Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How did i do that?

CRUZZIN7
Aspirant

How did i do that?

Hi.  Here I am again because you guys are so damn knowledgable!  Okay hopefully I can explain this so it makes sense...  I orginally bought the wndr4500 router/wi-fi to hookup everything I have (don't laugh cause this gets really good) and even as of yesterday everything worked fine.  Now a few weeks ago i got really tired of the N900 wi-fi in this house so I am currently renting the cable/wi-fi modem from my cable company...wi-fi is now a dream.  But because I have four tvs and ton of computers/game consoles running on this stuff I also have quite a few routers which are really just like daisy-chained sort of speaking somehow now overnight and all through today it just won't connect again.  It is now saying multiple networks, dns server may be experiencing problems, your dns server might be unavailable, Because I have the two routers i have no access for my wndr4500 router from my pc even though I have two lan cables attached. One to the 4500 and the other to the new cable/router. I am although getting all my home networking on all my tvs and pcs. I know I'm sounding a little far fetched here but everything worked for at least 2 weeks with the current configuration. I may have somehow got a ethernet mixed up when i was trying to reconnect the direct tv/genies. So if it's just too out there I understand if nobody has an answer but this internet/ethernet is really complicated and I think I've learned so much in the last day that my head is spinning.  thanks and wish me luck and please feel free to throw out any ideas to get me back on track. One thing I know is I'm going to do a restore from last night and see if this gets all straightened out. lol

windows 7, 64

p.s. I currently enabled the wi-fi 🙂 just to send this message out.

Model: WNDR4500v3|N900 WIRELESS DUAL BAND GIGABIT ROUTER
Message 1 of 6
antinode
Guru

Re: How did i do that?

> [...] Okay hopefully I can explain this so it makes sense... [...]

Apparently not.

> [...] everything I have [...]

> [...] the cable/wi-fi modem from my cable company [...]

> [...] quite a few routers [...]

> [...] it [...]

For the non-psychics in your audience, none of that is a useful
description of your equipment.

> [...] really just like daisy-chained sort of speaking somehow [...]

Not a useful description of how anything is connected to anything
else.

> [...] it just won't connect again. [...]

Not a useful problem description.  Even knowing what "it" is would
not help much.

> [...] ideas to get me back on track. [...]

Disconnect everything except your (unspecified) "the cable/wi-fi
modem from my cable company", and then start adding devices to your LAN.

When you're tempted to add an additional router, configure it as a
wireless access point, instead of as a full-function router.  Cascading
multiple routers can cause multiple problems.  Unless you have some good
reason for segregating devices in isolated LAN segments (with different
LAN subnets), you should have one router, not some collection of them.

> p.s. I currently enabled the wi-fi [...]

On _what_?  You seem to believe that everyone else can see what
you're doing.  It's not true.

Message 2 of 6
CRUZZIN7
Aspirant

lol I'm sorry.  I did just throw that out there and obviously didn't organize it very well.  But yes I get it and that's why I worded it as such.  So you did "kind of get it"???  Yes I do have too many ethernet cables they I have hooked to all kinds of gadgets but I did eliminate a few lines by just saying --- hey guys you need to connect wi-fi because I'm done with all these cables.  So 1st you did read my confused story and I just want to give you a big thank you for taking the time to help.  What you wrote is totally true.  So right now I'm still good with all my home networking connections so i can still tap from all my tv's/pcs.  i am currently running on the new cable/router from my cable company and did shut off the other wndr4500 wireless wi-fi.  My wireless works on the new model and that is basically why I got it.  The wireless on the wndr4500 was never good!  What i really need to be asking is do you know of an item that can fit 14-20 ethernet cables instead of using all these adapters/routers.  Somehow over the years I've gotten away with this type of set-up but now i want to just simpilify things.  I do not have a ton of money but will absolutely want what i have with less.  My problem is that I started out with the scuzzi hardware and am accustomed to daisy-chain.  I also do this with the usb 20-30 connector hardware because I am a very multi-tasked person and refuse to waste time connecting and disconnecting hardware.  I just push a button and it's on when I want to use that particular hardware.  So yes I am not the usual person asking questions on here i just knew someone would throw out some ideas.  Knowledge in the lan/networking/server area is what I needed.  I'm going to recap what I am looking to do.

