Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How can I disable (or change DNS settings for) IPv6?

mastachaos
Tutor

How can I disable (or change DNS settings for) IPv6?

I'm trying to figure out how I can edit the IPv6 DNS settings on my C7000v2.  If that can't be done, I could alternatively diable IPv6 all together to solve my issue, but I can't find the option for that either.

Please advise.

Model: C7000v2

Hardware Version2.01

Firmware VersionV1.02.08
Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 4
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

IPv6 is forced by ISP using config files on the network. I dont think there is no way to disable IPv6 on the Router. 

Ideally, you should just disable IPv6 on client if you devices allow it  (such as in Windows 7). Not sure why and what you are trying to accomplish by disabling IPv6.

Message 2 of 4
mastachaos
Tutor

There are no options to set the DNS that my router pushes via DHCP when using IPv6, only IPv4, and any device which connects with v6 bypasses my custom DNS, which again, can only be configured for IPv4 on this device for some reason.

My ISP giving me a v6 address should have no bearing on me using v4 or v6 on my LAN if I so choose.

I can't believe this isn't an option, every other router I've ever used gives you the option to disable v6 for the LAN (WAN doesn't matter).

Adding the ability to set custom DNS for IPv6, like you can with IPv4, would solve this issue.
Message 3 of 4
mastachaos
Tutor

As a (stupid) workaround, I limited the v6 DHCP on the LAN to only be able to allocate a single v6 address, so pretty much everything that connects (minus one device) gets a v4 address only. I tried setting it to 0 instead of 1, which would essentially disable v6 in a roundabout way, but the router won't let you do that.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7