Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Internet Speed Dropping on AC1900

Lmackedanz
Aspirant

Internet Speed Dropping on AC1900

I currently have Cable Internet with over 100Mbs download speeds.  During the day I am often getting download speeds of 28-42Mbs, however in the evening (when I will be the only one using the internet), my speed often drops to 1-4Mbs.  I still show upload speeds of 10-12Mbs but the download speed is awful.  I will often unplug the Modem/Router and it will get slightly better (like 7Mbs).  I have called my cable company to have them look at the issue and they have told me it is not signal coming to the house and that it must be the equipment.  

Any ideas what the issue might be?

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem? IF this modem has a built in router, it needs to be put into transparent bridge mode. If it can't be, then use the modems DMZ for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

Disable any wifi radios and uPnP on the modem.

Message 2 of 13
Lmackedanz
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.  You are going to have to bear with me as this not my area of expertise (and clearly it is yours).  I have the Netgear AC1900 that I am using as my modem and router so I do not have any equipment from the ISP.  I hope that answers your question.... 

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Well there is a modem or ONT some place since the router doesn't actually do any kind of modem work or ONT work.

What is your ISP service? Cable or Fiber? 

Where does the Yellow internet port connect too on the router? Wall outlet? 

Is the NG router getting a public IP address ##.##.###.### or a private IP address, 192 or 172 or 10 something on it's internet port? 

Do you have any QOS enabled? 

Speed testing on ethernet connections to check speeds when this happens? 

Message 4 of 13

@Lmackedanz wrote:

I have the Netgear AC1900 that I am using as my modem and router so I do not have any equipment from the ISP. 

AC1900 is not a Netgear model number, more a wifi speed indicator.

Is this a  D7000 of some sort? That's the DSL modem/routers.

For cable it could be C6300, C6900, C7000, C7100, or something else.

The model number is on the device somewhere.

Message 5 of 13
Lmackedanz
Aspirant

Thank you for your clarification. I have the C7000

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/cable-modems-routers/C7000.aspx

It is a modem and router combo. I am not sure how to find my IP address using my iPad (the genie app had not been helpful to me).
Message 6 of 13
Lmackedanz
Aspirant

I just realized that when I replied to another user who had questions for me I did not reply to you as well.  

Here is the modem/router combo that I have :

NETGEAR - Nighthawk Dual-Band AC1900 Router with DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem - Black

NETGEAR - Nighthawk Dual-Band AC1900 Router with DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem - Black - Front_Zoom

My provider is Time Warner Cable (I guess now Spectrum)

I am not sure how to get to my IP address.  I am not sure why I am experiencing such drops in my Wifi Speed when I am the only one on the network.  

Thank you,

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 7 of 13
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Lmackedanz

Try to log into your router via your web browser by using 192.168.0.1 in your web browser should prompt you a login use admin/password to login then navigate to the event log in Advanced-Administration-Event log and post the results here.

DarrenM

Message 8 of 13
Lmackedanz
Aspirant

240AACC0-DE1B-47B0-898C-605E58398597.pngHello,

Here is what I saw.  

Message 9 of 13
Lmackedanz
Aspirant

At the time I posted this I was getting download speeds of 14mps and uploads of 9.57mps. 

Thanks,

Lee

Message 10 of 13
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

You may want to check out this KB on how to improve wireless performance.

https://kb.netgear.com/25182/Resolving-poor-5GHz-wireless-range-signal-from-my-NETGEAR-router

DarrenM

Message 11 of 13
Lmackedanz
Aspirant

Thank you.  I will give that a try.  I am in a subdivision and I can see a number of available wireless networks so it is possible i will want to change my channel.

Thank you.

Message 12 of 13
Lmackedanz
Aspirant

Hello,

I was unable to move the router (and the location isn’t a problem during the day), I also noticed that my router automatically picks the best channel automatically. 

I am am not sure what else to try.  

Lee

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7