Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Internet through modem works, but not through router

aara
Tutor

Internet through modem works, but not through router

Greetings,

I do not have the disc that came with this router; I recently moved into a new apartment and got internet set up with Time warner.

When my ethernet cable is pluged into the modem from my PC, I can get internet just fine; but when I connect to the router (the ethernet cables are connected to the right ports, the cable from the modem goes into the yellow port on the modem and the PC is plugged into one of the lan ports), windows says it needs to find drivers and cannot install the drivers because I do not have the disc. I tried using setup wizard by logging into my router at routerlogin.com (or net?) but it still cannot detect an internet connection. I also tried updating my firmware version but I think the problem is having drivers for the router on my computer.

I have browsed netgear's site and could only find firmware updates, does anyone know where I can get drivers for my router?

Message 1 of 6
aara
Tutor

Also my router is an N150 WNR1000 v3

Message 2 of 6
TheEther
Guru

Your modem may be locked onto the MAC address of your computer.  You can try rebooting the modem while the router is plugged into the modem to see if the modem will migrate service to the router.  If that doesn't work, then try cloning the MAC address of your computer to the router.  You can do this by logging into the router and go the Router MAC Address setting.  Select either Use Computer MAC Address to automatically pick up the MAC address from your computer or Use This MAC Address and enter your computer's MAC address manually.  Click Apply to save the setting.  You may need to reboot the router before the change will take effect.  Test Internet connectivity. 

Message 3 of 6
aara
Tutor

Thank you,

Whoever in the future has this issue, what TheEther said worked

Message 4 of 6
jmackey
Aspirant

Even if my computer (Win 7) shows connectivity tot he internet when the Netgear is connected,  I cannot connect to the internet now, every site times out,  I cannot connect to the router ip 192.168.1.1 using a browser.  With Netgear connected Lan plugs 1,2,3 all show connection in Windows Network.sharing center, while Lan 4 shows no connectivity.  In reality, with the netgear connected I have no internet access at all.  Called support, but leared it would cost $159 to get online support since 90 day window was gone which is ridiculous!  It would be cheaper to buy another router (not netgear) unless Netgear will replace the router in wararnty.  I have no idea how to initiate such a  conversation with netgear.  Perhaps there is an email source but so far I don't see one. How can I proceed to solve this problem?

James Mackey

Message 5 of 6
TheEther
Guru

@jmackey wrote:

Even if my computer (Win 7) shows connectivity tot he internet when the Netgear is connected,  I cannot connect to the internet now, every site times out,  I cannot connect to the router ip 192.168.1.1 using a browser.  With Netgear connected Lan plugs 1,2,3 all show connection in Windows Network.sharing center, while Lan 4 shows no connectivity.  In reality, with the netgear connected I have no internet access at all.  Called support, but leared it would cost $159 to get online support since 90 day window was gone which is ridiculous!  It would be cheaper to buy another router (not netgear) unless Netgear will replace the router in wararnty.  I have no idea how to initiate such a  conversation with netgear.  Perhaps there is an email source but so far I don't see one. How can I proceed to solve this problem?

James Mackey

It's possible that your Netgear router is not using 192.168.1.1.  Read this article (link) to find the correct address and enter that into your browser.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7