Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

N300 C3000 Wifi connectivity issues

CK1190
Follower

N300 C3000 Wifi connectivity issues

First off I'd just like to affirm that I'm not the most tech savvy person, so I apologize if I use incorrect terms to describe my problem in advance, but I will do my best to explain my particular issues.

Recently we upgraded to a new cable ISP which meant we had to a cable modem and for some reason the N300 was chosen (I personally dislike the company as I always seem to have issues with their hardware). When I use anything that is directly hardlined (wired) into the device I get a great connection, but when it comes to any wireless device it is problem central with frequent connectivity interruptions, altogether dropping out of connection, really poor quality connections and just generally unstable and for the most part unusable connections - despite being less than 20 feet at all times from the modem/router. I contacted my ISP who said that everything was checking out on their end, which I tend to believe given that as I stated above everything works just fine if a device is wired, and was told I'd need to contact Netgear which I did. After almost 45 minutes of hold time I eventually spoke to someone who basically just had me change the channel and told me that would resolve the problem and to wait 6 hours for the network to stabilize, which I did, and still nothing had changed. So I spoke to a friend who's more tech inclined than myself and he suggested I might need a wifi range extender so I bought one (N300) and it seemed to boost the connection and make it more stable, but it still it has it's moments where it acts up and disconnects and I get connected back to the main connection from the modem, and for some reason it always gives me a strict type 3 NAT which I don't want and have no clue how to change. I've checked various guides and how-to videos on getting a more optimal NAT type, but nothing seems to change the status and most of the guides feature screenshots of a router ui that is entirely different from my own with options that don't seem available to me unless I'm missing something here so I figured I'd come here and ask for help from someone more knowledgeable than myself.

Also on a side question: if I'm connecting a device via the extender do I need to access the interface for the extender to change settings for that device for port forwarding and such? Or do I just do all of that via the modem interface itself?

Many thanks and again apollogies if I've confused you all and sorry for using the word connection about a million times.

Chris

Message 1 of 2
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: N300 C3000 Wifi connectivity issues

Hello Ck1190

To get the Nat type to not be strict you would have to open ports for those devices and you would do this all in the router not the extender.

DarrenM 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7