Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Modem Only C3000 Multiple IP Addresses?

conormw
Follower

Modem Only C3000 Multiple IP Addresses?

I put my Netgear C3000 into "modem only" mode.  Can it support multiple devices connected to it via ethernet cables?  If so, how?

As a bit of background, I am an amateur musician, and I want to use a piece of software  called "Jammulus" to rehearse with other musicians online.  To prevent any lag, I need to connect my laptop to my modem directly via ethernet.  I have a 2017 Mac Airbook, and so I am also using a Ugreen ethernet adapter to connect my computer via ethernet cable.

A few months ago I had serious problems with the wireless provided by my modem/router Netgear C3000.   In short, our upload and download speeds were about 1/10th what Comcast/Xfinity promised. So I switched the device into "modem only" mode and purchased a Deco router that is now hooked up to the Netgear modem.  That fixed the speed problems.  Unfortunately, when I now try to hook my laptop up to my modem using an ethernet cable, the messages in my network settings tab seem to suggest that my laptop is not being assigned an IP address by the modem.  A number of forums I've read suggest that, when modem/routers are placed in "modem only" mode, they will assign IP addresses to only the first device to which they connect (here, I'm guessing the Decod router).  So I'm not getting an internet connection via the ethernet cable.

Is there any way to fix this issue that does not require that I buy a new modem?  Thanks for any help you might offer.

Model: C3000|N300 Cable Gateway Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Modem Only C3000 Multiple IP Addresses?

In modem only mode, you literally can only have 1 device connected to the modem. 

There's not a fix to that. 

What you could try? 

Put the c3000 back in router mode but disabled its wireless. Put the deco in AP (access point mode). If you still get full speeds, then you can use those ports. 

Or attach a switch to the deco so you have more ports on the deco. just don't attach it to the wan port. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Modem Only C3000 Multiple IP Addresses?

In modem only mode, you literally can only have 1 device connected to the modem. 

There's not a fix to that. 

What you could try? 

Put the c3000 back in router mode but disabled its wireless. Put the deco in AP (access point mode). If you still get full speeds, then you can use those ports. 

Or attach a switch to the deco so you have more ports on the deco. just don't attach it to the wan port. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7