Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ISP SuddenLink Won't Update Firmware C6300 AC1750

vmwnek
Guide

Although I can do this in a second home that has Time Warner cable, I still think it is extremely poor customer service for Netgear not to have an alternative download method to update a modem.

The product is yours. Your company is responsible for supporting it.

The circle jerk appears to continue.
Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 26 of 36
vmwnek
Guide

So a second message after a full week of dealing with Suddenlink and Netgear.

Suddenlink says they will not do it, and Netgear will not either.

As far as I am concerned this modem is a Brick and useless to me.

Message 27 of 36
vmwnek
Guide

I am filing a formal FCC Complaint now against Suddenlink and Netgear.

This server and support from both companies is crap.

Message 28 of 36

I just posted about Spectrum and my C7000. I'm getting the circle jerk around too. Netgear says ISP is only one that has the updates. Spectrum told me they can't update user-owned modems. Although then they told me they would escalate to their engineering department and have them update me today. Well it's past 5pm now, and my C7000 is still not updated.

Message 29 of 36
Firestrike
Aspirant

The exact same problem is happening with me. My ISP has it still at V1.02.21 and they have basically repeated word by word what is going on here. I cannot switch providers either since they also have a monopoly in my area.

Message 30 of 36
CharliesTheMan
Aspirant

I've had a similar response from Suddenlink, for what that's worth. I'm currently on the current firmware for the CM700 though, but I only know that because I inquired, and after escalating me to upper tier support (regular tech was helpful with setup, but told me they had changed their policy and would not allow the reps to flash firmware at all on new system, I'm guessing liability issues came up) I was informed that I would need to get Netgear firmware updates from the manufacturer directly.

Previously, I had motorola surfboards, one was a model that didn't sell in high quantities, and the Suddenlink techs always flashed firmware with no problems. I realize that Suddenlink isn't responsible for modems users purchase outside of their service, but there has to be at least an option for manual updating, with a waiver of understanding the risk, etc.

If this is only a Suddenlink problem, I guess it may not be worth the hassle for Netgear, but I'm assuming other cable companies are putting them in the same situation, and it will cost netgear business in the long run. I'm the kind of guy that just recently switched to netgear, and am happy with the hardware otherwise, but will switch back to other brands if I find out that Suddenlink is pushing firmware updates, or the manufacturer has manual update methods. I probably set up 15 surfboard modems because tech is a bit of a hobby and I have friends and coworkers in multiple cities and ISP's.

I tend to buy routers often, and was just starting to switch to Netgear. But I need an option to update firmware on my modems, at least at my own risk, and if I switch modem brands because another manufacturer and suddenlink have update methods, I know I'll switch over to some of the newer open source routers.

While Netgear didn't create this problem, it's in their best interest to lean on/work with Suddenlink to solve it. Especially considering the growth of Suddenlink's gigabit networks and the huge market of regular users that will getting on board to upgrade internet packages and purchase equipment for high speed media streaming.

Model: CM700|DOCSIS® 3.0 32x8
Message 31 of 36
Kirdro
Star

Ok! Finally heard back from Suddenlink concerning my consumer complaint. Here's the gist of it: (This is what I posted on my FCC complaint document)

Suddenlink contacted me by phone at 3:57pm today from ###-###-####. The rep who called me stated that they reviewed my complaint at the corporate level. Their current decision is to refuse to update 3rd party hardware, even if the firmware is released to them. I informed the rep that they were knowingly supporting a gaping security hole on their network by refusing to push the firmware. I also requested that Suddenlink send me this statement in official letter form.

The complaint has been acknowledged by Suddenlink, but is still not resolved.

Waiting for feedback from the FCC now on how they interperet this response, if Suddenlink really has submitted this as a response (and lack of any response for a month and a week past their due date). 

At this point, it's been officially acknowledged by Suddenlink that they won't update (note: "won't" not "can't" as originally described) 3rd party hardware, with the only exception being hardware that they themselves are leasing.

