Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: I can't connect iOS to Brother printer

Duggs
Tutor

I can't connect iOS to Brother printer

Hi all,

I’m desperately trying to connect my iOS device to my Brother MFC-J625W printer.

There is already a Windows laptop connected with a USB cable and by wifi to the printer and a C7000 Nighthawk AC1900 Wifi Cable Modem Router providing wifi.

The printer, the laptop, and my iOS device are all on the same Wi-Fi network.

I can detect the printer on my iOS device, but when I try to print I get a message up saying it cannot connect and that the wireless routers ‘privacy separator’ needs to be disabled.

I can’t find the option to do this on my wireless router literature anywhere.

Any help locationing with this frustrating situation would be very much appreciated. Please! Thank you.
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 24
IrvSp
Master

Check this THREAD, last message. Suspect the Brother is holding old network information and thinks it is still on that network. Try the last message solution.

Message 2 of 24

... and look for the app, or whatever Macs have, that manages the printer's connection to the wifi.

That is what I did to fix a neighbour's HP printer.

In essence, the issue has nothing to do with your router. It is up to the printer to behave itself and to connect to the wifi.

Message 3 of 24
Duggs
Tutor

Model: C7000 Nighthawk AC1900 Wifi Cable Modem Router

IrvSp, thank you so much for replying.
I'm a little confused because the printer is still on the same network. I'm just trying to use iOS on it.

The Windows laptop has been on the network and I'm on the wifi right now.

Are you suggesting I just reprogram the same network settings?

Thank you for clarifying.

Best, Duggs

Message 4 of 24
Duggs
Tutor

C7000 Nighthawk AC1900 Wifi Cable Modem Router

Hello Michaelkenward,
I downloaded Brother iprint and scan.
It detects the printer but gives me the weird error message I described.

Is there a better app?

I appreciate your help... so frustrated!

Best, Duggs
Message 5 of 24
IrvSp
Master

@Duggs wrote:
Model: C7000 Nighthawk AC1900 Wifi Cable Modem Router

IrvSp, thank you so much for replying.

Are you suggesting I just reprogram the same network settings?

Not on the router. On the Printer.  It might be holding some information from the prior router. Same for the iOS device. Have that FORGET the network and re-attach it. One of those is not set correctly most likely. From the referenced thread, "I just reset the network option on brother printer and again setup the wlan connection" so try the printer wireless reset first, it may be all you need to do.

Message 6 of 24
schumaku
Guru

The Brother MFC has an own Web UI. For a simple test, can you access it using the MFC assigned IP address from the Windows system (Edge, IE, Chrome, ....) Web browser as well as from iOS (Safari)? 

Message 7 of 24
Duggs
Tutor

Thank you for your reply and patience!

I'm going to give it a go!
Message 8 of 24
Duggs
Tutor

Thank you for your explanation.
Also trying this now.

Fingers crossed!
Duggs
Message 9 of 24
Duggs
Tutor

IrvSp wrote:
Not on the router. On the Printer. It might be holding some information from the prior router. Same for the iOS device. Have that FORGET the network and re-attach it. One of those is not set correctly most likely. From the referenced thread, "I just reset the network option on brother printer and again setup the wlan connection" so try the printer wireless reset first, it may be all you need to do.

Okay, I did this manually and now I can print through the app, but it's awkward.

I can't access the ISP or Web Management UI and nothing appears on my Wi-fi even though it's on the network.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Duggs
Message 10 of 24
Duggs
Tutor

Hello schumaku,

Your suggestion was great and I'm not sure why it's not working!

I tried inputting the printer IP, but the Brother Web Management screen doesn't appear.

So I manually reset the network card and connected to Wifi.

I can print using the iPrint&Scan app (awkward) but I still can't access the ISP through my browser and nothing appears on my Wi-fi even though it's on the network.

I'd love to print from a document. The app is quite difficult unless you are printing from the internet. Any thoughts?

Thank you,
Duggs
Message 11 of 24
IrvSp
Master

@Duggs wrote:

Okay, I did this manually and now I can print through the app, but it's awkward.

