Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My DNS servers of my internet provider are being seen as dos attacks!? I am running a C7000

wolfstep
Tutor

My DNS servers of my internet provider are being seen as dos attacks!? I am running a C7000

My internet providers DNS servers are being seen as DOS attacks. Not just a few times but litterally hundreds per day! It is affecting my routers efficiency!

It makes no sense what so ever, Here is two that just happened, Any help would be greatfully appreciated, I never had these issues with my linksys.

The 50.27.189.xxx:xxxxx is my web and mail server

[DoS attack: TCP- or UDP-based Port Scan] from 208.180.42.100, port 531Wed Jun 08 23:24:27 201650.27.189.xx:xxxxx208.180.42.100:53
[DoS attack: TCP- or UDP-based Port Scan] from 208.180.42.68, port 531Wed Jun 08 23:13:19 201650.27.189.xx:xxxxx208.180.42.68:53

firmware V1.01.15

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 7
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: My DNS servers of my internet provider are being seen as dos attacks!? I am running a C7000

Hello wolfstep 

Have you tried to change your DNS to googles open DNS to see if the same issues are happening.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 7
JaneDoe2
Aspirant

Betreff: My DNS servers of my internet provider are being seen as dos attacks!? I am running a C7000

I have a C7000 and I have this same problem. I also tried the opendns servers and the problem still occurs.
Message 3 of 7
TheEther
Guru

Betreff: My DNS servers of my internet provider are being seen as dos attacks!? I am running a C7000

Try disabling Port Scan and DoS protection in WAN setup on the router.  It disables some extra heuristics, likely buggy, for detecting attacks.  Your home network will still be protected by the built-in NAT and firewall functionality.

Message 4 of 7
wolfstep
Tutor

Re: My DNS servers of my internet provider are being seen as dos attacks!? I am running a C7000

Darren, that is such an easy test it never crossed my mind. I will try it let everyone know. Sometimes the most easiest are the most hard to come up with. Thanks!
Message 5 of 7
wolfstep
Tutor

While that crossed my mind, as a business,i have to keep tabs on the losers that are actually pounding my business connection. I really wish netgear had SNMP ability on their personal routers. This is a replacement they traded me up to because the one I had originally didn't have a functioning firewall nor a working port forwarding . So I will have to make do as I can't afford the commercial version.
Message 6 of 7
wolfstep
Tutor

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7