have the yellow ethernet Jacks on the modem but my laptop doesn't have an ethernet port. So connecting via USB isn't the same as ethernet?

Nope, not at all...

So you don't have any device/PC with a network ethernet connector?

Makes it tough to really tell what you ISP is providing...

What IS the make and model of you Laptop? Need to see what wireless speed it can handle.

Wireless is rated by speeds... using letter designation. Most common today would be G, N, or AC. There could be AD as well now. However those first 3 determine the MAXIMUM speed of transfer... If you don't have AC it would be hard to get above even 300Mbps with an N speed wireless adapter.

I've got both N and AC wireless devices. Even the N devices can not reach my full 100Mbps down service... specifically my older iPad's. Why, they don't have enough antennea's and can not even reach 50Mbps.

That is why we need to know what the SPEED CAPABILITY of your h/w is.

Message 19 of 28
IrvSp
Master

@Mikeberry3232 wrote:

I suggest you d/l the modem manual (unless you have a C7000 V2, then get that one) and read it so you know what everything is.

Message 20 of 28
Mikeberry3232
Aspirant

How can I check the hardwire speed if my laptop doesn't have an ethernet port? My iPad is the new generation and my laptop is less than a year old as well.
Message 21 of 28
IrvSp
Master

@Mikeberry3232 wrote:
How can I check the hardwire speed if my laptop doesn't have an ethernet port? My iPad is the new generation and my laptop is less than a year old as well.

Still, the make and model of the laptop is needed so we can find the spec's on-line. Age doesn't matter or help...

iPad is the 4th generation or a Pro? If so, it should show speeds up to or less than 300Mbps usually. Again, depends where you are measuring it. On-line, like at www.speedtest.net is testing on the web, not your device. Device could see the ISP speed (such as at www.speedtest.net) but that has no relation to what you will see in real life on a device. You much have an AC device that has 1GB capability to get 1Gbps down.

Message 22 of 28
IrvSp
Master

@vkdelta wrote:

While the any 24x8 device is capable of around ~960 Mbps PHY rate (approx 40 Mbps per channel  times 24 channels), Comcast is *NOT* deploying 1 Gbps services on 24x8 modem. 

Comcast is requiring all the customers to have Minimum of DOCSIS 3.1 devices for gigabit service. 

Whenever you purchase a modem, you need to check compatability with your service plan on xfinity's website or call them.

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/

edit; Add *NOT*

Might want to check Netgear Product page then, see https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/cable-modems-routers/C7000.aspx

=============

• One of the best cable modem routers for XFINITY® from Comcast Blast/Extreme plans or Spectrum
  • 24x8 Channel Bonding enables up to 960 Mbps‡ download speeds

=============

Message 23 of 28

@Mikeberry3232 wrote:

If these things have USB ports you can get a USB3 to LAN device that also acts as a USB3 hub.

USB 3.0 Hub - Techole Aluminum USB Network Adapter Hub: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

There are other types out there.

It might be worth having so that you can get the full benefit of that Gb Internet at home.

Message 24 of 28

@Mikeberry3232 wrote:

If these things have USB ports you can get a USB3 to LAN device that also acts as a USB3 hub.

USB 3.0 Hub - Techole Aluminum USB Network Adapter Hub: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

There are other types out there.

It might be worth having so that you can get the full benefit of that Gb Internet at home.

Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7