Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I have problems with my c700v2 and Ex7000 extender

isaacr77
Tutor

I have problems with my c700v2 and Ex7000 extender

Hello, I have never written in a forum before but I am desperat, I have comcast and we have up to 250mgbs plan. We have around 14 devices and 2 of these are connected to ethernet. alot of the time my internet is really slow and i get around 15-30 mgps when im in my room which is like 20 feet away from the router. When we use the computer which is connected to ethernet  sometimes I get a "cant find internet connection" error on chrome and then have to reload the page. I play video games in my room which is why I got the EX7000 extender so i could use ethernet, I was getting good connection with the extender before i got the C700 router, I would get an average of 100mgbs and was happy. The old router was the xfinity XB3 router, I got the c700 in hopes that it would help with our wifi because it can hold more devices (instead of 16 with the XB3 to 24 with C700). Now my Ps4 gets 20mbps and is always lagging. My question is What am i Doing wrong, and what are the best router settings, and extender settings to get good wifi signal. I dont know much about routers and extenders Please help. Thank you. 

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router, EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 31
plemans
Guru

Re: I have problems with my c700v2 and Ex7000 extender

so our first task is to figure out where the problem is coming from, the modem aspect or the routing aspect of the C7000.

If you hardwire a computer into the C7000, What speeds do you get? You state you're paying for the 250mbps plan. Our goal is first to make sure you can get these speeds. I know the C7000 supports up to 400mbps with comcast. do you get hardwired into the C7000? What speeds do you get?

do you have a screen snip from the C7000 connections page? Log into the C7000 and go to the modem connections page and take a screen snip, we want to make sure you're connections are good.

Another thing to check is if comcast (ugg) provisioned the combo device correctly. I've had them send the wrong configuration file before. Its worth having them reprovision it if possible

IF you get full speeds hardwired into the device, then we'll troubleshoot wireless/home network setup. But lets start at the beginning first. 

here's the support page with manual. It'll walk you though getting to connections page if you have problems.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/C7000V2.aspx

Message 2 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and EX? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming (if available) and WMM on the C7000 modem.

@isaacr77 wrote:

Hello, I have never written in a forum before but I am desperat, I have comcast and we have up to 250mgbs plan. We have around 14 devices and 2 of these are connected to ethernet. alot of the time my internet is really slow and i get around 15-30 mgps when im in my room which is like 20 feet away from the router. When we use the computer which is connected to ethernet  sometimes I get a "cant find internet connection" error on chrome and then have to reload the page. I play video games in my room which is why I got the EX7000 extender so i could use ethernet, I was getting good connection with the extender before i got the C700 router, I would get an average of 100mgbs and was happy. The old router was the xfinity XB3 router, I got the c700 in hopes that it would help with our wifi because it can hold more devices (instead of 16 with the XB3 to 24 with C700). Now my Ps4 gets 20mbps and is always lagging. My question is What am i Doing wrong, and what are the best router settings, and extender settings to get good wifi signal. I dont know much about routers and extenders Please help. Thank you. 

Message 3 of 31
isaacr77
Tutor

First of all, thank you for helping. I ran a speetest using ookla and got 76mbps down and 11 mbps upload. When you say modem connections I think on my router its cable connections so i took a screen shot of that. If you need more screenshots I will provide.  Do I call or chat support xfinity for a reprovision? 

Message 4 of 31
isaacr77
Tutor

Thank you also for replying, My EX7000 is 25ft away i measured it and when you say change the channels im not sure how to do that. Also i was looking through the advanced settings and there is a WMM for 2.4ghz and 5ghz both are on. Also I will look for beamforming to check that our

Message 5 of 31
plemans
Guru

that was the screen but take a couple to get both download and upload. Your power levels for download are technically within spec but you have a bunch of errors. Plus from your speedtesting (provided you did it over a hardwired connection) you aren't getting the full speeds you're paying for. Here's where I'd start:

1. remove any splitters, amplifiers, bad connectors from the coas line entering your house. If possible directly connect the C7000v2 at that location. it reduces the chances of a bad cable/cord/splitter causing the issues. 