-  possibly get newer updated hardware to channel all these ethernet cables

-  get my 2 routers to communicate (I have no access to go into settings in the router I rent from my cable company so I still need to access my wndr4500 for my survelience cameras and other special settings like Qos, port forwarding etc.  Or maybe I just need to find a new wi-fi/cable modem/router that does everything I need. 

-  get my satelllite internet to connect to this router again - no wi-fi avail on satellite 

thanks again for your info...

Model: WNDR4500|N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router|EOL
Message 3 of 6
CRUZZIN7
Aspirant

I now can access my 4500 router (turned the wireless off) again.  I think I need to port forward something from the old router to the new or vica versa.  Any thoughts??

Model: WNDR4500v2|N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 4 of 6
antinode
Guru

> [...] What i really need to be asking is do you know of an item that
> can fit 14-20 ethernet cables instead of using all these
> adapters/routers. [...]

To me, that sounds like a job for a network switch.  Connect one
switch port to a LAN port on the main router.  Connect client devices to
the other switch ports.  Switches are commonly available with port
counts like 5, 8, 16, 24, ...  More ports generally means more money.
(You can build a tree from smaller ones, but one wide one might perform
better.)  When buying used junk, I'd try to avoid older models with
fans.

> - get my 2 routers to communicate (I have no access to go into
> settings in the router I rent from my cable company so I still need to
> access my wndr4500 for my survelience cameras and other special settings
> like Qos, port forwarding etc.

I don't know how that's supposed to work if you have no ability to
configure the main router.  Of course, I still don't know what your "the
router I rent from my cable company" is.

> [...] Or maybe I just need to find a new wi-fi/cable modem/router that
> does everything I need.

One which could be configured to do useful things might be nice.  But
that "everything I need" criterion seems to be ill-defined, at best.

> - get my satelllite internet to connect to this router again - no
> wi-fi avail on satellite

"my satelllite internet"?  How much do you think that I know about
that?

> [...] I think I need to port forward something from the old router to
> the new or vica versa. [...]

That might depend on what the actual problem which you are trying to
solve might be.  Again, if you "have no access to go into settings in
the router I rent from my cable company", then I don't see how you can
do anything interesting (like specify a DMZ server, or configure port
forwarding, static routes, ...) on it.

> [...] The wireless on the wndr4500 was never good! [...]

What else is it good for?

So far as I can tell, you still haven't revealed why you have all
this network stuff, and what you want to connect to what.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this here for your model router:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-general

Good Luck. 

@CRUZZIN7 wrote:

Hi.  Here I am again because you guys are so damn knowledgable!  Okay hopefully I can explain this so it makes sense...  I orginally bought the wndr4500 router/wi-fi to hookup everything I have (don't laugh cause this gets really good) and even as of yesterday everything worked fine.  Now a few weeks ago i got really tired of the N900 wi-fi in this house so I am currently renting the cable/wi-fi modem from my cable company...wi-fi is now a dream.  But because I have four tvs and ton of computers/game consoles running on this stuff I also have quite a few routers which are really just like daisy-chained sort of speaking somehow now overnight and all through today it just won't connect again.  It is now saying multiple networks, dns server may be experiencing problems, your dns server might be unavailable, Because I have the two routers i have no access for my wndr4500 router from my pc even though I have two lan cables attached. One to the 4500 and the other to the new cable/router. I am although getting all my home networking on all my tvs and pcs. I know I'm sounding a little far fetched here but everything worked for at least 2 weeks with the current configuration. I may have somehow got a ethernet mixed up when i was trying to reconnect the direct tv/genies. So if it's just too out there I understand if nobody has an answer but this internet/ethernet is really complicated and I think I've learned so much in the last day that my head is spinning.  thanks and wish me luck and please feel free to throw out any ideas to get me back on track. One thing I know is I'm going to do a restore from last night and see if this gets all straightened out. lol

windows 7, 64

p.s. I currently enabled the wi-fi 🙂 just to send this message out.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7