Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Max wireless connections

Eric_k
Initiate

Max wireless connections

Probably a dumb question. I got the CAX30 at Costco, their ad shows it supports 35+ wifi devices, Amazon says 25, ive seen articles that say newer routers can connect to up to 200+ in theory and I cant seem to find much else. I have close to 25 with smart switches, thermostats, several alexa devices and numerous phones and of course TV. I'm wondering can I connect several more devices and everything still work? A lot of my devices like smart switches im sure aren't much of a burden to the router.
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Max wireless connections

Iot devices don't use much for data and are pretty safe to add. They tend to connect to the lower speed 2.4ghz network.

Its usually 32 devices per band that you can add. (so 64 devices for that device between 2.4ghz and 5ghz)

The CAX30 is a dual band devices so if you spread your devices out a bit, you've got plenty of room to add more. 

And the CAX30 is pretty capable in terms of performance so you should be fine to add more devices. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

You might check the spec sheet for this model modem.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/cax30.aspx

Over all if you have many devices, You may want to get a additional EAX extender to help with the load of having lots of devices connected. Adding a wifi extender can help with this. 

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

Iot devices don't use much for data and are pretty safe to add. They tend to connect to the lower speed 2.4ghz network.

Its usually 32 devices per band that you can add. (so 64 devices for that device between 2.4ghz and 5ghz)

The CAX30 is a dual band devices so if you spread your devices out a bit, you've got plenty of room to add more. 

And the CAX30 is pretty capable in terms of performance so you should be fine to add more devices. 

Message 3 of 5
Eric_k
Initiate

Ok thank you for the information. I'm sure I'll add a few more and probably get the TVs wired on ethernet also.
Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

wiring in the tv's is a great plan. Takes the burden off the wireless system. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7