Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Modems... C3700 vs CM600 (or (CM1000) ??

BLNT
Aspirant

Modems... C3700 vs CM600 (or (CM1000) ??

So, at the location of a vacation home we're looking at - the local (independent, 1-man) cable provider says I'd need to purchase my own modem. He said it needs to be a C3700. Sadly, the max speed he offers is 22 Mbps ... but that's another story.

At any rate, I intend on using my own wifi system, not whatever is baked into the modem.

For purposes of being able to hook up to his system - would the CM600 or CM1000 work equally well (even though he's not familiar with it)? Is there ANY advantage in going with these newer models from the standpoint of better handling of traffic and such... or, at 22 Mbps, should I just stick with the older technology? I'm just trying to maximize my experience in that LOW SPEED world!

BTW - he also runs the local cable TV company, and does not (nor plans to) offer any HD channels as "most people rent these homes out and don't care to spend extra on that"!!

THANKS

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Modems... C3700 vs CM600 (or (CM1000) ??

The capabilities are in speed handling with the CMs as they do support higher and faster speeds. For your ISP services and speed support, I would think that you would not be taking advantage of anything the CMs offer over what the C series can do for you since your ISP speed services are so low. Basically, go with the C3700 and you'll be fine. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

I would check with the ISP to make sure the 600 or 1000 modems are supported by them first off.

If 20Mbps is only max supported download available, then it would be up to you based on what the ISP supports, on weather you want to future proof your self or go with minimal modem model. 

Message 2 of 7
BLNT
Aspirant

Thanks

So, other than just their own max download rate - there's nothing to the newer modems that's superior to the combo one that's recommended?

The ONLY future I'll probably ever deal with there is Star Link !  Even as slow as it is, the cable route is the best option there presently. The max via DSL is a whopping 6 Mbps.

Hopefully the 22 Mbps will be a reliable/steady value, otherwise multiple tasks could very quickly get things bogged down!

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

The CM models are modems only. No build in router or wifi. C series modems have built in routers and wifi. 

Message 4 of 7
BLNT
Aspirant

Correct - that is understood.

My real question (ultimate max speed and WiFi aside) - do the CM's provide any performance enhancements over the C's ? Obviously their spec sheet looks more impressive (increased channel bonding and such), but will it make any difference in my real world experience -- as I'm trying to squeeze as much out of whatever bandwith is there, especially given the pathetic provider speeds.

Thanks

Message 5 of 7
BLNT
Aspirant

Oh, in response to your question as to if those others will work. This is the response I received from the owner:

... there are multiple modems out there that will work I don't know most of them I use the N 600 because I don't want to learn all of the different modem and router combinations that are out there I recommend the N 600 you're welcome to get whatever you like and will try

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

The capabilities are in speed handling with the CMs as they do support higher and faster speeds. For your ISP services and speed support, I would think that you would not be taking advantage of anything the CMs offer over what the C series can do for you since your ISP speed services are so low. Basically, go with the C3700 and you'll be fine. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7