I can't access the ISP or Web Management UI and nothing appears on my Wi-fi even though it's on the network.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Duggs

Sorry, I'm confused here? Didn't you want to print through the app? Or did you mean on an iOS device in general? What app are we talking about by the way?

Now you've brought up a new problem it seems?

What are you doing to trying to access the 'ISP'? I don't even have a clue what this is? Do you mean your ISP's web page (Spectrum, Comcast, AT&T, etc.)?

Web Management, I assume you mean the Browser Genie app?

What is the IP Address of the 'device'? If on iOS should find that in settings.

What does 'nothing appers' mean?

How about detailing what you are doing and what commands or URL's you are using and explain what you see or take screenshots and post.

Message 12 of 24
Duggs
Tutor

IrvSp wrote:

Sorry, I'm confused here? Didn't you want to print through the app? Or did you mean on an iOS device in general? What app are we talking about by the way?

Now you've brought up a new problem it seems?

What are you doing to trying to access the 'ISP'? I don't even have a clue what this is? Do you mean your ISP's web page (Spectrum, Comcast, AT&T, etc.)?

Web Management, I assume you mean the Browser Genie app?

What is the IP Address of the 'device'? If on iOS should find that in settings.

What does 'nothing appers' mean?

How about detailing what you are doing and what commands or URL's you are using and explain what you see or take screenshots and post.

-------

Hello IrvSp!

I'm sorry for being so unclear. I will start anew. 🙂

After manually resetting my Brother MFC-J625W printer's network card and configuring it to connect to my wifi, I was able to print from my iPhone using an app called Brother iPrint&Scan.

I'm attaching a screenshot from this link in reference to the paragraph that follows:
https://help.brother-usa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/69775/~/wireless-setup---using-web-management

I was not able to access the Brother MFC printer UI, referenced in a previous post by schumaku, using my iPhone by inputting either the old IP (before reset) or the new IP for the Brother MFC printer after the Brother MFC printer network card reset.

However, I was able to print through the Brother iPrint&Scan app.

I can't detect the Brother MFC printer on my wifi through Settings> Wifi; or perhaps I should state it does not appear in any recognizable form on my network.

I would like to somehow use the IP address or other information about my Brother MFC printer to find it on my iPhone if possible.

In the end, I would like to print from something like a word processing application rather than the Brother iPrint&Scan app.

It's really an awkward app or I wouldn't ask...

Thank you for such kind consideration and I apologize for my confusing post. (Hope this is better?)

Duggs

p.s. My first problem seems to be a common one (I researched before posting here.) As a small symbol of my gratitude, the Brother page link I have posted for "Wireless Setup - Using Web Management" is fairly good except some people will have to mash their printer buttons to connect to network. 🙂

Message 13 of 24
schumaku
Guru

Have validated the printer is - after using the peer-to-peer wireless connection to the printer for configuring the printer wireless - connected now to the Netgear wireless?

=== 

Print the Network Configuration report

Press the GO button three times within two seconds.

The Printer Settings report will now print which includes the Network Configuration.
===

Message 14 of 24

@Duggs wrote:

p.s. My first problem seems to be a common one (I researched before posting here.) As a small symbol of my gratitude, the Brother page link I have posted for "Wireless Setup - Using Web Management" is fairly good except some people will have to mash their printer buttons to connect to network. 🙂

If, by first problem, you mean the one at the beginning of your original message, that was about getting the HP printer to connect to the wifi and print.

I’m desperately trying to connect my iOS device to my Brother MFC-J625W printer.

This has not much, if anything, to do with your Netgear router.

It all comes down to the HP printer interface and the various Apple stiff you are using. Netgear is not involved. It just delivers the wifi.

This being the case, then, while people are happy to chip in, this may not be the best place to get quick solutions. Try HP and/or Apple.

Message 15 of 24
IrvSp
Master

Since using the Brother app you can print, it would appear that, at least to me and maybe another member here, this is really a Brother problem? I Googles "Brother MFC-J625W cannot see my router" and this seems to be a similar problem on that model and ones like it. Check this out and look at some of the suggested pages... I suspect this is an Apple or Brother problem, not a Router one. It isn't a 'new' printer either, and the problem could be more Apple's support than Brothers?