Once we get an official, federally recognized response from Suddenlink through the FCC, Netgear may have reason to begin releasing firmware to customers of ISP's that refuse to update, and have this response to point at for legal backing if there are problems. Again, I understand both Suddenlink and Netgears perspectives on the issue. Netgear doesn't want to get sued by ISP's if their updates break their infrastructure. ISP's don't want to spend the money to upgrade devices that aren't theirs, and don't want to risk the liability if a 3rd parties firmware update bricks a customers device. Both ISP's and Netgear have their current policies in place to protect themselves. Unfortunately, customers have no protection from the problems these policies cause. In Suddenlinks case, they place the customer at risk through failure to upgrade firmware, and then try and place all liability on that customer if Suddenlinks failure to upgrade the device leads to damages to Suddenlinks network.

What Netgear needs, is to be able to release their devices firmware, without fear of breaking Suddenlinks network (which is why we have government recognized industry standards!) and without being blamed for making a device no longer compatible with a customers ISP.

Customers need a right to upgrade their own, personal devices, especially if they are liable for damages caused by failure to do so.

TLDR, Suddenlink/Netgear won't update firmware because legal reasons. Customers get liability, risk, discomfort, and possible damages (and pay to have the experience).

Message 32 of 36
rekamyenom
Tutor

Shame on Netgear for not allowing us to update our own equipment that we own. I will NEVER buy Netgear EVER again. Just say no to Netgear...

With that said, I needed the Firmware update BADLY to solve an issue which is now solved (so far)....

I beat my head against the wall for weeks looking for a firmware update to my C6300 that I bought on Amazon. Netgear won't give it to you and my service provider (Wow) will not push it out. This is what I had to do to get it. 

I took my router to my neighbors house who is on Spectrum (who is pushing the firmware updates), called tech support, told them I was my neighbor, told them I wanted to change my cable modem to my own (Netgear C6300), gave them the MAC Address, they turned it on, the upload and download lightning bolt looking arrows were flashing, that told me that the firmware was updating, to my neighbor out for Chinese food, came back, the lights were no longer flashing, inernet was up, checked my firmware version, and I am now on Hardware Version V3.0 Firmware Version V2.01.22. Called Spectrum back, told them I wanted to put my old router back on, gave them the MAC address of his original Router, and he was back up and running. Thank you Spectrum and Neighbor!

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!

Firmware.jpg

Message 33 of 36
ryandhorn
Guide

Just for fun, thought I'd chime in with a different but equally frustrating issue with this whole Suddenlink firmware business.

I have a CM600 running 1.01.14 that was on Spectrum.  It was purchased brand new a year and a half ago and always online with no issues.  I moved an hour away where only Suddenlink is offered and the CM600 wouldn't connect to their network.  They could see it but couldn't get it online.  They told me to call Netgear (sound familiar?).

Netgear said that the CM600 firmware for Suddenlink needs to be 1.01.12.  I asked Netgear to load it they said they couldn't.  I asked how I can do it and they said I can't.  We conference called into Suddenlink customer support and got "we can't touch customer's personal modems sir, it's encrypted data"(!!!).  

Long story short, I had to buy a new $100 modem to get stock firmware.  Bought the CM700 and out of the box it went on their network no problem.  I pity everyone who switches from Spectrum to Suddenlink with their own personal modems...

Model: CM600|CM600 High Speed Cable Modem
Message 34 of 36
kjoshj
Tutor

No Cable Modem Manufacturer will update firmware, it is the sole responsiblility of the ISP these are part of the DOCSIS protocols.

Arris, Motorola and TP-Link will also not update firmware...

What you have is a crappy ISP and would be better off just renting a modem if a better ISP is not an option, it's sad but that's the way it is.

Message 35 of 36
kjoshj
Tutor

The CM700 is a PUMA 6 modem, I'd recommend doing extreme testing within the return window, as it's issues may not be fixable with a firmware update, that you may or may not ever get.

Message 36 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 36 kudos
  • 15 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7