Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to analyze the cable signal over long term?

WayneStation
Aspirant

How to analyze the cable signal over long term?

I have Cox cable and a C6300BD Cable Modem/Router and everything was great for many years. I use a VPN connection for work from home. Then Cox had a major outage for a couple of days. They said it was over but it never stopped for me. I called out the tech and he said a piece of equipment was blown on the first pole out from my house and replaced it.

I'm back in now but I'm getting some kind of slight, intermittent interference on my work PC, it drops and reconnects several times a day - just long enough to really mess up my work. The VPN connection with Cisco Anyconnect is very sensative so it's known to disconnect briefly with small network problems while other units never notice.

I tried both ethernet and wireless - same problem.

I suspect the cable company of course because of the recent outage but I need to analyze their signal long term with a graph to prove it. Does anyone know of an app, unit or procedure to do this?

Thanks!

Model: C6300BD-1TLAUS|DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Gateway Wi-Fi AC
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: How to analyze the cable signal over long term?

Not with this modem. Only think you can try to use is pingplotter.com and see if that helps any. 

There were some broadcom based modems that had built in analyzers, those were mostly seen on stand alone modems. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. 
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed? 

Message 2 of 6
WayneStation
Aspirant

ISP is practically useless; it took almost a week to get them out with a complete outage. It takes hours on the phone going through useless scripts to get the tech out.  That's why I want to prove it myself; hence my question.

There's no splitters, the cable is good, modem has been rebooted and powered off/on. No wifi neighbors nearby and besides - it happens on both ethernet and wi-fi.

Have not factory reset and set up the modem but what I really want to do is analyze the cable signal over a long period of time and get a graph. You are saying that can't be done?

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Not with this modem. Only think you can try to use is pingplotter.com and see if that helps any. 

There were some broadcom based modems that had built in analyzers, those were mostly seen on stand alone modems. 

Message 4 of 6
WayneStation
Aspirant

Thanks, I'll try that ping plotter site and keep monitoring. If Netgear sold a long term pass through analyzer for home use price I bet they'd sell some! I see a good one from Bird RF for $ 4,000 but that's not going to happen!

Model: C6300BD-1CXNAS|Docsis 3.0 AC1750 Cable Modem Router
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya possibly. Thought most of the time modems aren't something most users deal with. ISPs deal have to deal with the signal side of things and in most cases it's the ISP responsibility to keep that with in specs not the the user. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7