2. Once thats done, retest your speeds. Again, make sure to do it over a hardwired connection. Directly connect to the C7000 for the testing. 

Reason for all this is to first get full speed to your modem/router combo device. If we can't, then your ISP needs to check your line to determine why not. Many charge a service fee if the problem is within your house which is why I recommend just connecting the modem right where it comes in. It rules out other cables, splitters etc causing the problems and leaves it in your ISP's hands. 

Message 6 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

25 feet maybe a bit too close, try setting the EX out at 30 feet if you can. Having too much wifi over lap between the modems wifi and the EX wifi can cause some problems.

@isaacr77 wrote:

Thank you also for replying, My EX7000 is 25ft away i measured it and when you say change the channels im not sure how to do that. Also i was looking through the advanced settings and there is a WMM for 2.4ghz and 5ghz both are on. Also I will look for beamforming to check that our

Message 7 of 31
isaacr77
Tutor

Ok is it ok if i set at 33ft? i measured again and its the next closest place i can put it on furniture

Message 8 of 31
isaacr77
Tutor

The cable is 2ft under the router connected without any cable splitters or none of that Do you want me to check outsidefor those? Also If this information is important about 2-3 yrs when we first got xfinity they had to wire everything new so they cut under the front yard and through our driveway to the backyard  where the cables are.  

Message 9 of 31
isaacr77
Tutor

Message 10 of 31
isaacr77
Tutor

Message 11 of 31
isaacr77
Tutor

Message 12 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Any splitters that maybe at a junction box outside on the house if there is a box, or someplace inside if you see anything. Other then that you be ok in that regard.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

I would contact the ISP and have them check the signal and line quality up to the modem. 

Message 13 of 31
isaacr77
Tutor

the cable is just one direct cable all the way to the box which is connected to another cable that goes to the ground. I am on auto for 2.4ghz so im changing it to 6,for 5ghz im at channel 153

Message 14 of 31
isaacr77
Tutor

I got 70mbps could the issue be that my computer doesnt use 5ghz internet it only takes 2.4ghz

Message 15 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

What are the speeds with a wired LAN connected PC? 

Message 16 of 31
isaacr77
Tutor

74mgb and 12up. By the way you solved my ex7000 problem thank you, it has really good connection even the wifi on it is good. thx

Message 17 of 31
plemans
Guru

You should still be getting faster speeds if your device is hardwired in and you pay for 250mbps. Plus you have a bunch of errors.
Message 18 of 31
isaacr77
Tutor

What errors? And how should I fix them?
Message 19 of 31
plemans
Guru

when you look at your connections page for your c7000v2, you're having a lot of errors. Some are correctable, some aren't. A little is ok, a lot is indicative of needing your line checked. Again, if you're hardwired speeds are only 74mbps (not wireless, wired) and you're paying for 250mbps, you're line needs work. 

Message 20 of 31
isaacr77
Tutor

Ok i contacted xfinity about it so they can have someone check it out. Thank you guys alot
Message 21 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it turns out. 

Message 22 of 31
plemans
Guru

@isaacr77 wrote:
Ok i contacted xfinity about it so they can have someone check it out. Thank you guys alot

Any updates from xfinity?

Message 23 of 31
isaacr77
Tutor

Not yet I had to reschedule also having a friend that works as one of the people they send out to install things to check it out. As soon as they leave my house ill let you guys know
Message 24 of 31
isaacr77
Tutor

The Xfinity Guy came today and checked my router said he got good signals checked the outside and inside wiring and said everything was fine, He said that it was because my computer was old and maybe the processor couldnt handle the speeds, the computer is a Hp Pavilion 500-424pc. 

He told me I should run a cleaning program to clean out the files, I got this computer about 7yrs ago so Ima probably get a new one on black friday or find someone who could build me one for a good price but idk where.  Does it make sense what he said, I dont know much about it

Message 25 of 31
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7