Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: KeepSolid VPN Unlimited Setup on Netgear C6230

kritimehrotra
Aspirant

KeepSolid VPN Unlimited Setup on Netgear C6230

Hi,

I have a Netgear C6230 cable modem and router. I am trying to set up KeepSolid VPN Unlimited on this router. Based on some of the instructions online, I should be navigating to Advanced > Advanced Setup > VPN Service. However, I don't see a VPN Service option under the Advanced Setup menu (screenshot attached).

Help with getting this process setup would be greatly appreciated, since I require VPN across multiple devices to be able to access websites from other locations.

Thank you,

Kriti

Message 1 of 5
antinode
Guru

> I have a Netgear C6230 cable modem and router. I am trying to set up
> KeepSolid VPN Unlimited on this router. [...]

What led you to believe that this was possible?

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual (at least).  Read.  Look for
"VPN".  When I did that, I found nothing.

> [...] Based on some of the instructions online, [...]

Thanks for the helpful links.  Did any of these "instructions"
mention your model (or anything like your model)?

Message 2 of 5
kritimehrotra
Aspirant

Hi @antinode!

Appreciate the quick response, though perhaps not the sarcasm as much! 🙂 I acknowledge that my first message did not provide as much information as it should have. I spent more than 4 hours searching across KeepSolid Unlimited VPN, Netgear and Google before posting here, and am trying from my side. I'm not tech-illiterate, but am also not a networking expert. Let me try again.

The main 2 links I was going off of were:

https://kb.netgear.com/24319/How-do-I-use-a-VPN-on-my-Nighthawk-router-to-access-my-internet-service..., which I realize may not apply if I don't have a Nighthawk router. (I was a tad unclear about this because the Nighthawk app does work with my router, but the model name does not mention Nighthawk, so I couldn't tell for sure whether or not it counts as a "Nighthawk router".)

https://kb.netgear.com/23854/How-do-I-use-the-VPN-service-on-my-Nighthawk-router-with-my-Windows-cli..., which did not mention anything specific to a router (or a specific set of routers that are compatible), and though I'm on a Mac, I could also manage this from a Windows machine I have, if needed, and was more generally expecting that I'd be able to translate the steps to Mac if needed, as long as the router itself has that setting.

Lastly, I definitely don't have a good grasp on navigating the Netgear site, and haven't found it intuitive at all which Support articles are widely applicable ("unless noted otherwise") vs. being specific to certain models.

My overall need remains, so if there is a way (perhaps not easily findable by me on the Netgear site or third party instructions) to set this up on a C6230, I'd appreciate any guidance on that. And if it isn't possible with this model, I'd appreciate any guidance on how to find which (if any) Netgear models would enable me to set this up. I was unable to find a filter for VPN capability/compatibility when searching for products on Netgear. As additional information, I have Xfinity internet at 200mbps speeds, so I'd need a modem+router that doesn't throttle that.

Thank you,

Kriti

Message 3 of 5
antinode
Guru

> [...] haven't found it intuitive at all which Support articles are
> widely applicable ("unless noted otherwise") vs. being specific to
> certain models.

Look for "This article applies to:" near the top on the right side.

Apparently, among cable modem+router units, only recent CAXxxx models
support this feature.

I claim no VPN expertise, but, if you want a router with VPN
capability, the alternatives would seem to involve getting a router
which has the features you want.  Whether any of this stuff would be
compatible with "KeepSolid VPN Unlimited" is another topic where I know
nothing.

On the bright side, your C6230 can be configured as a modem-only, and
used with some other (more capable) router.  In its User Manual, look
for "Connect Your Cable Modem Router to a Router After Installation and
Activation".

> [...] I have Xfinity internet at 200mbps speeds, so I'd need a
> modem+router that doesn't throttle that.

Presumably, a C6230-as-modem wouldn't be a worse bottleneck than it
was as a modem+router.

Message 4 of 5
kritimehrotra
Aspirant

Thank you, @antinode! That all makes sense. I'll explore the options here. Again, many thanks.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7