Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Loopback for Synology

drew-k
Aspirant

Loopback for Synology

I'm trying to access my Synology NAS on my local wifi network, but having trouble connecting. When connected to my LAN, no problems. I was told that these issues are because I need to enable Loopback settings. However, I've learned that for my router (I checked the list), it is present and enabled by default. So, I cannot figure out how to make this happen. I need to be able to work in my house while not tethered to the LAN connection seamlessly. 

Does anyone out there have any idea what setting on the router will allow me to do this? I've already tried changing the DNS server to match the settings on the synology. 

Thanks in advance.

Drew

Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Hello Drew,

@drew-k wrote:

I'm trying to access my Synology NAS on my local wifi network, but having trouble connecting. When connected to my LAN, no problems.

Please explain us exactly on how you are using the Syno - while connected to the LAN, and what appears to be different if attempting from the WiFi.

@drew-k wrote:

I was told that these issues are because I need to enable Loopback settings. However, I've learned that for my router (I checked the list), it is present and enabled by default.  

Very unlikely. The usage for NAT loopback is for example if you operate an own Web server using a DNS name like yoursynonaswww.yourdomain.whereever or yoursyno.dyndns.org where the public DNS does resolve to the router public IP (permitting no carrier grade NAT or an ISP assigning any other kind of non-routeable IP addresses).

For most usual NAS usage like shared folder access, or acessing the NAS Web interface, NAT loopback isn't required. 

@drew-k wrote:

I need to be able to work in my house while not tethered to the LAN connection seamlessly. 

Are there multiple WiFi installations at your site, or is LAN and WLAN/WiFi offered by the C7800 Modem/Router?

If this is just the C7800, are you using the Guest wireless network (by default restricted to the Internet, no LAN access) instead of the normal wireless?

Is the problem that the undefined computer (being MacOS or Windows) does not discover the NAS name as a PC/Server, as a storage device, as a DNLA media server, as a TimeMachine destination, ... while connected to the wireless while workable when connected to the wired LAN?

Please connect the computer once to the wireless, and check it's wireless adapter IP interface address. Then connect to the wired LAN, and check the LAN adapter IP interface address. Both should be in the same subnet, like 192.168.0.123 and 192.168.0.45 to start with the troubleshooting.

Regards.
-Kurt

Message 2 of 5
drew-k
Aspirant

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Here's what's going on, hopefully addressing your questions.

I have a 2G connection on my router that I use when I'm not using the Ethernet connection. 

I use my synology drive application to share files, and I use the dsm to check settings and make changes to preferences, etc.

I've set up a secure connection using my Synology unit, so I can use xxxxxx.synology.me:5001. It works great when I'm using the Ethernet connection. However, once I disconnect, the link no longer works. And when I create a shared link to a file or folder, if I'm not connected, it doesn't work. My client can access it, which is good, but there's no way to make sure it works before sending.

When I'm on wifi in the house (on the 2G), I can only login to the server, or see my shared files via the link generated, by replacing the secure xxxxxx.synology.me with the original IP address used when setting up the unit (not secure). Ultimately this isn't a huge deal now that I know what's going on, but it is annoying and tedious to have to manually change this on the links, and to have two links bookmarked (one for Ethernet, one for wifi).

I've had a synology rep look over my settings on their end and it's all correct, so we both believe it's an issue or setting on the router. I've changed the DNS to match a setting on synology. But that's about it. Does this help you understand the issue?

thanks again.

drew

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Ok Drew,

Indeed, xxxxxx.synology.me:5001 does connect to the public IP address thus NAT loopback is in use and enabled - because it works when using the wired LAN.

Now please look in the other hints supplied - e.g. if there is another router or the like around. However, even if there would be another NAT router serving the WiFi referenced.

Technically, also the C7800 LAN and the normal 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi radios connect to the very same network, so the behaviour should be the same.

I'm just a community member, not Netgear, located Switzerland - so no Netgear cable modems in use here I could use for a test - most ISP provide their own modem or modem/router combos.

Regards,

-Kurt

PS: Have requested a moderator to move this thread to the appropriate section for Cable Modem/Routers.

Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@drew-k wrote:

When I'm on wifi in the house (on the 2G), I can only login to the server, or see my shared files via the link generated, by replacing the secure xxxxxx.synology.me with the original IP address used when setting up the unit (not secure).

Changing the name to the IP does not change the connection - Syno does run a https server on 5001, the insecure http would be on 5000. 

Can't explain why using the wireless access (assuming to the same router) should deny the NAT lopback while the LAN would allow using it. If true, this is a probelm with the C7800 with the unknown firmware.

@Dustin_V  please.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7