Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Looking for specific features

Hsnna
Follower

Looking for specific features

I can not seem to find a customer service rep or tech support through my provider that can answer these questions. I need a modem that has VERY GOOD security, I have many many smart devices and know they can be easily hacked so I need a modem (preferably modem router combo) that keeps every device attached to its network safe. Second I need the ability to see (in real time preferably) the actual data usage of each device on the network. Every now and then we get a huge spike in our usage and have not been able to narrow down what device or what service is causing the jump. Truly hoping someone can help guide me to the perfect product. Thank you!
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Looking for specific features

Most home class gateway modes don't have any kind of bandswidth usage per device. NG has a traffie meter for there routers and gateways however this only does a over all bandwidth the flows thru the gateway or router only. 

Your best bet would be to have a modem only unit then connect up a wifi router of your choice to have better control over router operations and FW updates. ISPs control FW updates on modems and most gateway modem combo units. Users are not allowed to update FW on these kinds of modems. So I recommend looking to having a separate modem and router configuration. 

I would chose NGs CM1000 or CM1100 cable modems first as these are broadcom based modems. There are known issues with intel chip set based modems and would not be recommended. http://www.badmodems.com

Contact your ISP first to see what they support on there networks.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7