Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Modem/Router Combo, constant DS Blinking light

RayDHD
Aspirant

Modem/Router Combo, constant DS Blinking light

I called my network provider today and they did a firmware update. To no suprise i'm still having the same issue. The downstream light will blink green and cut my internet speeds from 160mbps to 30mbps. This happens a lot more recently, so far 2-4 times a day. When it does I have to power off/on my router to get the lights solid again.

This problem wasnt always there and its a relatively new device I purchased.

Here are my logs for convenience. 

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 12
plemans
Guru

Re: Modem/Router Combo, constant DS Blinking light

do you also have your cable connections page? That helps in connection with the logs.

If you have any splitters, amplifiers, or attenuators in line, remove them. Check the coax for kinks, damage, loose connectors, cheap/bad connectors, or extended coax runs. 

Message 2 of 12
RayDHD
Aspirant

Sorry I took so long to reply. Attatched is the cable logs. Also from the little I can see, nothing seems to be wrong with the coax cable coming out from the wall. It looks like a new cable. The rest of the cable withing the walls I cannot see. So its probably a cable issue?

Message 3 of 12
plemans
Guru

You have a bunch of errors in your line and your power levels are all over the place. If that's not where the coax comes into the home, move it to that spot and try it. If its already where the line comes in, then the isp needs to check the line. 

Message 4 of 12
RayDHD
Aspirant

Thank you soo much. Ill have them know about it asap. I hope you're right about this, i mean what else could it be? It's a new nighthawk modem thats doesnt havea  scratch and used to work fine.

Message 5 of 12
RayDHD
Aspirant

A cox rep actually told me to upgrade my modem.... as if that was the problem. As if this modem isnt light-years better than what they currently offer.

Message 6 of 12
plemans
Guru

Its not the best but its close. its the top of a line docsis 3.0 device. 

Message 7 of 12
RayDHD
Aspirant

An update to my situation. Cox, is useless. They continue to blame the device for the issues i'm having with the downstream connection. I highly doubt it's the devices fault. It used to work just fine with no issues. It just sits there in open spaces If it is the router/modem could I possibly recieve some type of replacement? I'm not sure what to do at this point, I just need the right advice. I don't want to have to send this out for replacement if its actually working as intended.

Message 8 of 12
plemans
Guru

@RayDHD wrote:

An update to my situation. Cox, is useless. They continue to blame the device for the issues i'm having with the downstream connection. I highly doubt it's the devices fault. It used to work just fine with no issues. It just sits there in open spaces If it is the router/modem could I possibly recieve some type of replacement?---You'd have to go through support for that. This is the community forum, not support.  I'm not sure what to do at this point, I just need the right advice. I don't want to have to send this out for replacement if its actually working as intended.

it could be the modem. it could be the line. options? 

1. buy a replacementt modem. if it works fine, its the modem. go through support for replacement

2. rent a modem from ISP to see if it works. 

3. if the rent/buy option doesn't work, it proves it wasn't the modem. have the isp check the line. 

I've had to rent a modem before to prove it wasn't a modem issue. Again, not saying it isn't the modem but its either the modem or the line. Sometimes a 1 month rental fee is worth it. Once you determine modem/line then you fix the issue and return the modem. 

Message 9 of 12
RayDHD
Aspirant

I tried a replacement option... And I have to admit my phone call with a rep from netgear was a hilarious one. Firstly he admited that the device the issue had to do with an update they did and that I would require tech support to fix it. How is that my fault? So I bought a product for netgear costing around $150. A product that's always been faulty due to these issues accoring to the guy. The guy wanted and was pushing me to pay $139 for a one year phone service just to help me with my issue that came with the device.... No offence to anyone, but he was also indian. Nothing hateful against them, but I trully felt like I was being scammed here(we all get those scam calls with indian accents), So I just hung up on the guy. Yes, I used the phone number provided from the netgear website. I am beyond disapointed.

On to the next option I guess.

Message 10 of 12
plemans
Guru

@RayDHD wrote:

Yes, I used the phone number provided from the netgear website. I am beyond disapointed.

On to the next option I guess.

there's no number on the netgear website. It frustrates many people. So people end up googling it and getting a scam site. 

You click on "mynetgear" register an account and the device. From there you go through support. But if its not within the first 90 days of purchase (on new devices) it costs $ to go through support. 

Message 11 of 12
RayDHD
Aspirant

I did get the number from the official website though.. https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

I used that link to go through a proccess that gave me a number to call after clicking on return my defective product.

That website doesnt look fake to me.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7