Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to use my N600 router/modem C3700 as a modem only (choosing "no" to router mode di

nextolast
Aspirant

How to use my N600 router/modem C3700 as a modem only (choosing "no" to router mode did not work)

I have an N600 Router/Modem and an R7000 NightHawk Router.  I want to use the N600 as a modem only and the NightHawk as my sole router.  So, I chose "off" in the router mode on my N600 but it will not communicate the internet to my NightHawk Router.

If I use the N600 with the router mode "on," I can successfully plug the NightHawk into the N600 and use the NightHawk to create a second network.  In that scenario I have two active networks.

So, I have two questions.  First question:  If I have two networks as described above are they as powerful as having just one network?

Second Question:  Second question:  How do I get the N600 to actually work as a modem only?

Model: D3600|N600 WiFi Modem Router - 802.11n Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: How to use my N600 router/modem C3700 as a modem only (choosing "no" to router mode di

disconnect the R7000 and any other devices from the c3700. For good measure, I'd reset the R7000 back to factory as well.

Switch it over the modem only mode. It should reboot. If it doesn't reboot, then power it down and back on.

then hook up the R7000 to it with the r7000 powered down (and the r7000 needs to be in router mode). 

then power up the r7000. Let it fully boot. 

then try to setup the r7000. 

don't hook anything else up to the C3700. In modem only mode, it only gets a single public ip address from the ISP. If multiple devices are plugged in, it'll cause issues and won't work properly. 

Message 2 of 9
plemans
Guru

Was doing more research, I don't see a modem only setting for the D3600. You can disable the dhcp server and the wifi on it. then just hook only the R7000 to it. 

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

There should be a NAT mode feature with in the C3700's web page, probably under Advanced tab/Advanced settings/Router or modem mode? If you find this settting, disable the NAT mode and that should set the c3700 up for modem only mode.

Review the user manual for modem only mode information and location of this feature in the modems web page. 

@nextolast wrote:

I have an N600 Router/Modem and an R7000 NightHawk Router.  I want to use the N600 as a modem only and the NightHawk as my sole router.  So, I chose "off" in the router mode on my N600 but it will not communicate the internet to my NightHawk Router.

If I use the N600 with the router mode "on," I can successfully plug the NightHawk into the N600 and use the NightHawk to create a second network.  In that scenario I have two active networks.

So, I have two questions.  First question:  If I have two networks as described above are they as powerful as having just one network?

Second Question:  Second question:  How do I get the N600 to actually work as a modem only?

Message 4 of 9
antinode
Guru

> [..] I chose "off" in the router mode [...]

Where "off" was actually spelled "No"?

> [...] If I have two networks as described above are they as powerful
> as having just one network?

Define "powerful".  If the C3700 and the R7000 are close together,
then they might interfere with each other more than reinforce each
other.  And, communication between devices on the different subnetworks
can be difficult.

> [...] How do I get the N600 to actually work as a modem only?

Did you contact your (unspecified) ISP?  Cable-TV providers can be
fussy about (or fearful of) different (or multiple) devices connecting
to your cable.  You may need to provide a MAC address (for the R7000) to
your ISP.

Another option would be to keep the C3700 in modem+router mode, and
configure the R7000 as a wireless access point.  This might be more
useful if you can separate the two devices.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Read.  Look for "Use the
Router as a Wireless Access Point".

> I don't see a modem only setting for the D3600. [...]

I'll bite.  Who was asking about a D3600?

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

> I don't see a modem only setting for the D3600. [...]

I'll bite.  Who was asking about a D3600?

The OP was. In the signature the D3600 is listed as the N600 model. If that wasn't the model the OP has, then I'm curious which version they have? I mistakenly assumed the OP had the C3700. 

Message 6 of 9
antinode
Guru

> The OP was. [...]

What was the subject of this thread?  I see:

How to use my N600 router/modem C3700 as a modem only [...]

> [...] In the signature the D3600 is listed as the N600 model. [...]

That's not a "signature", and you trust that over what the OP
explicitly typed?

> [...] I mistakenly assumed the OP had the C3700.

That's one possible interpretation.

Just in case anyone cares, on a D7000[v1], it's ADVANCED > Advanced
Setup > Device Mode : Device Mode.  I see no such option in the D3600
User Manual, but that proves little.

Message 7 of 9
nextolast
Aspirant

Thanks for all the advice.  The only successful combination I can make work is to have two networks.  I have distanced the NightHawk from the N600 so I have the coverage I need, though, strangely, the NightHawk does not produce a stronger signal than the N600 - ?

Message 8 of 9
antinode
Guru

> [...] The only successful combination I can make work is to have two
> networks. [...]

The non-psychics in your audience may not know what you tried.  Or
which kind(s) of "not work" you experienced.  (Or even which model
modem+router you have.)  Such uncertainty makes specific advice
difficult.

"not work" is not a useful problem description.  It does not say what
you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As usual,
showing actual actions (commands) with their actual results (error
messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

Message 9 of 9