Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: My Netgear C6300 wifi modem gives me only 75mbs when i use wifi and 300 when i use ethernet.

nicosia2013
Aspirant

My Netgear C6300 wifi modem gives me only 75mbs when i use wifi and 300 when i use ethernet.

My new Netgear C6300 wifi modem gives me only 75mbs when i use wifi and 300 when i use ethernet cable.

I have TWC 300 mbs conection.

I dont know why i get only 60 - 75 mbs in wifi even being close to the wifi modem.

Any help please????

i want to get at least 200mbs using wifi

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 10
VE6CGX
Master

Re: My Netgear C6300 wifi modem gives me only 75mbs when i use wifi and 300 when i use ethernet.

Two things, on which band? Are you using -ac mode WiFi card? Always WiFi speed is less than that of wired connection  but your case is too much different. Did you set up the wireless configuration properly?

Message 2 of 10
nicosia2013
Aspirant

hi ve6cgx and thanks in advance.

im very bad in computers matters.

i have conected to my wifi modem my mac book

i dont know which band iam using, how can i get that info?

i didnt set up or change anything, just conected and called TWC and they activated my modem.

Should i change the wirelles configuration? i notice that i have a 5ghz wireless too, should i use that one?

thank you.

Message 3 of 10
VE6CGX
Master

Usually having different SSID between 2.4GHz and 5GHz band is good idea. 

Message 4 of 10
nicosia2013
Aspirant

so whats your advice? what you think i can do to get at least 200mbs on wifi ??

Message 5 of 10
VE6CGX
Master

I'd use 5GHz band first of all if possible re: range. And better have -ac mode capable WiFi card in your laptop or PC.

Then configure 5GHz wireless band on the router,  assuming WMM is already enabled; select higher channel like 149 or 153,

select WPA2-AES security protocol, select bandwidth  to 40MHz, select speed to max value like upto xxxx. And see what happens..

Message 6 of 10
Moleary619
Aspirant

Having a very similar problem here, getting over 300 Mbps on ethernet but 40-50 on wifi with a Netgear c7000. Also I can see my 5G on my phone but not on my laptop. The laptop is a Acre Aspire E1-737 and has a Qualcomm Atheros AR956x Wireless Network Adaptor if that helps. Any input or help would be much appreciated, thanks for your time.

Message 7 of 10
VE6CGX
Master

I think that card is basic single band -b/g/n WiFi card. Many low end budget laptops have them .  But there is a possibility to upgrade it with better card if you are handy so you can open the laptop and take a look first.

Message 8 of 10
Moleary619
Aspirant

I was thinking that was the case, but I know it can go up to 150mbps Link speed at least but its stuck at 65 now, any way to change that back?

Message 9 of 10
VE6CGX
Master

That is max. theoritical speed. In real life if one can get ~2/3 of wired connection speed, that is very good. It depends signal strength, how you configure the wireless on the router. For good wirless connection. I'd say signal strength of 60dbm or better(lower number). Actually the value indicates attenuation. So high number is bad(weaker signal).Also noise, adjacent channel interference(specially on crowded 2.4GHz band), etc. also some additional  factors.

Any radio communication is 2 way.    Router TX >>>> device RX

Device TX >>>> router RX   here usually device end is weaker link but folks tent to think only about router

forgetting this fact. Router has bigger antenna produces max(legally) 100mW TX power but laptops have poor antenna imbedded in the frame,

low flea TX power ouput, etc. Even tho router signal radiation p[attern is omni directional it is not really so due to surroundings. Not to close to walls, facing device braad sided of router, playing with antenna stick angles,etc. Wave length of router signal is very short, so moving router even a foot to this or that way often yields improved signal level at particular device end. By experiemnting I know where is the best spot for my router's location in my house...That is upstairs loft where my work station and HAM radio shack are located.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7