Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Insane discussion with Netgear support about returning modem under warranty.

jds3
Aspirant

Insane discussion with Netgear support about returning modem under warranty.

I purchased this cable modem in February, so it is still ostensibly under warranty.  Yeah, right.  Try going through those hoops.  So, I paid $160 for a cable modem that lasted about 8 months.  It would have been more cost effective by a factor of 2 to rent from the ISP. 

The modem stopped working during the night, and would not work with power cycle, reset or ISP reset.  Every single piece of equipment from the cable modem to the ISP is maximum 2 months old: all connectors, the splitter, the all cable all the way to the pole, and the tap on the pole.  The technician yesterday checks the power and signal, and everything is fine.  I plug the tech's modem into the cable in the house, and everything is fine.  We both conclude that the NETGEAR CM1000v2 IS JUNK.  I desperately need a functioning network, because my spouse and I are working from home.  I run to a box store and get an ARRIS. Get it provisioned, it works fine.  There is only one conclusion:  the NETGEAR CM1000v2 IS JUNK.  I call them the next day (today) to get a refund.  This is where the comedy begins.

The technician ignores everything that I tell him, and he just marches along the workflow in front of his face.  I follow along, and power up the modem, reset it, etc.  He claims that this procedure proves that the modem is working, and the best recommendation that he can give is to contact the ISP.  I explain to him that it is clearly not working, and that I can prove it.  He repeats himself.  I tell him again that a tech from the ISP was just here yesterday, and everything on their end is fine, and that they proved it.  He repeats himself.  I ask him what exactly what will happen after I replace the functioning modem with the NETGEAR JUNK, and the same thing happens.  He says that Netgear will test it again.  I ask what test they will do.  He begins repeating again that the best advice is to contact the ISP, blah blah blah.  I ask him again, what will happen then.  He repeats himself.  I say, "You really have no idea what Netgear will do, do you?"  He repeats himself again.  I interrupt him, and beg him not to say that again.

Has anyone ever successfully handled this situation with Netgear?  Do they actually ever take back equipment under warranty?

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Insane discussion with Netgear support about returning modem under warranty.

Please contact a forum moderator to help you out. 

@vkdelta 

Thank you. 

Message 2 of 4
jds3
Aspirant

Re: Insane discussion with Netgear support about returning modem under warranty.

How does one "contact a forum moderator"? Will they refund my purchase?
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Select the forum moderators name I tagged and send them a private message. NG forums have no control on refunds or returns. 

Your best option would be to contact the place of purchase about returns. 

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7