Message 16 of 24
schumaku
Guru

All a little but vague.

In general, these kind of printers (or other IoT) can be talked to direct, this can be used for direct printing or to configure the device to connect it to a wireless infrastructure/router.

Once the WiFi on the printer is associated with the router WIFi, it will pick up a network config by DHCP, and show up as an attached device. With the IP address - permitting it's not a WiFi blocking wireless clients from communicating direct - it should be reachable by the IP address from a browser. If it's not, worth to use an information print-out of the current config, or check the LCD menu system if any.

At this point, again permitting the WiFi AP/router does no ugly things, the device should become discoverable by the mobile printing Apps, probably by WSD from Windows, or by Bonjour from a Mac as printer. Here again, it requires that say "basics" like Multicast, or IP broadcast for custom discovery systems, are correctly handled on the router (being on the same radio interface, or being from/to all other radio and wired LAN interfaces. The "connection" is done logically over the  network, it's not a connection from the mobile device to the printer.

To make the confusion complete, some printers continue to broadcast their own wireless network (complementing the existing established WiFi network connection), being as yet another wireless AP, or permitting kind of a WiFi direct connection.

This makes it a little bit difficult to understand where people are stuck, what does work, or what does not. 

Message 17 of 24
schumaku
Guru

@Duggs wrote:
The printer, the laptop, and my iOS device are all on the same Wi-Fi network.

I can detect the printer on my iOS device, but when I try to print I get a message up saying it cannot connect and that the wireless routers ‘privacy separator’ needs to be disabled.

Coming back to the OP initial post - I would not wonder any second if the C7000 (unknown firmware version) has a problem with the transparent communication (Multicast, Boradcast, ...) within the same wireless and/or between the different WiFi/radio interfaces and/or the GbE LAN ports. Beyond of updating to the current firmware (options might be limited of the Cable Modem is under the Cable ISP management) - this is something Netgear must look into.

Message 18 of 24

@schumaku wrote:

Beyond of updating to the current firmware (options might be limited of the Cable Modem is under the Cable ISP management) - this is something Netgear must look into.

As you say, the ISP has to update firmware on that device. Neither the user nor Netgear can do it.

I still think that has nothing to do with this issue.

In all of the talk of resetting various bits and pieces, I see not suggestion of a modem/router reset. That would eliminate any possible "memory issues" on the part of the modem/router. But that too is probably not the issue.

Message 19 of 24
Duggs
Tutor

Hello michealkenward,

What first brought me here was a message stating that I needed to "Check that the Netgear router's 'Privacy Separator' option was disabled.

IrvSp directed me to a thread with another user with exactly the same message. I also saw the same problem on other sites, also presented as a Netgear router setting issue.

Unfortunately, it appears as a Netgear router problem, and I would have been searching for a mythical setting without the wonderful help I received here.

I do thank the community for helping me so much.

Best, Duggs
Message 20 of 24
schumaku
Guru

The mythical control is what in technical terms is a client isolation - which would prohibit a direct communication between wireless devices on the same radio.
Message 21 of 24
Bmess
Aspirant

Message 22 of 24

If you are seeking help @Bmess, you will have to say something about what the problem is, what you have tried from the earlier discussion, and where is goes wrong.

You might find it easier to start your own fresh discussion.

Message 23 of 24
Mark96
Aspirant

Normally, People can't connect their printer to the IOS device due to the few reasons. 

1. Network communication problem.

2. Firewall issue. 

3. Driver issue. 

Now let me give you the instructions to fix the problem. 

1. Be sure your printer and IOS devices is connected from same network. If they are not connected yet. you should go ahead and connected them right now. 

2. Also, you should check firewall and antivirus settings.be sure,your antivirus or firewall is not blocking the printer. so you should turn off the security and then try to connect your printer now. 

3. If you get brother pritner offline error during printing or scaning a document on any device. you should uninstall the printer and reinstall it once again. 

4. After following all these instructions, if your pritner doesn't work for you yet. you should reset your printer to the factory settings and reconfigure it again. I am sure your printer will start working fine. 

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7